Once again - Alternatives to Bose?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Okay, I know this has been kicked around before, but I wasn’t paying attention because I had no interest in the subject. Well, now I do. [​IMG]

A friend of a friend has asked for my help getting into surround sound, and he floated the Bose name. He said he had seen a Bose system at Sam’s for around $600, and I told him we could probably do better for that money.

So, now I need to pony up some alternatives! Because of his room, the speakers really need to be small like the Bose. We could go for something a little larger, like a 4” two-way, but that’s probably about it. He didn’t indicate a budget and seems open to spending more than the $600 if the difference can be justified in terms of performance.

So – what do you guys (and gals) recommend?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Energy Take 5.2 can be had for under $600 and fit the bill.

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

ok its going to depend on if you want a system complete with sub or just satellites no sub.

If you want a complete system with sub then I highly recommend the Energy Take 5+1's they will walk all over Bose for sound quality and volume. They come complete with an 8" powered sub that features a 100watt RMS 400Watt Peak Subwoofer 4 perfectly matched satelites with a 3.25" woofer and 3/4" tweeter. and a center channel with 2 3.25" woofers and the same tweeter. This system sounds phenominal for the money (between 600-700 depending on retailer)

If you like to see the Take 5+1's you can check out my home theater at http://home.attbi.com/~jeremy.franklin/

Now if you want a great system with no sub same price range then the take 5.2's are for you. The 5.2s are a slightly upgraded package to the 5+1's the satelites are ported where the original take 5's were not, as well as slighty upgraded driver's all in all either way would be a great system.

4. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Paradigm Cinema Series, it's ultra cheap, and has above average sound, comparable to the Atoms, IMO. You can also go with the energies, which are superb speakers

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

You could go with one of the satellite packages from polk audio. I used to have the RM-6500's and loved them for my small home theater room. They have silk dome tweeters, and offer a good alternative to the energy's and paradigm's if he prefers that type of sound. You can check out the Polk sub/sat systems here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=2

Also, the JBL NSP1 package has received much praise on this forum for being the price:performance leader in small speakers. If you packaged those up with a decent sub, it could make a killer entry level system. You can check that out here:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...Id=NOR&sCatId=

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Are JBL's NSP-1 too large? These are some amazing little speakers.

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

I don't recall the exact price, but in terms of style, Anthony Gallo Micro's may fit the bill: www.roundsound.com

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Here are some system suggestions from our Canadian friends at
    Paradigm.

9. DaveZeisler

DaveZeisler Agent

Maybe this info will help. I inquired to Bose about their products, and this was the responce I got. (Disclaimer: at no time did I actally consider buying Bose! [​IMG] ) Why am I posting this? I dunno, why not? We like picking on Bose and this is what Bose's own rep said about their own products.

Sent: 01/16/2003 12:09:51
    To: support
    Subject: Home Products

I've looked all over the Bose web site reading information about your Acoustimass systems. I'm doing some field research before I decide on a puchase. I've found many articles about how the Bose systems look and how they're supposed to sound, but I haven't found any specifications on the actual freqency range response (on and off axis), sensitivity, minimum or nominal impedance, or recommended input power. This information is very important to me when piecing together my home theater.

If you could let me know where to find this or if you could send this information my way, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks!

Date: Mon Jan 20 2003, 1:04 PM GMT-06:00
    To: davez
    Subject: Re: Home Products

*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Bose does not publish these specifications. The reason for this is that we believe that such statistics do not add very much to an understanding of an audio product's acoustic characteristics and, even worse, can be misleading. Audio manufacturers make these measurements independent of industry standards, and in varying conditions. Additionally, a single statistic is not a reliable measurement of a product's performance. One could, for instance, find a very expensive system with exactly the same specifications as a much less expensive system. On paper, the two would appear identical. The difference in performance, however, would be significant. A better approach, we feel, is to listen to the product. We strongly urge you to make your own comparisons. Bose systems will surpass your expectations.

For more information, or to place an order, please call our agents at: (800) 999-2673, ext. EM1

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation
    Customer Support Team

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

WHOA! I actually agree with a Bose rep. Scary. Regardless, that is good advice, as I am sure you know Wayne. Take your friend on a listen, it's always fun. Don't forget those Paradigm Titans too... those are only like $220/pr and are an insane value. Bookshelf sized, but they can stand their own on most music.

11. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Wayne:

A buyer's guide to 5.1 speaker systems with MSRP's ranging from $400 USD to $1000 USD can be found at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

13. DeT

DeT Agent

DaveZeisler, Wow, I got the exact same email from Bose like yours when I ask for the spec

14. Andy Sz

Andy Sz Extra

Take a look at my review of the HTD Middies. I compare them to the Bose AM-6III.

15. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brad,
    Where can I find Energy Take 5.2 for under $600.
    Thanks[​IMG]

16. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks everyone! I’m sure we’ll have no problem finding something suitable now.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt