What's new

Our top 10's of 2000 - Time to throw down (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, discussion is allowed and encouraged in this thread as long as you post a list first. :)
I think the mistake is not that there is no difference in small or large films, but that studios CAN'T make small films. Sure they can. They can have a seperate branch that hands out small amounts of money and allows more freedom as well, with the intent of the film being a smaller release.
I never said smaller means not as good, nor does indy or small guarantee quality either. But just ask Kevin Smith how different the process becomes when big money (and with it, studio execs) gets involved.
Smaller films usually try to be something different than larger films. Riskier material, less stars usually (can't afford them), less effects, less money even for film and editing, music rights, scoring, maybe even money to purchase a big name script.
The studios are pursuing these avenues because there are good margins to be made that go with the risk. It's no different than diversifying your portfolio. They put in less money, and they give the production more freedom since they have less on the line. If you drop in $1 million to 5 films and 4 flop but the 5th makes $20 million, you just cashed in. But put $75 million in and you want to make sure you know what you are getting for that money, you can't afford it to take any chance or make any missteps.
Part of what you are arguing is that WE shouldn't MEASURE these films differently. I'm not saying we should. I'm saying we got teams from the AL and the NL and that while we may have good NL teams this season, the AL teams are below par. They all get measured by baseball rules, but one league isn't producing the quality of teams it usually does, while the other one is. So while we can still put together a good top 10, we end up much thinner in a top 30 with no big film support for the year. Normally some of these smaller films would be rounding out the various top 20-30 lists rather than pulling the wagon for the year.
Foreign, indy, and small films are still strong this year. But big films have been almost nothing but missteps or failures. Cast Away, Gladiator, Traffic and Erin B being the primary films of quality with any decent backing. And under normal years the Soderbergh films would be pushed aside to back a studio's bigger, stronger contender. This year they know their big chance lies with him, so Erin gets a rerelease and Traffic gets more ad work.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Top 10 (2000)

1. Requiem For A Dream
  1. Memento
  2. Quills
  3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  4. Dancer In The Dark
  5. Almost Famous
  6. The Dish
  7. Traffic
  8. Gladiator
  9. High Fidelity[/list=1]

Ineligible: Sunshine (1999)

Honorable Mentions: Amores Perros (Love's A Bitch), You Can Count On Me, Snatch, Pollock, Remember The Titans, Wonder Boys, House Of Mirth,

American Psycho, Frequency, Final Destination, O' Brother, Where Art Thou?, Thirteen Days, In The Mood For Love.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Updated 07/27/2001:
1. Sunshine
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. Requiem for a Dream
4. Erin Brockovich
5. The Contender
6. Tigerland
7. Traffic
8. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
9. The Virgin Suicides
10. Malena
The best of the rest, in order:
Shadow of the Vampire, Quills, Jesus' Son, Chocolat, Wonder Boys, Almost Famous, Fantasia 2000, State and Main, The Five Senses, The Claim, Pollock, Yi Yi, Butterfly, Before Night Falls, All The Pretty Horses, Best in Show, Gladiator, You Can Count On Me, Chicken Run, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, Thirteen Days, The Gift, Bring It On, My Dog Skip, The Family Man, The House of Mirth, What Women Want, Billy Elliott, East Is East, Saving Grace, Rules of Engagement, Cast Away, Finding Forrester, Cotton Mary, Snatch, The Big Kahuna, Unbreakable, Wonderland, Me Myself I, Remember the Titans, High Fidelity, The Patriot, Meet The Parents, Keeping The Faith, The Perfect Storm, Pay It Forward, U-571, 28 Days, Disney's The Kid, What Planet Are You From?, The Cell, Dancer In the Dark, Hollow Man, The Whole Nine Yards, Shanghai Noon, American Psycho, Boiler Room, What Lies Beneath, Reindeer Games
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."
[Edited last by Rob Willey on July 27, 2001 at 12:42 PM]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen alot this year.Still have to see Traffic,Shadow of the Vampire,Croutching Tiger..., and lots more-especially looking foward to Oh Brother... and The Gift.I'm sure 3 months from now this list would look completely
Can't come up with 10,Top 5
1. Requiem For A Dream
2. Beyond The Mat
3. Way Of The Gun
4. Titus
5. Castaway(Based on Hanks Performance)

My Top 10 for 2000
1. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
2. Bamboozled
3. Love And Basketball
4. Traffic
5. High Fidelity
6. Girlfight
7. Men Of Honor
8. Emperors New Groove
9. Requiem For A Dream
10. Nurse Betty
Updated and Edited on 5/8/01
Don't go out to the movies much so I still have plenty to see.
Honorable Mention to: Almost Famous,The Cell, and Gladiator.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
1. Almost Famous
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. American Psycho
4. Unbreakable
5. You Can Count on Me
6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
7. Traffic
8. Croupier
9. Best in Show
10. High Fidelity
Haven't seen, but want to: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon , Thirteen Days , O Brother Where Art Thou? , Snatch , State and Main , Shadow of the Vampire , Pollack, The Gift, Wonder Boys
This list is pretty much final, since the only movie I haven't seen that would possibly make the cut is Pollack, and that probably won't be out in my area in months.
Last Update: 1/26/2001

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
1. Dancer in the Dark
2. Traffic
3. Krapp's Last Tape
4. Almost Famous
5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
6. Wonder Boys
7. High Fidelity
8. The Virgin Suicides
9. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
10.Fantasia 2000
Llet me say that the order can change repeatedly throughout the coming weeks.
Yet to see:
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Requiem for a Dream, Pollock, Quills, and a few others.
(edited 01/16/01 to update, reorder, and expand list)

Hunter Sharum

Auditioning
1. Traffic
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. Requiem For A Dream
4. Almost Famous
5. The Virgin Suicides
6. American Psycho
7. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
8. The Way of the Gun
9. Snatch
10. X-Men
Updated 2/01/01.

Matt_P

Second Unit
I'll cut it down to my top six (strange number, but a complete list of my favorites for 2000):
1.) Traffic (SEE THIS MOVIE!)
2.) Gladiator
3.) U-571
4.) The Contender
5.) Finding Forrester
6.) The Patriot
I like #4 and on about the same, but, ah, well.......there it is.
------------------
"Off the record, on the QT, & very hush-hush."

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Edited 4/2/2001
1. Almost Famous(9.5/10)
2. Requiem For A Dream(9.5/10)
3. Wo Hu Zang Long(Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)(9/10)
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou?(9/10)
5. American Psycho(8/10)
6. Wonder Boys(8/10)
7. Best In Show(8/10)
8. Fantasia 2000(8/10)
9. High Fidelity(8/10)
10. Traffic(8/10)
11. Quills(8/10)
12. Nurse Betty (8/10)
13. Chicken Run (8/10)
14. State And Main (7.5/10)
15. The Whole Nine Yards (7.5/10)
Almost, but not quite(7/10): Dancer In The Dark, The Contender, Chocolat, Unbreakable, The Gift, The Emperor's New Groove, Erin Brockovich, Return To Me, Scary Movie, Titan A.E., Me Myself & Irene, Cast Away, Saving Grace
Upper Mid-range(6/10): Virgin Suicides, X-Men, Small Time Crooks, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, The Cell, Shadow of the Vampire, Bring It On, Dinosaur, What Lies Beneath, Shanghai Noon, The Grinch, Keeping The Faith, My Dog Skip, Timecode, Chuck & Buck, Whatever It Takes
Mid-ramge (5/10): What Planet Are You From?, Charlie's Angels, Gladiator, Miss Congeniality, Pitch Black, Final Destination, All the Pretty Horses, Perfect Storm, Frequency, The Way Of The Gun, Los Aventuros de Rocky Y Bullwinkle
Not So Good: Mission to Mars (4/10), 28 Days (4/10)
Reindeer Games (4/10), Romeo Must Die (4/10), Lost Souls (4/10), Here on Earth (3/10), Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (3/10), The St. Francisville Experiment (1/10)
Yet to see: Chuck and Buck , Joe Gould's Secret, Quills , Dancer in the Dark , Croupier, Pollock, Best In Show , The Tao of Steve, Traffic , Finding Forrester, Cast Away , You Can Count On Me, Billy Elliot, Battlefield Earth, MI:2
-----------------
"If I'da known it was gonna be this kinda party, I'da stuck my dick in the mashed potatoes."

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
As of 7/26/01
1. Requiem For A Dream
2. Yi, Yi
3. Dancer In The Dark
4. In The Mood For Love
5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
6. High Fidelity
7. Amores Perros
8. Traffic
9. American Psycho
10.Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Best Documentary:
The Life And Times Of Hank Greenberg
Other Notable: The Girl On The Bridge, Almost Famous, Not One Less, Erin Brockovich, You Can Count On Me, Chicken Run, Chunhyang, Chuck & Buck, 13 Days, The Claim, The Princess and the Warrior, Fantasia 2000
------------------
"I'm bona fide!"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...27
THE NEW DVD BEAVER
THE BEST DVD COLLECTION
CONTEST ON THE INTERNET

My DVD Collection

[Edited last by Brook K on July 27, 2001 at 02:00 AM]

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Nick’s Top 10 of 2000
Last Update July 18th, 2001
1. Traffic
2. Memento
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
4. High Fidelity
5. Requiem for a Dream
6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
7. Almost Famous
8. Wonder Boys
9. Amores Perros
10. Chopper

AndrewT

Auditioning
Well, here goes....
1. Boiler Room
2. Way of the Gun
3. Ninth Gate, The
4. Pitch Black
5. Men of Honor
6. Titan A.E.
Can't think of anymore that are worthy. I still have much catching up to do. Especially with all of the movies that have come out in the last month or so.
------------------
"Please don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, changes are expected and wanted.
Just make sure you post a mention that something has changed (feel free to discuss why at that point too), and maybe put a change date back on your original list post and edit it.
Not trying to hold anyone to a best of when they haven't had a chance. And this isn't just a poll, discussion is welcome. Just put up a list first or a space holder for a list. We don't need any trashing or discussion without people being willing to stick their own neck out. :)

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
1. Fantasia 2000 (9/10)
2. Best in Show (9/10)
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (9/10)
4. Almost Famous (9/10)
5. Yi Yi (9/10)
6. Requiem for a Dream (9/10)
7. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (9/10)
8. Nurse Betty (8/10)
9. High Fidelity (8/10)
10. Wonder Boys (8/10)
Have not seen (amongst others I'm sure):
Pollock, Butterfly, Sunshine
The Rest(in close to the correct order):
Eights:
Chicken Run, Dancer in the Dark
Sevens:
You Can Count on Me, The Gift, Virgin Suicides, Snatch, Traffic, Small Time Crooks, Whole Nine Yards, The Terrorist, Joe Gould's Secret, Quills, Chocolat, State and Main, What Women Want, Unbreakable, Croupier
Sixes:
Shanghai Noon, Eyes of Tammy Faye, Dr. T and the Women, Shadow of the Vampire, Saving Grace, The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Chuck and Buck, Erin Brockovich, The Cell, Contender, Time Code, Cast Away, Bamboozled, Family Man, X-Men, Cecil B. DeMented, American Psycho, Keeping the Faith, Boiler Room, Billy Elliot, Mission: Impossible II, Girlfight, Frequency, Way of the Gun, Two Family House, Legend of Bagger Vance, Where the Money Is, Bring It On, Gladiator
Fives:
Charlie's Angels, Patriot, What Planet Are You From?, Rules of Engagement, U-571, Pitch Black, Titan A.E., All the Pretty Horses
Less:
Watcher, The (4/10), Perfect Storm, The (3/10), Mission to Mars (3/10)
---------------------
Last edited: 05-29-01: added Yi Yi

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
OK, first of all, let me say that this list represents films I enjoyed, not necessarily films I think are brilliant on any sort of technical level, bearing study for years to come. :) I'm sure some of my choices will inspire some eye-rolling. Aside from the first two, these aren't in any sort of order.
1) Almost Famous (I don't remember the last time I saw a film that had the emotional impact of AF)
2) Requiem for a Dream
3) High Fidelity
4) X-Men
5) Pitch Black
6) Virgin Suicides
7) Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (though I wish it weren't castrated)
8) Urban Legends: Final Cut (I'm sure everyone's
rolleyes.gif
here, but it's a return to dumb '80s slashers, a subgenre I've loved for years)
9) Final Destination
10) Godzilla 2000 (though I don't think it'll be as much fun outside of a theater)
I'm tempted to replace one of those with "The Whole Nine Yards".
I plan on seeing "Traffic", "Shadow of the Vampire", "The Gift", "Best In Show", "Chicken Run", "State and Main", and "Meet The Parents" as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Darren H

Second Unit
1. Requiem for a Dream
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. Requiem for a Dream
4. Requiem for a Dream
5. Requiem for a Dream
6. The Emperor's New Groove
7. High Fidelity
8. Shanghai Noon
9. Gladiator
10. Me, Myself, and Irene
Ask me again in a year and a half. These are the only 2000 relesases I've seen, though the more I read about it, the more I want to see You Can Count on Me (and it's actually playing in town right now.) CTHD is also set to open here some time in the next few weeks.
No need to turn this into another "why I hate going to the theater" thread, but, man, I really hate going to the theater.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Adam, as long as you have a reason, then ok. :)
But Urban Legends?? That's why the thread title is Our top 10's.
wink.gif

It's funny to scan our lists and see such diversity, although we see that around here pretty much every day.
I can just imagine going to the theater with some of you guys and loving something, only to come out and say "wasn't that awesome" and one of you looking back with a big fat "No, borrrrinnnnggg".
Isn't that the biggest bummer when someone who's opinion you value doesn't like a flick you did?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Oh Brother does my list change. I can't imagine any Coen Bros fan not loving this creative, funny, and fun flick.
I've heard how disjointed it is, but I didn't see that at all. I honestly think that people who see the film as disjointed don't realize that it's a modern fairy tale, a fable.
Every scene fits into the plot, but the film has that fantasy feel. What would you expect since we all know it's based on the epic Odyssee? The feel and visual style is both consistent and good throughout the film.
I rank this as one of their best efforts, more ambitious than some of their other stuff and I think they meet their ambitions. And not only did I think that but so did the rest of the crowd as they howled in delight at the numerous hilarious scenes and dialog.
This is my most anticipated DVD from 2000 now.
State and Main tomorrow. CTHD and Snatch next week. I have very good feelings about all those, especially Snatch which looks very stylistically strong based on the trailer. We will see.
------------------
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well, and live."
I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, I just want to see Say Anything on DVD.
Do you, then click here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks