Oppo BDP-83 question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DUSTMAN, Dec 31, 2009.

1. DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN Auditioning

I want to buy the Oppo player, however I cannot find the answer for a question using the component video output. Under the player specs it states.."available for non-restricted content only." I have no idea what that means, could someone answer that question for me and should I be concerned about it?

I can't use HMDI since my receiver, (Yamaha RXV-1200), does not support HDMI and I really don't want to buy a new receiver since my current one works just fine for my needs.

Thanks in advance,

2. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I believe that is referring to the fact you cannot upscale copy-protected DVDs over component with the Oppo. This can be done only over HDMI.

3. DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN Auditioning

Hey thanks for you reply. Well if that's true, then if I buy the Oppo then all the DVD's I own will not upscale through the player without using HDMI? Correct?

4. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    It will not upscale copy protected dvds. So, you are correct.
    But, can you run HDMI from the Oppo to the tv for video, and a separate connection to the receiver for audio? Your receiver has the 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs, and the Oppo has the 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs, so you can listen to the HD audio soundtracks from blu ray movies that way. Just don't connect the back surr left and back surr right connections from the Oppo.

Also, in case you don't notice these things...........PM sent to you.

5. DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN Auditioning

Thanks for the info. Actually, my current system has 7 speakers. Sub, left and right mains, front AND rear center, left and right effects. You stated NOT to connect the left and right surrounds. Does that mean they will not function? I just made another post doing exactly what you suggest regarding connections. Now, I'm concerned that I might not have full surround sound.

6. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    What he means is the analog inputs of your Yamaha receiver only support 5.1, not 7.1 so there is nothing to connect the Back Surrounds from the OPPO up to. Just go into the OPPO's speaker setup menu and set the SB's to None. SB info will be sent to the side Surrounds so nothing will be lost when playing a 7.1 BR movie.

7. DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN Auditioning

Oppo's specifications state that you can either set the unit up for 7.1 [SIZE= larger]OR[/SIZE] 5.1, so I don't really see why there wouldn't be the proper support for 5.1 on my receiver from the Oppo unit. I understand that If I wanted to use 7.1 from the Oppo unit I wouldn't have the necessary ports in my receiver. Or, am I just nutz and don't know what the heck I'm talking about, which might be a combination of both

8. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Dustman is using a 6.1 setup. I explained in a PM that he'll probably use the Back Surround Left connection for the 6th speaker. Yes, the Oppo will work just fine with a 5.1 setup too. No worries....... Now days, most receivers are 7.1, but a few 5.1 still exist. That's probably why Oppo didn't mention a 6.1 setup.

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Maybe I'm the one confused! .

I was refferring to the 5.1 analog inputs not supporting 6.1, not the number of speakers.

Hang in there Danny! We'll sort this out for you.

10. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Ok..........I'm not thinking straight either. It's getting late. He has a 6.1 setup. I wasn't thinking that multi-channel analog inputs are either 5.1 or 7.1. I guess my mind was thinking that since he had a 6.1 setup, his receiver had 6.1 analog inputs. Sorry about that y'all.
    I did explain in our PMs though, that you don't use the Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right outputs from the Oppo, with a 5.1 setup. I hope I was clear with that.

It's late, and I'm tired! I'm going to bed.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

11. DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for all their help and support. I'm sure when I get the unit and start the setup there'll be many more questions, so you guys be prepared. I'm not very familiar with these things as you can probably tell. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

12. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I purchased the Oppo 83 last year and I am very happy with it. However, I wasn't too impressed with the quality of upscaled DVDs (I didn't see any improvement in PQ) until I started playing around with the sub-menus and found a setting called "Film-based Output" (or something similar) in the Setup menu. After changing the setting to Film-based I noticed an improvement on most DVDs, notably a smoother image. This makes me wonder if I've got this thing setup all wrong. If anyone who has an Oppo can provide some advice with setting it up properly I would greatly appreciate it. I'm currently using a Panasonic 720p plasma set. Also, I picked up an early copy of Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and the disc won't play. The trailers play just fine but nothing happens when the main menu appears. Any theories? Thanks.

EDIT: I tried the disc in another player and it worked just fine so it's a problem with the Oppo.

13. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Make sure you have the latest firmware. If you do, or you install it and it still won't play, try disabling BD Live, and see if that helps.

14. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Thanks for replying. I was hoping it wasn't a firmware issue since I currently don't have internet access at home. I suppose buying a second copy won't solve my problem, then. I'm just going to chalk this up to the price of owning a high-end format, a
    'downside" so to speak. What other anomalies can I look forward to as far as playability? (Sorry if these are dumb questions - I'm just not a tech geek)

15. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I would contact oppo about it.
    I would also suggest erasing the persistant storage for the bdlive.. I had problems with a blurays, and once I did the erase.. then the disc would work. its not the end of the world. do you have a USB.. you can download it from the computer and then unzip and then place it on the USB and then install the firmware update. I did that last week. it was pretty simple.

Jacob

16. Ed Moxley

Ed
    On Oppo's site, they say you can request a cd from customer service:

See this here: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-48-1224.aspx

Their address and phone number is there too, to contact customer service.
    Good luck!

17. zhanglin128

zhanglin128 Auditioning

Thanks to share this information

18. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller
    My issue has been the compatibility issues with Bluray disks. In fact I'm close to just selling it I had no issues with my PS3 or the two Sony players. I'm running the latest update infact I downloaded the beta version. It appears the issue is with the onboard storage if I clear it the Blurays seem to play ok. I also have had to disable Bluray Live, etc. I have always like OPPO but I'm questioning this model at least.

19. Ed Moxley

Ed
    I've had one issue with my Oppo not playing a disc. I did a firmware upgrade and haven't had a problem since. I've had it almost a year.

I've never had it hooked up to the internet, so maybe that's the difference.............

20. Jesse Lawson

Jesse Lawson Agent

Hi all — figured I'd use an existing thread rather than create a new one to see if I could get feedback about audio issues. I'm trying to output using the RCA jacks to my receiver (an Onkyo 705) and getting peculiar results. Stereo sources seem fine; surround sources either seem like they've been mixed down to two-channel or like part of the signal is missing. Audio from one blu-ray disc (the ATX sampler that came with the player) doesn't play at all over RCA jacks. I don't have these problems if I connect via HDMI. The problem might be on the receiver end, but nothing I've tried with either device has helped. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.