What's new

Onkyo TX-DS595 tone control question (1 Viewer)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm in the process of gradually upgrading my modest home theater. The first phase will be a new Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver, due to arrive on Christmas day.
In anticipation of this event, I downloaded and printed out the owner's manual from the Onkyo Web site so that I could familiarize myself with the receiver. I figure the less time it takes me to set up, the quicker I can be watching DVDs Christmas night!
I'm a little concerned about the tone controls, though. One part of the manual states that these will only affect the front speakers. In another, it talks about turning on the multi-channel setting to use the tone controls.
My questions are these: Is it true that only the front speakers are affected by the bass and treble controls? Does this include the center channel speaker or just the left and right main speakers?
And most important, Has this been a concern for any of you 595 owners?
The 595 is coming from One Call, an authorized dealer, because I wanted that two-year manufacturer warranty. I debated long and hard about that, because I could have shelled out another $130 and gotten the Denon 2802 from www.reliableaudiovideo.com , which is not an authorized dealer. I'm starting to wonder if I should try to come up with some extra money (never easy at Christmas) and rish buying the Denon from an unauthorized dealer.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Yes, it is true that the tone controls on the 595 only affects the left and right mains. But it's nothing to worry about... The tone controls on most of the receivers I've run across (with a few exceptions) only use the tone controls for the mains.

I have the 595, and no it has not been a concern. For multichannel, I don't want the tone controls engaged anyway, since I want as flat a response as possible. And once I had calibrated all of my speakers and my subwoofer, there was really no need to use the tone controls for music either. So long as you aren't using excessively bright sounding speakers, you should be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks