What's new

Panny prog scan...which one ? (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Now that I am finally getting close to making the upgrade to WS and prog scan, I cannot remember exactly which Panny prog scan dvd player kept getting rave reviews.

Was it the Rp56 or Rp91 ? Is the 91 $100s better than the 56 ?

I remember quite a few people gave a lot of praise to one of the Panasonic players, it seemed like very few had qualms with their performance, and the price was really good too.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
It's seems like the general consensus is that the RP-91 has the superior picture quality, whereas the RP-56 possesses the better de-interlacing technology. It's really a compromise and you will have to decide what is more important to you. Due to its very low price point, the RP56 has been received with much enthusiasm.

- bjorg

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well if the 91 has superior picture, what could be better than that ?

A better de-interlacer...doesn't that = better picture.

hmmm.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I am not certain that the consensus is emprically with the RP-91 when it comes to picture quality. I think the RP-56 wins in this department in my opinion because of its de-interlacer. Faroudja or Genesis? Many (in fact, most in the business) say that the former is the better chip. The RP-91 does have better build quality than the RP-56 and does DVD audio. However, they both produce beautiful images, and would not give a clear edge to either in the picture department.

Reggie

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I had both the RP91 and RP56 in my HT at one point (but not side-by-side). By picture quality, I meant in particular color saturation. Although, I decided on keeping the RP56, I always feel like the picture is slightly veiled. Simply put, not as rich. However, I do appreciate the DCDi circuitry on a lot of video material and the better de-interlacer was a plus.

I can only recommend you try them out yourself. Personally, if the RP91 came out with a Sage/SiImg de-interlacer, I would retire the RP56 in a heartbeat.

Just an opinion, of course.

- bjorg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks