What's new

Okay where I am at and what I am going to do, I think :-)) (1 Viewer)

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
First off I’m not sure how much or what to write here so bear with me. Looks like this the will be my setup after replacements recommended from HTForum and reviews from other sites: TV Room / Little Home Theater Room demensions: 15 1” X 10 ½” The TV is in an entertainment center I built in double door closet 48” there are two large windows on the left side of the room which is the left side of the TV. The entry door to the room is a 2' 6" at the end of the room where the TV is. There are two recliners, main watching point of the room. There is a piece of a sectional that is used for seating and sleeping for me on the right of the recliners. On the oposite side is a straight back chair and a computer cart I built for my notebook and tower computer. Already in Place TV – Vizio 47” 3D Model # XVT3D474SV DVD Player – Vizio 3D Blue-Ray Model # VBR133 Cable Box – Time Warner Motorola Model # DCH6416 VCR – Sony VCR Model # SLV-N71 Speakers – Link below – KLH HTA-4100 6-Pc.(5.1 Surround Sound)Home Theater System with Powered Subwoofer Side – KLH Model # Unknown Looks same as others, but purchased much earlier and has a little speaker on top that turns left and right (I currently connect these to front connectors) To be Replaced HT Receiver – Replace Sony Model # STR-DH800 with either a Denon 1312 Model # 1312 or Denon Model # DHT1312BA Remote – Harmony 900 – Refurbished or Harmony 1100 – Refurbished (Still making up my mind here) If I go with the Denon DHT1312BA it comes with Boston Acoustic speakers that I assume will be a decent set for this receiver. If I go with the Denon 1312 then I don’t know if I need to change out speakers right away or if the cheap set will work until I make a decision or not. I did find a Link for the KLH set on CNET Archive that will some info on these that will help with that decision with help understanding that. So a recommendation on a speaker options would be appreciated. Don’t really have a budget in mind, but would like to keep it at the lower end, but still get decent sound. Not real sure about using this editor, but something else to figure out. So I will end as confused as I started, maybe a little more and wait for replies :)) Chuck

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
it comes with Boston Acoustic speakers that I assume will be a decent set for this receiver
Have you listened to them or at least other BA speakers? How do you know if you will like the way they sound? Everyone hears differently. What is crisp sounding to me may be harsh to you.
Don’t really have a budget in mind, but would like to keep it at the lower end, but still get decent sound.
Figure out a budget with numbers. Some here consider $100 lower end while others think that $1,000 is. We can better steer you to products if we have a real budget.
Not real sure about using this editor, but something else to figure out.
You type. You submit. It works like a mini word processor.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
[QUOTEHave you listened to them or at least other BA speakers? How do you know if you will like the way they sound? Everyone hears differently. What is crisp sounding to me may be harsh to you. ][/QUOTE] No, I haven't listened to them yet. At the moment the DHT1312BA appears to be in stock and depending on the feedback from here my wife or both of us will go take a listen if they are setup at the Best Buy to listen to.
Figure out a budget with numbers. Some here consider $100 lower end while others think that $1,000 is. We can better steer you to products if we have a real budget.
I would say if I have to put a number on it at the moment I would say $300 or less would be a good start at the moment and willing to increase with good justification to do so.
You type. You submit. It works like a mini word processor.
I understand the concept, just need to figure out the quotes and other capabilities that are available. Just another observation of me being a nub, not a slam at the editor.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
One thing I forgot to add. I already have brackets in the ceiling for the speakers so I would want to stay with speakers small enough to attach to the current brackets. Sorry about that.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Well I think that I have made the decision on what I wll do. I am going to order the Denon 1312 and unless I get input from someone that the cheap set of KLH speakers will do damage to the 1312 I will postpone upgrading them for the moment. I have also decided to purchase the Logitec Harmony 900 so that I have the RF capability. That will leave me with the following setup: TV - Vizio 3D HD TV - Model # XVT3D474SV DVD - Vizio 3D Blue-Ray DVD Model # VBR133 HT Receiver - Denon AVR-1312 5.1 Home Theater Receiver Cable Box - Time Warner Motorola Model # DCH6416 (Seems like this might be going out so this might be replaced soon) VCR - Sony Model # SLV-N71 (Old, but we don't watch a lot of VHS anyway) Speaker - KLH Model # HTA-4100 (Cheap, but will do until I can decide what my upgrade path will be) Remote - Harmony 900 Being a noob and not sure my hearing is on the same level as most of you on this forum I am not sure the low level speakers will seem that bad until I replace them with a better quality speakers. At that point I will probably sit back and say oh, that is what I have been missing. :)) I do appreciate all of the input on the different post I have made and would really appreciate any more input on my final decision I have made. Especially if the speakers I will use will cause damage the Denon 1312. The last thing I would want to do. Thanks All Chuck

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are the KLH speakers 8 ohm? The probably are and that will not harm the receiver.
Being a noob and not sure my hearing is on the same level as most of you on this forum I am not sure the low level speakers will seem that bad until I replace them with a better quality speakers. At that point I will probably sit back and say oh, that is what I have been missing. :))
Upgrading speakers is that kind of reaction. It's the difference between hearing the speakers and thinking the performers are in the room with you.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Yep, they are. Thanks for the input, but was concerned about damaging the receiver. Knowing they won't is a relief. I want to let all of those that provided input how much I appreciate that. It is nice to know there is a forum with knowledgable people willing to assist and help those of us that don't have a clue. A very valuable resource!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks