What's new

Outlaw Audio 950 Beta Testers: Have they all been notified? (1 Viewer)

Sam Sugob

Auditioning
The application processs ended on Monday, and with their announced desire to get this unit into out hands by Thanksgiving, I am assuming they are moving as quickly as possible.
Does anyone know if Outlaw has already contacted all 5 of the beta testers?
I need a new preamp processor and may have the opportunity to get a perfect BK ref 30 demo unit for cheap, but have been waiting to see if I was selected for Outlaw beta testing before pursuing other options.
If they have not yet notified the beta testers, does anyone know the timeline that Outlaw plans to follow?
Thanks!
Sam

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Given their apparently short time frame to get production units out the door, coupled with what they said about selections being completed by this week, I would guess that their best case scenario would be that all 5 beta testers would have been notified Monday and would have all agreed to the terms of the testing. I'm sure they were accounting for various bumps, such as not hearing back from some of those originally selected, not obtaining agreement from all those selected, etc. As such, they allowed a full week for this process.
There may be a small chance that a slot or two is still open, but I would think the probability would be small. No offense intended to you, Sam, but for most of us waiting for production and shipping to begin, selection and agreement from all selectees on Monday would be in our best interests.
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
And how about the promised photos of the 950 preamp? Outlaw were supposed to post pictures of the 950 on their site this week.
Razvan

John Cain

Second Unit
Razvan, I keep checking their site daily looking for the 950 pics too.
------------------

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I just took a look at the specs for this pramp and my mouth began to drowl. Too bad the Canadian $$ is taking a tumble, otherwise this could me the preamp I need to make my final move to seperates.
Kevin

W

Will

Does anyone know if Beta Testing has started?
Has Outlaw confirmed they are in Beta Test?

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard anything??? When will this be available?? Before Christmas or early in the new year????
------------------

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Lastest info was sent out via email. They say that the 950 will be delayed by a few weeks (from their Thanksgiving release) to add DD-EX. The beta testing is supposed to continue as planned (first week of November). So if there are no additional delays, they state that we'll have production units available for Christmas. I hope they're right. I'm always worried about new releases and quantities available for first release. Look at video game consoles. Always not enough initial units.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sam- I would personally be surprised if the Outlaw came anywhere close to the performance of the B&K.
But ya never know! :)
------------------

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that the beta tests have started but I wonder why they posted pics of a 950 alpha unit on their website and not of a beta unit? Maybe the beta units aren't in yet?
According to Outlaw the 950 should be available for shipment in a month or so. If the beta tests haven't started yet then they won't be able to make it by Christmas... If they keep on postponing the 950 I'd rather wait until summer and get the new Sony TA-E10 preamp. The Sony will be more expensive - $3000 MSRP, probably $2200 - $2400 on the net - but it will have firewire and it will be upgradeable. The nice thing about Sony is that they have an excellent history of upgrading their units. They released 3 or 4 upgrades for the Sony TA-E9000Es preamp and at least 2 upgrades for the DA777ES receiver. 2 years from now the Outlaw will be outdated but the Sony won't.
Razvan

Doug_B

Screenwriter
If they're not shipping one out to me prior to Christmas week, I'll probably go with something else. I've got my amps coming in mid-December and my speakers in probably a week after that. Since I am taking Christmas week off and am very busy at work starting January, I really can't hold off the home audition of all the equipment, and I have no DD/DTS processor.
My most likely candidate for Plan B at this time is the Anthem AVM 20. A dealer offered it to me for > 20% off. Haven't listened to it yet. Any other choices people are planning if Outlaw doesn't come through in a timely manner, assuming you can't wait?
Doug
------------------

Doug_B

Screenwriter
That depends on what you want to spend these days for a pre/pro with DPL II.
Well, anyone answering my question with other models that they are considering would give us an idea how much they may be willing to spend. As for the Anthem AVM 20, I am saying I may be willing to spend over $1600 more than the 950 (perish the thought, just get that 950 out prior to Christmas).
BTW, I don't believe that the AVM 20 came out of the chute with DPL II (Motorola chip), and I don't recall the upgradability potential with this unit.
Doug
------------------

TomH

Second Unit
Almost no options in reasonably priced preamps. Thats why Outlaw is able to delay the 950 indefinately.

MC1 (used) $2000. to $2500. EOL

Ref 30 $2000. (No DPL2) B&K will not respond to upgrade inquiries.

A multitude of $1000 receivers. Still not really a preamp.

I wonder how close a Denon or ES receiver can come to dedicated pre/pros.

TAE9000 $1000. Only 5.1

Anthem NO DPL2

AVC2500 $1600. Only 5.1, No DPL2

Sherwood Possibly the next reasonably priced preamp.

No release date?

Rotel Possibly a new product next year.

Old Marantz and Denon models Only 5.1, No DPL2

Outlaw has replaced the earlier 7.1 input on the 950 with a 5.1 input. (still has 7.1 out). Is this an issue for anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.