What's new

Ok, I bought everything now help me set it up... PLEASE (1 Viewer)

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson
I have a Vizio GV42L (looked up some different calibration settings) with a Toshiba HD-A2, XBOX 360, and PS2. My A/V receiver is the Onkyo 605 and my speakers are the Fluance AV-F3 Towers, Fluance AV-SC Center, Fluance Bipolar Surrounds, and AV123 X-sub. Also, Harmony 550 remote, Onkyo DS-A2 Ipod Dock, and APC A/V Sure Protector (Coaxial, Noise Filteration)

Wires & Cables (All From Monoprice):
2 - 6 ft. 28 AWG HDMI Cables
50 ft. 12 AWG Oxygen-Free Speaker Wire
1 - 6 ft. Optical Toslink 8mm Cable
1 - 6 ft. Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable
5-7 - Pair of Gold Plated Screw Type Banana Plugs

Is there anything else I need in the wire/cable area?

The setup: (in an apartment so I am not able to tear up the walls)
I am planning on mounting the TV so I was going to just run the HDMI from the 605 to the TV. I am going to run the HD-A2 (via HDMI), 360 and PS2 (via Component) to the 605. As well as an optical for the surround sound on the 360. Now the big questions...

The Towers are capable to be Bi-wired. Would I be able to do this is my setup and would it be worth it?

The Center Speaker will be sitting on a shelf on my TV stand. Is there a easy way to angle is up a bit?

Does the sub need to be hooked up via RCA cable and Speaker wire? How do I turn off the internal crossover to led the receiver handle it?

How do I prepare the speaker wire with banana plugs for best AQ?

What are some of the setting I need for the 605 to get optimum A/V quality?

Would DVE be a good investment to calibrate the Video and Audio?

Misc: Would some green LED be a cool effect? Cheap place to get them?

And as always, Any other words for wisdom and suggestions. Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I'd start by setting all your speakers to SMALL to let the sub handle all the low-frequency duties. A SPL meter and the test-tones will help you set the levels.

The bipolar speakers - thats a bit of a problem. You really need to pull them out into the room 3-4 feet to get the full effect. (I have bipolar towers myself). They will work fine closer to the back wall, but try pulling them into a room to hear what they can do.

Find a pen-style laser pointer or a laser-level. Use it by placing it against the sides of your speakers to see where they are pointing. Your center speaker should be pointing at your head. But the L/R speakers can focus 1-2 feet in front, exactly at your head, or 1-2 feet behind your head. You just have to play with all 3 settings in your room to decide what sounds best.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks