What's new
World Wide Stereo

Out of Whack (1 Viewer)

JohnAngelo

Auditioning
Real Name
john zilli
I have a Denon avr 687 coupled with Klipsch quintet iii speakers. I calibrated using the set up mic. My frustration is that the sound is GREAT but, movie music, movie noise/sound, walks all over and overpowers the dialogue. In order to to hear the dialogue I my system has to be put at a louder that I would like level. Do I just need to raise the level of my center speaker? Small room 10x12. Standard 5.1 set up. Just a noob. Thanks for your help!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even though you calibrated it, I would raise the center channel volume and see if it helps. I usually raise it a little for movies and lower it a little for music. But if you have to change it more than a little bit, there may be some other issue. May I ask what volume levels you came up with after calibration? As an example, mine were fr/l +2, c 0, fr/r +3, s/r -1, s/l -1 and sub -3.

JohnAngelo

Auditioning
Real Name
john zilli
Gene,
Thanks for your help. Values are as follows:
FL +3.5 FR +4.0 C -2.5 SR &SL -2.5 SW -9.5 What does this tell you!? Thanks again!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was just curious to see what the Denon mic came up with. I've tried Pioneer, Onkyo and H/K's auto setups and found that doing it myself with a setup disc and an spl meter always worked better for me. Still, without knowing your room configuration, a 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 db difference between the center and fronts does seem a bit much. I'd boost the center to at least 0 or +1 and see if it helps. And the sub @ -9.5. Does that work for you? Seems quite low to me.

JohnAngelo

Auditioning
Real Name
john zilli
Gene,
I just know what my ears are telling me: soft dialogue and not enough sub(now that you mention it). I think I put too much stock in the calibration mic and need to tweak with a set up disk and spl meter. Thanks for getting me on the right track!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sometimes the old fashioned way is the best way! Remember, if it sounds good to you, then it is good! Regardless of what the numbers say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks