What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Opinion : Best packaging for multi-disc sets (1 Viewer)

Bill A

Grip
My vote is for the slim cases that Futurama and The Family Guy came in. The discs stay put but are easy to remove. Plus you can just slip out one of the discs, instead of unfolding all four. I wish all boxed sets were like these.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I like the "slimpak" cases, even though I don't have any yet.

I would like to see those used more... the Beatles Anthology has beautiful packaging (first time I've seen double-sided covers, for the inside!), but it's huge. My 4-disc FotR is slimmer than it...which is weird.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I really do love the way Fox has done the Family Guy and Futurama...but I think thats only good for TV Series...for movies...LOTR FOTR EE, E.T. UGS, MIB Limited Ed., and I really like the way MGM is doing their new discs...Windtalkers, Die Another Day, Danceswith Wolves...with the little opening flap...cool...

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I am partial to the LOTR EE and TV sets like THE SIMPSONS
and CHEERS where you can unfold the package and have easy
access to the disc you want to play.

I think the best multi-disc packaging is PEARL HARBOR
VISTA SERIES. I know it's easy to knock the film but
there is alot of good supplements and I like how
everything folds out.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I think the best multi-disc packaging is PEARL HARBOR
VISTA SERIES. I know it's easy to knock the film but
there is alot of good supplements and I like how
everything folds out.
Maybe so, but the way they packaged the discs was horrible.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
2 discs, I like the single width, double keepcases. FOr more, like TV Series Seasons, I like the ones like The Sopranos or like 24.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The slim cases which "Homicide: Life on the Street" comes in LOOK very cool, and I like how each disc has its own case.

HOWEVER, I have never encountered any cases where it was this difficult to remove the discs! The spindle has virtually no "give".

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I like the thicker keepcases that can hold more than one disc. I don't own the DVDs, but I think Back to the Future was packaged in this manner. I don't care for the recent trend of custom cardboard packaging (Dances with Wolves, Black Hawk Down, Windtalkers, Panic Room, The Godfather). This also includes digipaks and snapper cases.

In my opinion any kind of cardboard packaging is far too frail and flimsy. They can rip, tear, or simply just wear away after excessive usage, even if they are handled with care. They are also more difficult to replace.

Keep cases, however, are more durable and replacement cases can be obtained rather easily.

Plastic all the way. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
I can't give you my thoughts on the best packaging but I can say what the worse is (too me at least :) ). The Babylon5 case is horrible. It looks nice, but it does not hold the disks very well, and one of my disks is seriously scratched up... :frowning:

Kimo B.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm inclined toward the slim cases like the latest release of original Twilight Zone sets. They are compact, wear well and look nice. I can't stand the big, folding packages like Buffy comes in. I also don't like the cardboard packages in the case of multi program sets like The Godfather and TV shows. They tend to get more handling because they have more programs on them and they show wear pretty quickly.

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I'm partial to the Babylon 5 sets. I wish they had done these same "book page" style cases with ST:TNG instead of the anoying fold-outs.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
The Band of Brothers tin set is pretty nice, albeit a fold-out.

But yeah, I have to agree that the book-style case of the DS9 sets are cool. I don't use them though as I put my Trek DVDs in a 208 capacity CD album. Mainly due to the TNG gatefold packaging.

The Babylon 5 sets are nice, it's just ashame that the hubs don't hold the discs better. However my Season 2 set had slighly better hub resistance. In fact I originally planned on putting by B5 discs in with my Trek discs, but the discs don't display the episode titles.

The Stargate box sets are pretty much straight forward with a keep case for each of the 5 discs, so that's not a big deal. But again, I was going to put them in with my Trek discs, but those are even more non-descript than the B5 discs.

In fact, if Stargate ends with its current 7th season, a 208 capacity album would hold all 3 modern Trek series, (TNG, DS9, and VOY) plus 30 discs of B5 and all 35 of Stargate exactly.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I thought I'd hate the Thin-pak packaging, based on the descriptions and pictures I'd seen, but, having now obtained a few, I think they're great for TV box sets, (like Son of the Beach, Family Guy and Homicide: Life on the Street). I'd much rather have these than the concertina-type fold-out cardboard packages used for series like The X-Files.

When you have a big collection of discs, shelf space is a valuable commodity!

James E

Stunt Coordinator
i like the Futurama set packaging better than the Family Guy set packaging. Because it has double sleeves so when i pick it up of the shelf the cases don't fall out:b

james

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I like the thicker keepcases that can hold more than one disc. I don't own the DVDs, but I think Back to the Future was packaged in this manner. I don't care for the recent trend of custom cardboard packaging (Dances with Wolves, Black Hawk Down, Windtalkers, Panic Room, The Godfather). This also includes digipaks and snapper cases.

In my opinion any kind of cardboard packaging is far too frail and flimsy. They can rip, tear, or simply just wear away after excessive usage, even if they are handled with care. They are also more difficult to replace.

Keep cases, however, are more durable and replacement cases can be obtained rather easily.

Plastic all the way
I'm in agreement all the way! Fat & thick Alpha keepcases are the ONLY WAY TO GO! Anything else is completely unacceptable. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks