What's new

Paradigm Speakers Monitor 9's and 11's. (1 Viewer)

HIFI

Auditioning
I have been researching the 9's and the 11's and I am thinking about giving them a listen. Does anyone own these or has anyone listened to them? I have not yet but I am thinking about upgrading to these with a matching center to go with them.I currently have the Boston Acoustic VR 90's and a VRC Center. Also has anyone listened to theCenter 3? Any advice would be great. I am wanting a little more bass than I am getting with the VR90's. I have had them for 14 years. Aslo, would they sound ok with the surrounds being Boston accoustis? These are the older Boston's with the VR tweeters in them.Thanks,HIFI

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
HIFI said:
Aslo, would they sound ok with the surrounds being Boston accoustis? These are the older Boston's with the VR tweeters in them. Thanks, HIFI
Don't be concerned about matching the fronts to the surrounds.

You should be concerned about mixing the Paradigms with either of your existing centers.

Mismatching the front three speakers should be avoided for home theater use. If you're considering investing in a nice pair of Paradigm mains, you should also get the matching center (the Center 3).

HIFI

Auditioning
I totally agree with you. I failed to mention that I was going to get a matching center if I pulled he trigger. Thank you for you advice and for your timme. Have you ever listened to the monitors?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Paradigm, like Totem and Energy(as long as it came before Audiovox/Klipsch involvement)...Are Canadian. Ergo, they are highly thought of.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have a CC-370 center around here someplace and it's an excellent speaker. But my other Paradigms are Studio's so I haven't used the 370 in a while. I thought the CC-370 matched the Studio's very well but found a Studio CC-450 for a good price so I'm using it now instead.

Sam, you forgot PSB :cheers: .

HIFI

Auditioning
I have heard that some of the paradigm line is made in China. Some say the QC is done in Canada and then made in China. I wonder what that will do to the quality of the product. I have seen where some say it just the monitor line. I guess if they keep the same system in place it will be ok. Hard to tell unless you take a tour of both places. I still think they make a quality product though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lots of "designed in X country, made in PRC" exists. (PRC is commonly used to try and hide Chinese made)

I could type all day...

SVS Ultra
BIC DV

To name two.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want "definitely made in the USA"...

Zu
Leon
Pinnacle(they are suspect anymore...back when I sold them wholesale they were 100% US)
James
Salk
Ohm Walsh

But you can forget...in the vast case, about American made drivers(but thankfully...drivers are typically "not PRC" anyway)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
HIFI said:
I have heard that some of the paradigm line is made in China. Some say the QC is done in Canada and then made in China. I wonder what that will do to the quality of the product. I have seen where some say it just the monitor line. I guess if they keep the same system in place it will be ok. Hard to tell unless you take a tour of both places. I still think they make a quality product though.
Where its made makes little difference, except maybe in price. Its about a good design, excellent materials and strong quality control. Thats what makes a quality product. Youd be surprised the number of highly regarded companies who sell great products, all made in China.BTW I think Paradigm is one of the few companies who makes all their drivers in-house (Canada).

HIFI

Auditioning
Going to listen to the Paradigms today. Also, I was going to listen to a pair of Revel's 206 and the Golden Ear line of floor standing speakers. Does anybody own any of those two or has anyone listened to them? I have read that they both sound great but the Revel's have a tweeter that can be a bit bright if you have a room with hard reflective surfaces but other than that I hear it is an excellent speaker. Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,HIFI

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you are going to compare the entry level Paradigm against the mid-level Revel that costs twice as much...And compare folded ribbon to two different ways to do aluminum. Good luck with that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have Paradigm Monitor 7s from the early 90s (think I bought them the month the first DVDs launched) and they sound as good today in my family room as they did the day I bought em. I splurged for my new basement HT and bought the Studio 100s for down there but I could have been happy with current level Monitors down there too, regardless of country of origin...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Magnepan 1.7 is $2000, the 3.7 is $5500(closeout 3.6 have been as low as $4000, It you find any).If worried about how "this or that sounds bright"...Audition some Maggie.

HIFI

Auditioning
schan1269 said:
So you are going to compare the entry level Paradigm against the mid-level Revel that costs twice as much...And compare folded ribbon to two different ways to do aluminum. Good luck with that.
I just want to get a feel for what is out there. I know they are in two different worlds. I also wanted to see what the difference would be between the Paradigms and the Golden Ear line as far as sound and technology. I know the tweeters are different but until I hear them (Paradigm and Golden Ear) I have no idea how different.

HIFI

Auditioning
HIFI said:
I just want to get a feel for what is out there. I know they are in two different worlds. I also wanted to see what the difference would be between the Paradigms and the Golden Ear line as far as sound and technology. I know the tweeters are different but until I hear them (Paradigm and Golden Ear) I have no idea how different.
Roger that.

HIFI

Auditioning
I listened to the Triton 7, the B&W 683, and the Paradigm Monitors. I also just for the fun I listened to the Revel 206. I liked them all but I was most impressed with the Triton's. I have high ceilings and hardwood so the smoothness and yet detailed sound of the tweeters in the Tritons I thought were the best thing for me. I loved the Revel 206 . It sounded amazing and looked even more amazing. What craftsmanship! However those were a little out of my range. I checked out the the centers that went with the 7's but I did not listen to them but from what I have read I hear they match very well with the fronts. I turn 50 in August and cut grass during the spring and summer for extra cash so I am going to wait until my B-Day to decide if I want to pull the trigger. I can get those speakers and the large center for $1665 for everything. I have a good relationship with my sales guy and I send him a lot of other people so he takes care of me. Thanks you for your input. I truly appreciate your time.HIFI

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks