What's new

Our top 10's of 2000 - Time to throw down (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Revised on January 17, 2001 to include O Brother, Where Art Thou?.
Second revision on April 4 to include Dancer In The Dark and The Contender.
For the time being, my top 10 are:
1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. By far the best of 2000. A Masterpiece.
2. Erin Brockovich Julia Roberts best performance to date and also Soderberg's best of 2000.
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou? The Coens at the top of their form. A laugh riot. Owen Gleiberman must be on crack. :)
4. Billy Elliot A remarkably well acted audience pleasing film. Young Jamie Bell should get an Oscar nom.
5. Fantasia 2000 A worthy sucessor to the 1940 classic.
6. Gladiator The summers best film and gets better every time I watch it.
7.The Perfect Storm An exciting, emotional rollercoaster
that delivered on all levels.
8.Dancer In The Dark..A haunting, mesmerising, remarkable film by Lars Von Trier with a heartwrenching amazing performance by Bjork. Wow.
9.The Contender..A very good story and great performances by Joan Allen, Jeff Bridges, Gary Oldman, and Sam Elliot elevate this political thriller into top 10 territory.
10.Frequency The spring sleeper hit that was mind bending and deeply personal at the same time.
Honorable Mentions:
Space Cowboys Clint Eastwood's geriatric version of Armageddon which turned out to be a surprisingly entertaining well acted film.
High Fidelity Told a similar story in the vein of Almost Famous but was better, funnier, and more entertaining than that somewhat, IMO, overrated film.
Yet to see.. You Can Count On Me, 13 Days, Finding Forrester, Quills, Requiem For A Dream but will probably catch most of these on DVD so my list is probably 95% complete. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well I snuck in The Way of the Gun before going to State and Main tonight.
Pretty good film. The best aspect is the intelligence of the characters. It's nice to see a crime drama unfold where all the characters are very smart and well-balanced against each other. The film itself is not exceptionally stylish. I felt that it was a pretty good screenplay that was told pretty conservatively. Hardly a crime, but it also didn't grab my attention as much as it might have.
The gunplay sequences were all very solid and intelligent though. Similar to Heat in that regard. Not sure if it makes my list or not, I guess I'll go look at the list and think about it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Updated my picks and added in more of the list since I have now seen CTHD and can heartily recommend it to anyone within shouting distance. I have it tied with Requiem For A Dream because both were so different and yet so very good in their own way that I couldn't short-shrift either one on my list.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Screw that Patrick, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
wink.gif
(in my best Highlander reference voice)
I'm updating for State and Main which I won't go into here (see the review thread for my comments), but it's not going to make my top 10.
frown.gif

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
  1. Requiem For A Dream
  2. Traffic
  3. Gladiator
  4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  5. Cast Away
  6. You Can Count On Me
  7. Unbreakable
  8. Dancer In The Dark
  9. Malena
  10. American Psycho

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
A ton of films was released here over the weekend and I saw three (13 Days, CTHD, and O Brother). All three were good, but only CTHD made my top 10, which has been updated accordingly.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Updated to add Traffic to my list. I also almost added 13 Days, but I'm going to think about that a little more.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...40
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Going by the IMdb's dates as to when a film was released wide in the US in 2000 (I don't care if some of these films were at Cannes in 1999 or played LA/NY on Xmas).
Magnolia*
O Brother Where Art Thou
Almost Famous
Traffic
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
The Virgin Suicides
Best In Show
Erin Brockovich
High Fidelity
Shanghai Noon
Honorable Mentions (Reissues)
A Hard Days Night
Legend of the Drunken Master
* OK, this was on my best of 1999 too, but if I didn't include it I would only have a top 9. Maybe when I can finally see Wonder Boys I'll change my Top 10.

Adrian_C

Auditioning
Oooppps! Sorry Seth, please see my continuing most updated Top 10 list somewhere in page 5 of this thread.
I'll try to watch a lot more (films that are in everyone's list
wink.gif
) this week ... Thanks!

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
In order of personal preference:
1. Billy Elliot
2. Almost Famous
3. Traffic
4. Yi Yi
5. Requiem for a Dream
6. High Fidelity
7. Croupier
8. Nurse Betty
9. Dancer in the Dark
10. Bamboozled
After adding Requiem, Dancer and Bamboozled, Sunshine, The Contender and Unbreakable have fallen off the list. I still maintain very high opinions of the films.
edited 3/10/01

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Updated my list on page 2 to include O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and additional comments on my top 10.
Seth
You were right on with your assesment of O Brother... I loved it and also consider it to be one of the Coen brothers best films.
BTW, If you want a quck fix till the DVD is released, pick up the soundtrack. It's a doozy. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Aaron Hose

Grip
Well, so far it looks like this:
1. You Can Count On Me - A++++
2. Requiem For A Dream - A+++
3. Keeping the Faith - A
4. Erin Brockovich - A
5. Unbreakable - A-
6. Chocolat - A-
7. Pay It Forward - B+
8. Girlfight - B+
9. Cast Away - B+
10. What Lies Beneath - B+
If my top ten could be stretched out just a tad, I would include...
Finding Forrester - So it was another Good Will Hunting... Who cares? The story was still very inspiring. To me, at least - B
Traffic - Pretty damn good; not great. Does look like a film that may grow on me with time though - B
Chicken Run - Gotta respect those guys for having the creativity and patience to put something as entertaining as this together - B
State and Main - Very funny, indeed. Mamet was a little too quick for me, but I still absorbed enough to enjoy most of it - B
Possible 'top ten' films I have yet to see are...
Yi Yi
Pollock
Before Night Falls
Billy Elliot
Croupier
Girl on the Bridge
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
George Washington
Sunshine
Shadow of the Vampire
Malena
Highly acclaimed films that did not 'fully' click with
me were...
Almost Famous - Good writing, but I just couldn't relate to any of the characters - C+
Wonder Boys - Again, good writing, but way too slow, and just not all that interesting, period - C
Gladiator - Come on, guys... Yes, it was entertaining, has lots of action and has a semi-decent story, but -even though I do have it on DVD - was it really that good?!?! Good enough to deserve all these high accolades?! Don't think so. To me it's just another enjoyable big-bugeted summer epic - B-
Guilty pleasures...
Charlie's Angels - I just can't get enough of'em.
The Perfect Storm - Yeah, a corny ending, but still, I left the theater exhausted and very saddened. The alst film that had this effect on me was Titanic. And that, to me, says a lot about the movie.
Remember the Titans - Though quite formulaic, it had some very solid performances backed up by strong themes.
VERDICT: Last year ended well, but was hampered by a roster of some of the least entertaining films I have seen in recent years.
cool.gif

- A.
PS: List will be updated as I go along.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I posted my Best a few pages back but I saw Croupier the other day and loved it. I urge people to see this movie.
Here are my other favorites...
* Gladiator
* You Can Count on Me
* Dinosaur
* Frequency
* Requiem for a Dream
* Broken Hearts Club
* Almost Famous
* Meet The Parents
* Charlie's Angels
* Erin Brockovich

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, If you want a quck fix till the DVD is released, pick up the soundtrack. It's a doozy.
Brother, I already did the day after (last SAT). :)
And tonight my girlfriend says "We should do a second dose of Brother." Maybe she is coming around.
wink.gif

Unfortunately I am paying strict adherence to my "to see" list which means Tiger and Snatch are this FRI and SAT. Then I have Cast Away to fit in and I would like to catch New Groove at some point. After Vampire I think I'm going to have to back way off for a while. Maybe a Brother/Vampire weekend to finish off the month. :)
Not only did she want to see it a second time, but she requested the soundtrack as well. I was already on my way to get it by then. Of course the next day she wants to take it to work with her.
I guess it's no surprise when you consider one of her all-time favorite jokes is "...not unless round is funny."
biggrin.gif

------------------
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well, and live."
I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, I just want to thank FOX for Say Anything on DVD.
Thank Peter for listening to us.

CharlieD

Grip
1. Requiem for a Dream
2. CTHD
3. Almost Famous
4. American Psycho
5. Traffic
6. O Brother Where Art Thou
7. Unbreakable
8. High Fidelity
9. Remember the Titans
10. 13 Days
The first two on my list really stand out. I don't think that any of the other movies I saw are close to challenging for those spots. Numbers 3-8 are pretty interchangable I think. All have strengths and weaknesses. Remember the Titans and 13 Days were solid, but there are few others that I have yet to see.
It always amazes me when I walk out of movie thinking that there is no way anyone liked it only to see it on someone else's top ten list... Pay it Forward, Final Destination, Me, Myself and Irene?! MMI might be the worst studio film I have ever seen. Honestly, It is up there with The Jerky Boys and The Phantom on my all-time worst films I have ever seen. I can't believe anyone even liked it, let alone put it on their top ten list. I would rather Ted Danson's new sitcom for three hours than that horrible piece of crap for even five minutes.
I could go on and on about that garbage movie, but I won't. I will let you all get on to read more lists.

Darren H

Second Unit
Charlie, I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but the only reason Me, Myself, and Irene (what a pile of horse shit) is on my list is because I've only seen 6 movies that were released in 2000. What can I say? My wife loves Jim Carrey so we usually see his movies the weekend they open. I probably should have stayed out of the thread, but, hey, the game looked fun and I wanted to play.
wink.gif

Like I said, give me year to watch the great 2000 releases at home and I promise I'll put together a much more presentable list. BTW, I'm almost ready to post my Best of 1999. Where'd that thread go?
------------------
sig2.jpg

S&S Challenge: 70 56
Read a book!

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I'd just like to interject that I thought at the beginning of this thread it stated that ppl wouldn't question or put down others choices. Guess some can't follow the rules.
It's a shame too, cause my top 5 almost mirrors Charlie's...and while I enjoyed American Psycho, I imagine others might think it a gratituous piece of trash.. though they wouldn't say... cause they followed the request of the thread poster.
For the record, Requiem for a Dream was my favorite movie of the year and I'm glad to see a lot of people on here agree.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks