Senior HTF Member
I can't find anything anywhere.

Opinions about DVD playback, audio quality of DVD and SACD? Quality of
Philips players in general? How does Philips' SACD
units sound compared to the Sony units.

TIA

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
My advice is to stay away from Philips. I have a Philips Directivo unit and a DVDQ50, both make "popping" noises in my system. However, I am using amplifiers (185 watts per channel). If you're using a lower wattage receiver, you may not notice.

I believe they have a problem with their optical outputs. If SACD is what you're looking for, try the Sony ns-755.

Jim

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
I totally disagree. I have a SACD-1000 and the unit has been remarkable. As soon as the DVD763SA is available I will be purchasing one. I had a DVDQ50 andit was also quite nice. The picture was amazing. I sold it because I got the SACD-1000.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Luis:

I agree the picture is superb on the DVDQ50. It's the optical (audio) output that I have a problem with. I've experienced this on two separate units DVDQ50's, as well as, with my Directivo unit.

Did you use the optical output of the DVDQ50? Did you hook it up to a decent amplifier?

Jim

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the opinions. If you are interested, Amazon has it listed for $199 and says they are shipping now. I'm thinking of taking a flyer, but I'd love to hear someone who has hands on exp. with this model.

Luis, are you speaking of the 763SA or are you considering the 963SA that has been delayed? I would think the 1000 would be H&S above the 763.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
David,
Yes, you are correct. Its the 963SA I was referring to. Sorry about that.
The SACD-1000 is an amazing machine. Gorgeous SACD output and redbook output is really nice too. Its video output is remarkable.
Jim,
I have never used an optical out on anything I've ever owned. I used the Coax out and never had a problem... plus I had the firmware upgrade done before selling it. As far as hooking it up to a good amp (chuckle), yes I had that covered. :)

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Luis:

I didn't experience the problem while using the coax output. I have a B&K preamp, that makes you choose between digital coaxial inputs and 6 channel analogue direct inputs.
When I bought my SACD player, I was forced to use the optical inputs for all my digital sources.

I didn't experience the picture freezing until I received my replacement unit from Philips. They sent the firmware upgrade which seemed to resolve the picture freeze problem.

I had to ask about the amplifier, because I took the DVDQ50 over to a friends house to listen for the popping sound. He had a low end Sony ES receiver. The popping noise could not be heard on his receiver, even using the optical input.

I'm currently trying to choose between the Panasonic RP62 and the Sony NS715. I bought both players with the intent of keeping only one. No popping from either player.

Jim

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Amazon now has this player on a special sale for 173.80 including shipping. If the SACd perfromance is decent then this could turn out to be a very nice deal. Has anyone picked up this player yet?

J

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I had noticed that. Does anyone know who Amazon uses to ship. I'm strongly guessing they don't use an authorized dealer. Anytime someone undercuts Walmart by 30% I guess it raised too many red flags.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any opinions on this player? I want to get into SACD, but don't have a lot to spend on a playe right now. Buy.com has this one for $100, is it worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks