Panasonic or Philips, DVD-Audio or SACD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gunn Ooi, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Gunn Ooi

Gunn Ooi Auditioning

Hi,

I recently returned my 5 disc DVD player and is currently looking for a good digital video source that will produce good audio. In fact, the audio aspect is more important to me than video since I only have a 2 channel stereo pre/power amps setup.

Panasonic is introducing the Panasonic DVD-S35S Ultra Slim Progressive Scan DVD player that provides DVD-Audio capabilities. Philips has the Philips DVD763SA Multi-Channel SACD/DVD Player, no progressive scan but has SACD capabilities.

I am inclined towards the Panasonic because it has progressive scan. This means I can upgrade to HDTV in a later date and already have progressive scan.

However, Philips may have better audio capabilities.

Any opinion and suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

At their respective price points, I think you would be hard pressed to pick a clear winner.

Which format has the most titles you want?

If you buy the Panny, you can playback:
    DVD-A as DVD-A, DVD-V, and CD layers of hybrid SACDs.

If you buy the Philips, you can playback:
    SACD only media, Hybrid SACD, DVD-V track of DVD-A and DVD-V discs.

Regards,

3. Gunn Ooi

Gunn Ooi Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback John.

I was browsing in Amazon and the DVD-Audio discs are cheaper. Also, they have the selections that I am familiar with.

You're right, for entry level DVD players, the difference will not be day and night.

4. Frank_Ber

Frank_Ber Agent

The Panasonic DVD-S35S can not play DVD-A high res.

5. John Kotches

Frank,

Good catch. I hadn't looked up that model # at Panasonic to verify its capability.

Regards,

6. Gunn Ooi

Gunn Ooi Auditioning

Thanks Frank. I meant Panasonic DVD-S55S Digital Remastering Progressive Scan DVD. I apologize for the typing error.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

For a stereo only system, all things being equal, SACD seems to me to be a better choice than DVD-A. Some DVD-A discs do not have stereo mixes at all. All SACDS are required to have stereo mixes. (of course that doesn't matter if there are a bunch of DVD-A discs you're interested in and no SACDs! - Me, I have both formats.)

The Sony DVP-NS755V would be a perfect choice.

Progressive scan DVD and SACD all in one package. I have the predecessor, the 500V, and it's a fantastic SACD machine, a fairly good interlaced DVD player, and a good CD player also to my ears. An overachiever at the price point.

Here's Crutchfield's information page about the unit. You can find a better price than that I'll bet.

Of the two you first mentioned, I like the Philips, I've had some very good experience with Philips gear, both in quality stuff and in customer service, over the years. They're one of my favored brands.

8. Michael St. Clair

I can't think of a DVD-A released in the last 24 months that didn't include a PCM stereo/mono mix.

To be fair, other than AIX, I only buy major-label DVD-A.

9. John Kotches

Silverline (do they qualify as major?) is the only current practitioner of surround only. It is my understanding that they don't own the rigths to a stereo release for the discs that are 5.1 only.

Even small labels like MDG and Tacet are including stereo mixes.

Regards,

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Michael St. Clair