What's new

Pairing a sytem with a couple of floorstanding speakers? (1 Viewer)

Spinnerz

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
First and for most, I am not really an audiophile at all I am just looking for a nice speaker set up for a smaller room. I know a true audiophile would hate this set up I am asking about but for me I just want something that will sound good to someone who has a average ear for audio.
I already have the Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floor standing speakers and a Sony 945W 7.1 AV receiver. I found the Klipsch HD 500 system for $150 and thinking this is a great price for the product I could possibly pair with the floor standing speakers and receiver I already have to complete a 7.1 system.
So I guess some of the questions I have are...
Will these products even work together?
Would this set up work out well and produce a quality sound?
Will the floorstanding speakers over power the rest of the set up?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That is a good price for a popular product. The biggest issue is the Klipsch center speaker is quite a bit different from the Pioneer floorstanders. This will cause the center to sound different than the mains which might be a bit of a problem since they both produce the same content, often at the same time. Pioneer center would be a better idea. They're on sale for $60 once in a while at Amazon or newegg.com among others.
2 Pairs of these (sale ends today!) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405 and one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404 would be better and be the same price shipped with the promo codes.

Spinnerz

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
What if I just bought the pionner center channel but then still used the sats and sub from the HD 500?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That would be better. The satellites don't really need to match the fronts/center. But Klipsch and Pioneer are pretty far apart in the way they sound. Klipsch is pretty bright, Pioneer pretty laid-back.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll throw out the caveat of most forums...
We(as in the people that have been doing this for years...and all of this is "old hat") tend to forget a simple basic fact...
"Sound from something, is better than no sound from anything"
I didn't look at the price of that HD 500, but I know how inexpensive it has been, and for what it is...it provides sound.
Again, sound from something, is better than no sound from anything.
Are there better choices out there? Of course there are. But we don't know your room acoustics. We don't know where you are placing these things. We don't know if you have carpet. We don't know if you have paintings all over your wall. Lastly, and most important...we don't know what your "that will break me and cause me to sleep on the couch for months cause the wife is po'd."

Spinnerz

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
First thanks for your guy's answers. And ill try to answer some of your questions schan.
Sorry I cant really provide pictures at this time but ill try to give a little discription
~Ok first off the room is almost a complete square with dimensions of 13x14.
~The room has wood floors but there is 10X8 area rug in the middle of the room.
~The tv sits in the middle of one wall, The wall to the right of the tv has a nice sized window and the wall to the left and a big archway opening that leads into the next room.
~There's a bookcase and a a nice sized mirror hanging on the other wall.
~And then there is a couch.
A far as my price range, I am mainly just looking for entry level speakers. I already have the receiver and the tower speakers so i guess I am willing to spend $500 or less on the rest. I guess the reason why I am even looking at the Klipsch 500 is because of the solid price for which I can get them at. Eventually, if I do get the Kilpsch 500 I would replace all the sat speakers with actually surround sound speakers and a nice sub. Then I would move the Klipsch system into my other TV room. (Just the idea I have.)
Hope that helps answer some questions...

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking to do something similar. I have a center to match my towers but am looking for a 5 speaker set to add surrounds and wides or heights etc. Anyway what I have been looking at is the Mirage sat speakers. They seem quality built and the omnipolar design seems to be good for back ground sound/music, I hate when I can locate the rear speakers.
They seem to be found for ~500 on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks