What's new
World Wide Stereo

painting the walls dark (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
We are preparing to move in a month or so. We are currently renting but will be buying. We have a room set aside for movies and things we don't want the kids dirty hands on and I have the go ahead to paint it very dark. It is going to have gray carpet, a black front / screen wall and charcoal colored side / rear walls. Currently we have white walls in the living room where my Sanyo Z3 and diy gray screen live.

I know that LCD projectors do not offer the best black levels but I am kind of disappointed with what I am getting.. even with gray screens. Is painting the walls dark going to help in a huge way or is it just going to be little differences here and there, like, the walls not being lit up?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Painting the walls a dark color will help, but not in a huge way. Even more important than the walls, is painting the ceiling very dark, preferably flat black. The worst thing would be to have a white ceiling. The light from the projector will bounce right off the ceiling onto the screen.

ScottBA

Agent
In the home theater I built I went w/ a red/black combo on the walls w/ the lower half done in black carpeting.

The ceiling in flat black. Best way to go. I get no glare or shine from it all. The only drawback is if marks or scuffs or fingerprints get on it, it's near impossible to remove w/out repainting a new coat. Just DONT allow anyone to touch the ceiling. lol

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Is your ceiling textured? I have never painted a textured surface so I am a bit nervous about it! Did you paint the entire ceiling? I have see a lot of folks just paint a triange in the "beam" path and I have seen some just paint out a few feet. I suspect I will do the whole ceiling, but, like I said....i'm not looking forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks