What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

Greer_R

Agent
Jim, you must have been heartbroken on that first deck. Glad to hear all is well, give us a further review....I went ahead an pre ordered the 700...can't wait.

-Greer

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
pissed was more like it.. lol.. but i am glad the ordeal is over.. That 700 looks sweet.. although at this point, i can live with no pre outs and a zone 2.. brian, I am using harman kardon htks5 speaker set.. not a bad little set, got them pracically free and so far they sound great (and they are wife approved) .. had the volume up to 92 with no problems, no clipping or distortion.. :) the light saber scene in episode one rocks.. shook the whole house :) so far so good..
a still happy jim

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
WOw man, that's a satellite/sub speaker set too isn't it?

Thundering bass...I can't wait to get my onkyo, but TOO bad my monitor died! (Dell Trinitron 17") it made a ZAP noise and so now I have to shop for a new monitor which puts off the onkyo until another paycheck for me.

WAH!

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
elmo, i feel your pain.. and yes the h/k speakers are the combo.. shook the heck out of the house.. scared the cat too she went a runnin :)

Norman L

Second Unit
Elmo,
You can buy a Denon 2802 at a local dealer and do the American Express price match of up to $250 with any of the dealers on the web. I am giving you a link: The 2802 is a $799 list and a fine receiver by specs than the Onyko 600, plus it has 74watts with all channels running, preout to other receivers and preouts to Zone2. LFE can be changed for multi setting http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=zrec&id=1990741689&clink=dmss/us/Product_Browse/Electronics_and_Camera/Shop_for_Electronics/Home_Stereo/Find_Products/Receivers&cf=9

Norman L

Second Unit
Elmo,

Sorry the link did not work:

Try Yahoo Shopping, Electronics & Camera, Home Stero, Receivers, Denon. Prices are $527 and up. Buy from an authorized dealer and use the American Express price match of up to $250 with a printout of the internet low dealer

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
What American Express Price Match are you talking about?

Can you use the same thing for the 3802? Does the #802 or 2802 have the ability to do Dolby Digital-EX? Is THX-EX the same thing as DD-EX? I know that it does DTS-ES, but I was wondering about the other formats. Thanks!

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
i will also add the I was impressed with DD-EX on episode 1.. really added a nice dimension. :) do bad I have a meeting after work tonight.. almost called in sick .. hehe

Norman L

Second Unit
Call American Express -1-800-557-8317 for details but they price match with any form of add, internet print outs count as an add. They will send you a check for up to $250 per item max $1000 per year. Good on Platium, Gold and certain Otima cards.

The 2802 has DTX-ES, DD-EX, THX is a Lucas approved addition on pricer receivers. The 2802 also has Phono inputs if you have old records. Don't get me wrong I think Onyko features are fine, I do not like the wattage running all channels (30W vs. Dennon 74W) and no pro-outs for an etra amp on the mains. With the price match the prices are within $50 to $75.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Norman,

How did you measure the 30 WPC? Did you ever call Onkyo to inquire about that discrepancy since the receiver is rated at 80 WPC at 8 ohms?

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Norman:
That is a good question made by Brian. I would be interested if you could do the same testing with another Onkyo600, and see what the results were. It sounds like lemons are out there (see Jim's post) so maybe you got one. I really find it hard to believe that Onkyo purposely only outputs 30Watts per channel. That is just a bunch of false advertising, not to mention just flat out bad customer relations. I would like to see more research into this problem, before I cancel my 600 order.
I do love the sound of Denon, but it is more like $100 difference, and I am just not so sure that you tested a lemon.
I really appreciate your care and letting us know your results. You are a great guy for your help! Man, that American Express thing really sounds good! I fell in love with Denon with the 3801 for the longest time, and now I might be able to get the 2802 for around $550. I thought that the 2802 never had the DD-EX, but I read that it did, and now I might be wavering!
Listen to me I am talking myself into it, heh!! Argg!!!
OK I just talked to the American Express people and they said that you have to get the Gold Card for the price matching thing mentioned by you and that it has a charge of $75 per year. So... If I did go with the Denon 2802 with the $250 discount it really would only be a discount of $175 and the Denon 2802 anywhere here locally costs $720.00 w/o tax and a 10% discount. That brings the total for the Denon $545.00 and I got my Onkyo 600 for $449.99 (with shipping) so that is a difference of $95.01. I honestly think that my wife is going to kill me when I come to her with this one. heh :)

Norman L

Second Unit
Brian, Grady
It was not measured by me. It was measured by a high end testing department of an A/V company. It was not even my unit but their own unit. Onkyo insist that 80w come from each channel but if you look at the chart this is not true.http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm
It is not my intent to bash Onyko just give the facts since their is no regulation on reporting the wattage of all channels running.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the AmEx pricematch ended for the Blue card 2 days ago (end of April). That was the "free" card they offered. Probably too many people using the pricematch so they had to only start offering it on the pay cards...

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, I'd love to get in on the CC deal you got. I emailed you too, but if you could post your methods here I'm sure others would love you for it!

Norman L

Second Unit
Brian,

The old units do well, but look at the #696 this is part of the newer design, Onyko did confirm that the 494, 595, 696 do have a similiar design as the 500, 600, 700.

If wattage is important this matters if it is not inportant it does not matter. Many speakers today only need 10watts to drive. I need more and already blew by B & W's.

The chart was done until 11/01. Since then reviewed by S & V was the Denon 2802 (90w) rated 74w with 5 channels, Yamaha 1200 (80w) rated 50w with 5 channels.

Check out the soundandvisionmag.com magazine site.

Make your own decision, I returned mine for more watts, preouts for the mains if you want to minor upgrade down the road, phono input if needed.

I feer that the 700 coming out late Mat will be rated like the 696.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Norman: I just called American Express and they said that the Internet advertisement does not count as an ad. The lady read it to me and it specifically does not count as an ad. It must be a printed ad in a magazine or newspaper. Anything other than an Internet printed ad.

Are there any advertisers that have a magazine that show the Denon 2802 for the $527.00 prices found at yahoo companies?

Norman L

Second Unit
Grady,

I just called 800-557-8317 and they confirmed internet printouts count as long as your printer put a date on the printout, you use the correct Amex card and the retail store does not do a price match.

Call again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks