What's new

Oprah Upset By Hermes Snub And Weak Apology (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
exactly ... and i see two main issues that haven't been clearly addressed yet.

1. did she receive some sort of racial slur
2. did she simply expect special treatment

if it's the first one, then i think she should take them to town. if it's the second one, then i think she should get off her high horse.

wifey *loves* oprah and even subscribes to her magazine. while i've never read the mag, i've watched a few shows here and there. i do believe that oprah can be one-sided though. i've seen interviews where i felt she really pushed her side of the issue and didn't really let the other person get in their viewpoint.

but, at the same time, i feel oprah is a fantastic person. of all the celebs, i feel that her (and jay leno) are pretty well balanced, charitable (especially oprah ... she gives a lot back), grateful for their success, etc. so, i'm willing to give her some benefit and even cut her a little slack.

but again, like h said ... without knowing the details, this is all just a bunch of hooey.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Chu, good for you.

And lumping Oprah in with all the other racism against minorities that occurs around the globe is just insulting to everyone else. It's a joke and it is insulting. As far as I'm concerned anyone who has over $50 million dollars (O has WAYYYY more, I'm generalizing), a private jet, and an entourage that does all the 'little' things for them every day doesn't know jack squat about being oppressed or underprivalidged.

The guilty truth of our culture is that money is the new race. You're either green (rich) or you are not (sh&t). All the other race stuff is either a distraction or mostly an illusion. A dirt poor felon white person knows a hell of a lot more about discrimination than Oprah ever will, she's on the top of the heap.

Why the hell doesn't she do a show about that (the widening class gap in America?) Oh yeah, cuz she really doesn't give a damn as long as she gets paid...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If Donald Trump were to approach the stores door at 6:45, what do you all think the outcome would be????

Somehow, I don't think this has anything to do with getting into or not getting into the store after hours, but possibly by the way they handled the situation.... ya think???

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just dropped in to see what this was all about. I hadn't heard of this until this thread.

While I agree with most of what I've read here, I believe the answer to this question would HAVE to be no. It is very hard to be objective when you are one of the participants in an argument/disagreement. If she really thinks she has been wronged by the store, she should take her case to the proper authorities/agency and have them investigate to determine the truth...rather than take it to her own program. On "Oprah", she has the final say in every matter (prosecutor/judge/jury). It would be done simply for ratings.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Those who are complaining about expections of special treatment are completely missing the point. People who enjoy that lifestyle expect special treatment and get it all the time. They expect it because it is afforded to them.

This story needs be taken in the context of the universe in which these people live.

Asking whether you and I would be turned around is missing the point. The question is whether or not Paris Hilton would have been treated in that fashion.

--
H

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
No excuse for Burger King. "Have It Your Way" has been their motto for quite a long time.

GordonL

Supporting Actor

I think he was alluding to the fact that you might get what you asked for and then some. :D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
chu, that's a horrifying story. sadly, not exactly surprising. :frowning: if it happened to me, i dont know if i could ever visit a burger king again, nevermind the same one that guy could still potentially work at. you asked for him and he wasnt there, but what if he was?

CJ

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I’d say we don’t know enough to determine what really went on. Was it like this:

Store: I’m sorry madam, we are closed.
Oprah: (arrogantly) I’m Oprah Winfrey, and I demand that you let me in.
Store: (offended by the arrogance) Don’t speak to me that way. The store is closed.

Or this:

Oprah: Hi, I know I’m late, but I’d really like to shop here. I have a great deal of money to spend, and I’d like to spend it here.

Store: (arrogantly) We don’t need your money here. The store is closed.

Which is it?

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

Exactly.

Usually stores like Hermes bend over backwards for their celebrity/filthy rich clientele. Celebrities often get bags filled with free goodies in total value of $50,000+ at award shows. Do we get treatment like that? Fuck no.

If I was a celeb, I would be a bit insulted too. Its like expecting a domesticated cat to thrive in the wild, for celebs having to deal with our world.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I applaud the store for not letting her in, she was too late and they had a shindig happening inside, too bad. I hear what Holadem and others are saying, but sorry, celebrities need to learn that they can't get their way all the time.

And if she does anything to hurt that store simply because she was inconvenianced, than what does that say about her? It says she's spoiled beyond comprehension and can't accept rejection.

To be honest here, I can't stand it when I hear how places just freak out when it comes to celebrities and appeasing them. For instance, I heard that when Britney Spears wants to go to a club, the club drops everything and makes a mad scramble to make way for her arrival, now I realize that it's just good business sense because that club stands to make a lot of money that night with her, but it still makes me ill.
Just my opinion.

Store was closed and she was turned away. Rules are rules.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Oprah. Truely one of the most useless human beings on the face of the planet.

Maybe they turned (and her "team") her away because she is obnoxious. Furthermore, they told her she was more than welcome to come back the next day. Seems to me if they were being racist (which I HIGHLY doubt) they would have just told her to scram and not mention anything about coming back.

Now she is calling this her "crash" moment (as in the movie Crash). Again, if skin color had anything to do with this, why invite her back the next day? They gave her a card (don't know what that entails - special treatment for high rollers like herself that will spend a lot of cash?). Seems to me they were interested in having her come back.

I don't follow the dumb bitch at all. Are her TV ratings down? Even if not, this all smells like a ploy to increase ratings.

Maybe she can kill a few million trees and write a book about the incident as well.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Truly, what has Oprah done to deserve such a an apparently deep seated hostility?

Oprah is one of the most useless human beings on the planet?

And a dumb bitch?

Jason, did this person do anything to you personally, or to a loved one? Did she cause harm directly or indirectly to anyone you know or don't? Do you feel the sum of her (non?)accomplishments has made the world a worse place?

Oprah?

--
H

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Obviously there was some sarcasm in my comments. Point is, she didn't get her way and is now throwing a temper tantrum. She may not be dumb, but she is a bitch.

She is obviously not the first non-white person to shop at this place. If this place or the particular employees in question were racist, this would have come out a long, long, long time ago. Again, if they are a racist institution, why did they invite her back?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I doubt we will ever know the "truth" in this matter. Given that Oprah is a "goddess" to her fans and the French are not exactly held to the highest esteem here, I'm sure Oprah's story will get the most sympathy.

I just find it funny that there is interest in the dealings of a snooty "celebrity" and a snooty store. They were made for each other. It seems that that only thing that crashed was Operah not getting her way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks