What's new

Orb Mod 1 or 2 vs Bose? Appease my wife please. (1 Viewer)

PapaDeuce

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
The contractors started work today on my media room ( a 3rd floor 700 SF attic ) I was not prepared to make a choice yet, but they had a job cancel and asked if they could start today instead of 2 weeks from now.... OK, long story short, I have heard OF the Orb speakers, but have never heard them. But I have read great reviews. My wife grew up with Bose, and likes it ( and in fact, I use a professional Bose system to DJ ). I don't love the Bose for home stuff. In fact, I visited a Bose Store in NC this past weekend and I could not get the sales guy to really crank it up. It was the system they sell for $999. We are - well I am - looking at the Orb as what we will get. Not sure Mod 1 or 2.... I will be pairing whichever speakers I buy with a Yamaha RXV671. Thoughts, please? I need to make a choice FAST.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
There isn't going to be much love on here for bose home speakers....way overpriced for what you get. (no highs, no lows, must be bose) If you have to have the small speakers for the wife factor, then at least go with the orbs with the powered sub. They even come in different colors to match your house. An orb review below: Also, if you have to get micro-satellites for the wife factor, you could try the hsu equivalent of bose that is not overpriced for what you get, and is actually favorably reviewed - (Ventriloquist VT-12) that one only runs $300.00 and will sound better than the bose system. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vt-12.html That system also has micro-satellites along with a center channel that handles the bass load, and you can use the $700.00 you saved to get a powered sub for better bass response. You can get their package deal with the powered sub for $549.00 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I too, would avoid the Bose at any cost.

If you opt to go with the Orb speakers, I would strongly suggest getting one of their "Satellite Only" packs, (like this 5 speaker arrangement) and get a separate subwoofer from somewhere else. The subwoofers that come with their complete systems are not very good performers, and are not a great value.

The best subwoofer will depend on your budget, but some frequently recommended models (in order of increasing performance) include the Dayton 12" (the price just recently went up - bummer), the Bic F12, and the Lava 12" (it's under $300 with a HTF discount).

I think the combination of the Orb satellites and a decent, separate subwoofer will offer a really good balance between performance and WAF (wife approval factor) - definitely much better than you will get with anything Bose.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are in wall speakers an option? They can still be hidden and will give you much better sound than any little cube. If not, I agree, stay away from bose.

PapaDeuce

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
I love my Bose Pro stuff... though just like for home, it was too much money, but I was counting on a "wow" factor for looks from brides, and to some degree, I got that. Home stuff, I really don't have any interest for myself. My brother in law just showed me his system... 4 ceiling mount speakers ( I have no idea what they were, but he said they were $1500 installed ).... I thought they were horrid. I have an old set of Infinty bookshelf speakers that I probably paid $200 for, and they sound far superior. I don't know why his sound so bad, but they do.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by PapaDeuce

I love my Bose Pro stuff... though just like for home, it was too much money, but I was counting on a "wow" factor for looks from brides, and to some degree, I got that. Home stuff, I really don't have any interest for myself.
My brother in law just showed me his system... 4 ceiling mount speakers ( I have no idea what they were, but he said they were $1500 installed ).... I thought they were horrid. I have an old set of Infinty bookshelf speakers that I probably paid $200 for, and they sound far superior. I don't know why his sound so bad, but they do.

By "ceiling mount" did you mean they were regular speakers hanging from the ceiling, or that they were speakers that were actually embedded IN the ceiling. If the latter, then no doubt they didn't sound very good. In-ceiling speakers are never recommended for anything but ambient music use. The only time they should even be considered for home theater is for rear surrounds in a 7.1 system, IMO.

It boggles my mind how some folks would consider in-ceiling speakers for the fronts. Do they sit on the floor right under the TV?

Personally, I think the look and styling of the Orbs is much better than the Bose, anyway.

PapaDeuce

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Jason Charlton said:
By "ceiling mount" did you mean they were regular speakers hanging from the ceiling, or that they were speakers that were actually embedded IN the ceiling.  If the latter, then no doubt they didn't sound very good.  In-ceiling speakers are never recommended for anything but ambient music use.  The only time they should even be considered for home theater is for rear surrounds in a 7.1 system, IMO. It boggles my mind how some folks would consider in-ceiling speakers for the fronts.  Do they sit on the floor right under the TV? Personally, I think the look and styling of the Orbs is much better than the Bose, anyway.
Yes, he had 4 speakers mounted in the ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks