What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Before it slips my mind, the Blu-Ray of "Penny Serenade" is from a source of better quality in every way than any I've ever seen on video or television, but the greatest improvement is in the nice clean monophonic audio. The "keep the baby quiet" sequence is so improved that viewing it any other way is pointless.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Well, a PD company can't just use a corporation's copyrighted restoration of a PD film without serious consequences. No PD outfit has been foolhardy enough to copy Warner's restoration of the Fleischer Superman cartoons, for instance.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
What kind of shape is THE LUSTY MEN (RKO, 1952) in? Haven't seen it in ages. Wouldn't it be nice if Olive Films could acquire a decent transfer for blu-ray release.

LustMen-1952-RKO-insert.jpg

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
The Lusty Men has recently been restored, photochemically I believe, according to the Warner Archive Facebook. A DVD release (regular Warner, not WA) is forthcoming, according to the same source.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Richard--W said:
What kind of shape is THE LUSTY MEN (RKO, 1952) in? Haven't seen it in ages. Wouldn't it be nice if Olive Films could acquire a decent transfer for blu-ray release.
Info about the Lusty Men resto, taken from The Film Foundation´s 2012 annual report:

"THE LUSTY MEN was restored from the original 35mmcamera negative using traditional photochemicalmethods. The original soundtrack negative had beendestroyed, therefore sound restoration was completedfrom a 35mm nitrate re-record negative held by the RoyalFilm Archive of Belgium. Warner Bros. also used a nitratepicture dupe from Belgium to replace sections damagedin the original camera negative.Restored by Warner Bros. in collaboration with The FilmFoundation and The Nicholas Ray Foundation."

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thank you, Stefan Andersson.

That's good news. I hope Warner Brothers has plans to release the film after all the work they've put into it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Saw this in NYC back in the heyday of repertory cinema. It is indeed a great film. This restoration print might even be better than the 35mm print I saw nearly 40 years ago! This film needs to be rediscovered by the younger generations..

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The WAC Facebook page has been teasing this title for a while so we'll probably see The Lusty Men within the next year in the Warner Archive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MisterLime said:
OLIVE FILMS is proud to announce the following NEW acquisitions. All of these films will be released on DVD and BLU in 2014:

Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) Comedy/Drama
Dir: Robert Altman – Cher, Sandy Dennis, Karen Black, Kathy Bates
••••••••••••
Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) Adventure
Dir: William Marshall – Errol Flynn, Vincent Price, Agnes Moorehead
••••••••••••
Man of Conquest (1939) Epic Historical Drama / Western
Dir: George Nichols – Richard Dix, Gail Patrick, Joan Fontaine, George “Gabby” Hayes
••••••••••••
The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) Drama
Dir: Albert Lewin – George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak, John Carradine
••••••••••••
Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Siodmak – George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Ella Rains
••••••••••••
Track the Man Down (1955) Film Noir
Dir: R.G. Springsteen – Kent Taylor, Petula Clark, George Rose
••••••••••••
A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) Gialo Horror
Dir: Massimo Dallamano – John Mills, Luciana Paluzzi
••••••••••••
The Eternal Sea (1955) War Drama
Dir: John H. Auer – Sterling Hayden, Alexis Smith, Dean Jagger, Virginia Grey
••••••••••••
Hell's Five Hours (1958) Film Noir
Dir: Jack L. Copeland – Stephen McNally, Coleen Gray, Vic Morrow
••••••••••••
No Man's Woman (1955) Film Noir
Dir: Franklin Adreon – Marie Windsor, John Archer, Nancy Gates
••••••••••••
The Quiet Gun (1957) Western
Dir: William F. Claxton – Forrest Tucker, Lee Van Cleef, Mara Corday, Jim Davis
••••••••••••
Stranger at My Door (1956) Western
Dir: William Witney – Macdonald Carey, Patricia Medina, Skip Homeier, Slim Pickins
••••••••••••
Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) Serial/Science Fiction
Dir: Fred C. Brannon – Walter Reed, Lois Collier, Gregory Gaye
••••••••••••
The Invisible Monster (1950) Serial/Horror
Dir: Fred C. Brannon – Richard Webb, Aline Towne, Lana Bradford
••••••••••••
The Beat Generation (1959) Crime Drama/Rock-N-Roll
Dir: Charles F. Haas – Steve Cochran, Mamie Van Doren, Ray Danton, Louis Armstrong, Jackie Coogan, Vampira, James Mitchum
••••••••••••
The Big Operator (1959) Crime Drama/Rock-N-Roll
Dir: Charles F. Haas – Mickey Rooney, Steve Cochran, Mamie Van Doren, Mel Torme, Ray Danton, Jim Backus, Jackie Coogan, Vampira
••••••••••••
The Shanghai Story (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Frank Lloyd – Ruth Roman, Edmond O’ Brien, Richard Jaekel, Whit Bissell
••••••••••••
The Weapon (1956) Thriller
Dir: Val Guest – Steve Cochran, Lizabeth Scott, Herbert Marshall, Nicole Maurey
••••••••••••
Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) Western
Dir: Allan Dwan – John Lund, Brian Donlevy, Joan Leslie
••••••••••••
World For Ransom (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Aldrich – Dan Duryea, Gene Lockhart, Reginald Denny
Some good titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MisterLime said:
UPDATED COMPLETE LIST: COMING IN 2014 FROM OLIVE FILMS: Fedora (1978) – Man on the Roof (1977) – The Adalen Riots (1969) – Elvira Madigan (1967) – Raven’s End (1963) – Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973) – The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers (1963) – Ophelia (1962) – J’Accuse (1938) – The Stationmaster’s Wife (1977) – Guilty of Romance (2011) – Himizu (2011) – The Bamboo Saucer (1968) – Bang! Bang! You’re Dead! (1966) – Cry Danger (1951) – Young At Heart (1954) – Men in War (1957) – Sleep My Love (1948) – The Pawnbroker (1964) – Stranger on the Prowl (1952) – Up the Junction (1968) – Betty Boop Volume 3 (1932 -1938) – Johnny Come Lately (1943) – Love Happy (1950) – Operation Petticoat (1959) – So This is New York (1948) – Flying Tigers (1942) – Home of the Brave (1949) – Good Sam (1948) – Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948) – Caught (1949) – The Lost Moment (1947) – Arch of Triumph (1948) – The North Star (1943) | Armored Attack (1957) – Forever Female (1953) – The Other Love (1947) – Magnificent Doll (1946) – That’s My Man (1947) – I’ve Always Loved You (1946) – Betty Boop Volume 4 (1932-1938) – High School Confidential (1958) – Distant Drums (1951) – South of St. Louis (1949) – Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) – Try and Get Me (1950) – Cauldron of Blood (1970) – Beware, My Lovely (1952) – Outrage (1950) – Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965) – Dragonfly Squadron (1954): In 3D Blu-ray (1954) – Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) – Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) – Man of Conquest (1939) – The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) – Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) – Track the Man Down (1955) – A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) – The Eternal Sea (1955) – Hell’s Five Hours (1958) – No Man of Her Own (1955) – The Quiet Gun (1957) – Stranger at My Door (1956) – Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) – The Invisible Monster (1950) – The Beat Generation (1959) – The Big Operator (1959) – The Shanghai Story (1954) – The Weapon (1956) – Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) – World For Ransom (1954) and more to be announced.
Thank you for the 2014 release update.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Finally! Somebody is releasing Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean. I was hoping it might be Criterion, given that it's Altman, but I'm happy none the less. :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another update from Misterlime:

Coming Soon From Olive Films - Just Announced

Volume Three:MINNIE THE MOOCHER (1932)I’LL BE GLAD WHEN YOU’RE DEAD YOU RASCAL YOU (1932)MOTHER GOOSE LAND (1933)THE OLD MAN OF THE MOUNTAIN (1933)I HEARD (1933)HA! HA! HA! (1934)STOP THAT NOISE (1935)SERVICE WITH A SMILE (1937)THE NEW DEAL SHOW (1937)BE UP TO DATE (1938)OUT OF THE INKWELL (1938)PUDGY IN THRILLS AND CHILLS (1938)

ThadK

Second Unit
I hope they've fixed the AR issue, particularly since the Calloway, Armstrong, and Redman titles have finally surfaced. I had to go into Final Cut and do it myself for the previous releases (you can also fix it manually in VLC player). The quality was hardly compromised, so given they're working with the actual masters, it's doable.

Surfs2

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I wish I could buy many more Olive Blu-Rays but the price they are asking just a little too high for what I can afford. I have a family with 2 kids and I can only afford a movie here and there with the prices so high. I understand they are charging what they need to operate, but it still doesn't change the fact of what I can afford $20-$25 a Blu-Ray is just too much in my opinion. I just wish they were selling them at a more reasonable price point i.e. $10 to $12 and then I would buy many more and I have several friends and family members who feel the same. I hope they at least start to release sometime in the future Blu-Ray boxed sets at a cheaper price so I can afford to own a lot of these classics. Anyways, just my opinion. Thanks, Bob

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Surfs2 said:
I wish I could buy many more Olive Blu-Rays but the price they are asking just a little too high for what I can afford. I have a family with 2 kids and I can only afford a movie here and there with the prices so high. I understand they are charging what they need to operate, but it still doesn't change the fact of what I can afford $20-$25 a Blu-Ray is just too much in my opinion. I just wish they were selling them at a more reasonable price point i.e. $10 to $12 and then I would buy many more and I have several friends and family members who feel the same. I hope they at least start to release sometime in the future Blu-Ray boxed sets at a cheaper price so I can afford to own a lot of these classics. Anyways, just my opinion. Thanks, Bob
If you shop around and visit several vendors' websites, you can usually find Olive BRDs for less than $20-$25. Until very recently Import CDs were much cheaper. Deep Discount are also worth investigating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks