What's new

original 3 little pigs (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Is the original 3 little pigs with the Jewsih pedlar on the SS disc as someone report on this forum or is it only shown in part in the clip on the Leonard Maltin intro?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That scene which was actually swapped (Disney had the peddler scene reanimated in the 1950's) is in clip form before the cartoon.

The reissue version is the one in full form on the disc. The "reanimation" was authorized by Walt Disney, so it's not like any of the censorship the Disney Company has made recently. I wouldn't even call it censorship since Disney, himself had the cut made (out of respect for the Jewish population after World War II). Kind of like a "producer's cut"!

Possibly, to keep the best quality on the discs, they used the 2nd edition. It's the only change besides opening credits being "updated" for the 1950's (reissue copyright).

There's no use really for both cuts of the cartoon being there 100% since the peddler scene only is a few seconds long...and is probably not in the great condition the reissue is in.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The "reanimation" was authorized by Walt Disney, so it's not like any of the censorship the Disney Company has made recently. I wouldn't even call it censorship since Disney, himself had the cut made (out of respect for the Jewish population after World War II). Kind of like a "producer's cut"!
Patrick, from what I've read, that pretty much sums up the situation with "Fantasia," in which a few shots were reframed to remove a potentially offensive character from the screen. Disney himself made, or at least supervised, the cuts. But perhaps I'm missing something (or my memory just isn't up to snuff), because I'm sure I've seen you make posts expressing intense displeasure with the alterations to "Fantasia." If that is, in fact, the case, what is the difference that, to you, makes one okay but not the other?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
from the booklet for s.s.

"The Ultimate Collection Of Walt's Most Cherished Works - Uncensored And Never Before Seen - etc."

Wrong again!!

In the original as shown on the LM clip, we have the caricature, plus the Jewish voice. The 50's reissue changed the animation only - the original dialogue (in 'character', says "I'm the Fuller Brush Man. I'm giving a free sample...") This was how film prints were issued - I have seen a 16mm print of the re-animated version.

For video back in the '80's, the dialogue was changed, to the totally inconguous "I'm the Fuller Brush Man...I'm working my way through college."

Once again, Disney fails to grasp the meaning of uncensored.

Also changed - The Skeleton Dance. When released on video in the 80's clamshell package under the title SCARY TALES, the film starts with no sound at all during the opening credits, and the sound begins with the films animation proper , with the rousing Carl Stalling score and thunderstorm effects. This was meant to startle/entertain audiences, tricking them into thinking it was a silent cartoon, then, BANG!

Incoorporating some other music ovet the title sequence takes away from the intended effect.

I can't believe Leonard Maltin let himself be associated with this project, especially for the cartoon historian he is. His anthologies for Turner (Cartoons For Big Kids and Bugs and Daffy: The Wartime Cartoons) are celebrated for the bold and brash cartoons they were, and none of them were altered.

I just wasted $28 bucks.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't support censorship, but there's a difference between Disney himself changing something and something being changed after his death.
Walt didn't authorize the Fantasia censorship (since Roy E. Disney is trying to get the censored DVD's fixed now), so it's pure censorship. If he did want to have it censored, he would...
A. Have all the offending footage spliced out.
B. Have offending footage reanimated
C. Delete entire Pastoral Symphony segment
D. Keep it
I thought that the only non-original print in the Treasures series would be the Three Little Pigs print (which was an authorized alteration by Walt Disney).
We need to have Disney recall the Silly Symphony DVD so they can fix those two mistakes. Even though the alteration to The Skelaton Dance isn't really censorship, it does need to be fixed (just like Columbia's flub with the Monty Python/Holy Grail SE DVD)
Keith, it's not as bad as you think. Only one of the cartoons is actually censored (a Walt Disney approved cut, at that.) and the other is just a reissue print. (Disney may have had to alter Skelaton Dance since it had the Columbia logo originally)
I'm posting about this in Studio Feedback.
Of course, it seems many people (as the E.T. SE thread illustrated) don't like authorized alterations, but don't care much about censorship made without authorization by the original artists. E.T.'s gun-removal thread got 8 pages while one on Fantasia's unauthorized censorship got just a few replies. I'm not pointing any fingers, but everyone who doesn't want authorized alterations made should point their energy towards something like Fantasia and this. As one person said, "Fantasia plays better with the censorship."
I just wanted to get that off my back, if I offend anyone, I'm sorry. :frowning: Perhaps if there was that much outcry about E.T., we might have had an uncensored Fantasia (and others) last January instead of Disney just NOW consulting with getting them fixed. Uncensored DVD is just as important as OAR. We can't all hide behind the "it may look bad to some" This how it looks to me, so I may be wrong. Jeez, I'm rambling again...)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Skeleton Dance...This was meant to startle/entertain audience, tricking them into thinking it was a silent cartoon, then, BANG!
Well, obviously we are expecting a "Silly Symphony" not a silent movie. The intended effect has worn off for quite some time.
I have my own plan to show this to people, I hit mute before it starts, then BANG! they jump out of their seats. :D

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Strong words maybe, but spoken out of pure frustration with Disney. The buzz on this series was that the films were to be uncensored. Another thread somewhere around here mentions the Disneyland disc and Fesss Parker as Davy Crockett referring to 'Injuns' and 'Red Skins'.

I saw the second version of Three Little Pigs original audio, new animation) when I was about 7 or eight years old, and that memory is very strong. I was also impressed at such a young age with The Skeleton Dance and The Old Mill. Its been 30 years since, and I so much wanted Three Little Pigs to be uncensored as promised. So much for that hope.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I am a bit disappointed that they didn't restore the Jewish peddlar to the cartoon, but at least they gave us a glimpse of it.

The DVD is strange, though. Some of the cartoons listed in the booklet (such as Practical Pig and Who Killed Cock Robin?) are only accessable as unlabeled Easter eggs from each menu -- they're not listed on the menus. The great thing is that each Easter egg has an introduction by Walt Disney from his TV show. I thought I had discovered something really exciting, but all the cartoons in the Easter eggs are listed in the booklet. If you're going to do an Easter egg, I thought the idea was that it's something NOT listed. Go figure.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
It is a bummer they aren't "uncensored", but I'm just glad we got them on DVD. To me the small censoring doesn't matter too much, but I know it bothers some people. Censoring sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks