What's new

Olympic Figure Skating Tonight (1 Viewer)

Angie T

Auditioning
Sarah was great! I've been a longtime Michelle fan too but last night I thought she was completely ungreatful to even have a bronze. And what is with the Russians protesting? C'mon! Irina did NOT skate a clean program. She doubled where she was going to triple and made one other bauble.

As for Sasha - that kid is going to rock in 4 years!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
She will grow into her body and with that wonderful exhuberance of a 16 year old, will dominate this sport and the Olympics over the next four years and maybe 8. She is exactly what this sport needs and she has the potential to be a great ambassador.
It is highly unlikely that she will continue to skate in competition after this year and who could blame her?

After all what does she have left to prove? Might as well go out on top, turn pro and make some cash.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
...explains how Hughes won the gold
Thanks, that helped a lot! Of course, I still don't understand why they don't use the sensible scoring system of: adding all scores for each skater, highest total score wins. (I'm not a fan of the current sort of scoring system)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It is highly unlikely that she will continue to skate in competition after this year and who could blame her?

After all what does she have left to prove? Might as well go out on top, turn pro and make some cash.

She's pretty young. I can see her coming back for the t Winter O's.

How much can a skater make by turning Pro?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
When Sarah Hughes was interviewed after she won, I couldn't help but think of Michelle from the American Pie movies. "One time at skating camp..." "One time at the olmpics, I won the gold and it was sooo fun"
I forgot what it was she said or if she just looked like her but she did something to make me think same thing at one point.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
She's pretty young. I can see her coming back for the t Winter O's.

How much can a skater make by turning Pro?
From marketing stand point she really has nothing to gain by hanging around for another four years.

If she quits now she always be remembered as the "little American sweat heart" who won the gold.

Besides these skaters really do work hard to become as good as they are and after you have reached the top it's hard to stay focused and keep the desire to put in those early morning hours.

Regarding how much she could make by turning pro? She probably make a few million dollars over the next few years and she can always do the pro skating tour for years.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I think Sarah H. was definitely the best that night and her exuberance & 'innocence' was everything the Olympics was missing up to that point. I hope she doesn't turn pro and hangs around for the 06 games. I certainly don't think she could compete as that would mean someone like Tara Lipinski could have competed this year.

And oh, I *had* to root for her cuz to me, she's a dead ringer for Alyson Hannigan.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Jake: I was thinking the EXACT same thing! She reminded me so much of Alyson Hannigan in American Pie when she said that! It was quite funny and very charming. The funniest part was when the interviewer asked her who was on the phone, and she responded nonchalantly, "Oh, just some Senator." It was hilarious!

Personally, I was thrilled to see Sarah get the Gold. Her routine was the most challenging and almost flawless, and her enthusism and genuineness separated her from the pack.

I would have liked to have seen Sasha get the Silver, as I thought her performance was quite remarkable as well. I was rather indifferent to Irina's performance.

Regarding Michelle Kwan, I'm glad she got the Bronze, although I would have personally rated her fourth. I think she's overhyped, overrated, and she doesn't strike me to be a particularly nice person. As far as working hard, show me an Olympic skater who doesn't work hard.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
and she doesn't strike me to be a particularly nice person.
Overhyped? Overrated? My god, Michelle Kwan is:
6-time U.S. National Champion
4-time World Champion
1998 Olympic Silver medalist
I certainly can't imagine why in the world would anyone have expected her to even medal. Only nice people who have never won any major competition should win the gold!
Sheesh, you may not like Michelle, but what she's done in the sport of figure skating cannot be denied.
I like Sarah, and she absolutely deserved her Gold, and Michelle did mess up, but it's ridiculous to call Michelle overhyped and overrated, considering her past accomplishments. Can you give me a particular reason why people WOULDN'T have reasonably expected her to win the gold??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks