What's new

Your usual "Where do the speakers go and what should I buy" question (1 Viewer)

r00tbeer

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
So my current setup is an Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver

2 old Polk Audio powered towers (circa 2002-3ish)

A Velodyne Impact 12" sub on the way via Amazon

I'd like to do a 5.1 surround in my living room, which is shown below in my masterful ms paint rendering. :ph34r:

The space on the right is open, and has the kitchen/dining room. My ceilings are 10 feet high. I have hardwood floors and wood furniture.

A) Should I replace the Polks and get something more modern? The sub circuity in one of them died and makes a weird crackling noise so i unplugged both of them. I don't even know how many watts they can handle.

B) i'd like to be able to crank up music and have a decent movie experience

C) what surrounds should i get? they'll need to be wall mountable.

D) Where do i put the surrounds? The bottom wall has drapes along most of it, so to the left and right of the drapes and a bit above them?

E) I barely know enough about this stuff to be dangerous, so im sure there's questions i should be asking but don't know enough to ask.

Thanks for the help!!

23978920939_1077b69947_b.jpg

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Where's the center speaker? I'd think of it as the single most important speaker, figure out where it's going, what kind it is. Then get a good L and R to match it.

For your surrounds, bookshelf Polks should work -- mount one on the wall to your left, even with the couch. Could do on a stand, but may as well build a little shelf for it. The one on your right (RR) will either need to go on a dedicated stand (they sell them), or you'll need to put in a sofa table type of divider that runs about where your "21 feet" line is (a little lower down). The speaker could sit on that.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
r00tbeer said:
A) Should I replace the Polks and get something more modern? The sub circuity in one of them died and makes a weird crackling noise so i unplugged both of them. I don't even know how many watts they can handle.

Yes I would get new speakers

B) i'd like to be able to crank up music and have a decent movie experience

You should have enough power with that AVR that just about any speaker will get plenty loud.

C) what surrounds should i get? they'll need to be wall mountable.

That depends on your budget When you know your budget we can figure that out.

D) Where do i put the surrounds? The bottom wall has drapes along most of it, so to the left and right of the drapes and a bit above them?

Put them up on the wall on either side of the couch. I don't know how difficult it will be to run wires back there but there are wireless kits if you can't.

E) I barely know enough about this stuff to be dangerous, so im sure there's questions i should be asking but don't know enough to ask.

If you think of anything feel free to ask

If you don't have any off center seating positions then you can get by without a center. A center just anchors dialogue to the screen for those off center seating positions. I'm not sure I would build a system around a center speaker. I would pick what you want for main speakers and match the center to that.

What is your budget for this upgrade?

I would get new speakers as it sounds like the Polk towers have seen better days. Sounds like you don't need a sub so you're just looking for the 5 channel speakers. Start with the mains, then the center then the surrounds. Do you have enough budget for them all at one time...hard to say. Depends on what you want for speakers. If nothing else get a set of mains and run a 2.1 for a bit while you save up for the rest of the speakers.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
ArmSC said:
If nothing else get a set of mains and run a 2.1 for a bit while you save up for the rest of the speakers.

The one set of speakers that he has.

I'd get a good center, use the mains for a while until he can afford new ones that go well with the center.

Actually, I'd get all three in the first buy.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Race you and I disagree about the speakers he has. If they are not working properly I would just get rid of them and start over.

That means he effectively has no speakers. So getting a center wouldn't be the most pressing need, a set of mains would. That's why I suggested the 2.1 setup as he already has the sub coming.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
ArmSC said:
Race you and I disagree about the speakers he has. If they are not working properly I would just get rid of them and start over.

That means he effectively has no speakers. So getting a center wouldn't be the most pressing need, a set of mains would. That's why I suggested the 2.1 setup as he already has the sub coming.
That was already clear from the exchange, I think.

I recommend placing a higher priority on the center speaker, and go from there.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'd also recommend adding at least on subwoofer. Dayton audio is about the least expensive sub you can get that will give you decent performance. Rythmik, SVS and Hsu all make great subs as well, but are much pricier. Best of luck!

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
vidiot33 said:
I'd also recommend adding at least on subwoofer. Dayton audio is about the least expensive sub you can get that will give you decent performance. Rythmik, SVS and Hsu all make great subs as well, but are much pricier. Best of luck!
I know it sounds like we're saying "get all of it!" But really, get the sub, too. The sub is one of the key difference makers in how it sounds. I can turn off my sub on my system (which is a good system) and it totally lessens it.

Get the front three in a matching timber (compatible), plus a sub for a 3.1, then save up for the surrounds to get to your desired 5.1.

Anything less than that feels like "just wait until you've got enough for that."

r00tbeer

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
Ok to answer the budget question

$1500ish for fronts.. i can go over it they're worth it

$1200 for center and two rear/surrounds

A Velodyne Impact 12" subwoofer is already headed my way.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
r00tbeer said:
Ok to answer the budget question

$1500ish for fronts.. i can go over it they're worth it

$1200 for center and two rear/surrounds

A Velodyne Impact 12" subwoofer is already headed my way.
Sounds like a plan! Just get approval from Management and make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks