What's new
World Wide Stereo

Onkyo HT-S760 (1 Viewer)

Pauly_B

Auditioning
after shoppin around some...i think i'm goin with the onkyo HT-S760....what is everybody's opinion on this? also....what did you end up payin for it...i'm curious

LSU National Champions

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have last years HT-650 which is a 5.1 and think it was a terrific bargain. The rear surrounds on the 760 look a little thinner than mine but it shouldn't be a big concern. The receiver is excellent for the price. Fry's has it on sale for $399. As they say, best bang for the buck! Gene

AaronJB

Second Unit
I have owned the Onkyo set and have since upgraded to other speakers; my best way to describe the Onkyo system is a "transition" system - it provides satisfactory sound, but allows you to easily upgrade when you decide you want better speakers.

The speakers are quite good for the money paid and I liked their sound. However, after upgrading, I did notice some weaknesses in the system; I thought the center lacked a certain level of clarity and openness that I wanted (my new center is a definite improvement) and while the mains delivered bass, I didn't think the bass was quite as tight/defined as I'd like. The surrounds are just okay. Although opinions on it vary, I do like the big Onkyo subwoofer.

Again, I recommend the system for someone looking for a HTIB set; it's certainly a great value, the build quality is good (much better than most HTIB speakers) and it does provide satisfying sound. Just don't be surprised if you get the upgrade bug a few months to a year down the road.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
I second everything said here. Great transition system. The receiver is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

Daniel De

Agent
I got mine a few weeks ago, and have been enjoying it ever since. I did a lot of research and listened to quite a few of them and I don't think you could do better for the cost. I paid $499 at CompUSA, in Lewisville TX.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Onkyo is a good deal, as a 1st system for sure.

You get a tone of HT for the money, but more important, it acts as a solid platform to upgrade areas if you feel any areas need upgrading.

The first thing and often the only thing most Onkyo HTIB'rs upgrade is the subwoofer.

Chris HP

Auditioning
i have this system for the past month and i love it. I didnt get it from a local retail shop cause i wanna the silver mode of the ht-760. I picked it up at onkyo's warehouse in so cal. I dont think they offer the silver mode in stores yet.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree with Aaron. I often listen with the sub turned off and the bass from the mains is a little "muddy" but with the sub on I don't notice it very much. I also thought the center speaker was just a tad week so I replaced it with a Cerwin Vega CV-5. I switched the tweeters though. The Onkyo woofers and CV-5 tweeter now reside in a custom built center channel in another room. As for the sub, I'm the exception that proves the rule. I think it's perfectly fine for what it is. But I'm not a bass heavy listener. Anyway, you won't be sorry with your purchase. Enjoy. Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks