What's new

*** Official "X-MEN 2" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw this tonight and this movie rocked!

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of 4

Can't wait to see it again. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
There's so many things to like in this movie it's simply ridiculous. For me X2 is the quintessential comic book movie, possibly unseating the first Superman movie just based on sheer scope alone. This movie drips X-Men in every possible way and does it so right, it's hard to think of a single frame to change. Perfection.

You know you're a fan of these movies when you anticipate the X in the opening Fox logo to remain on screen slightly longer during the fade to black.

Doesn't it ever wake you in the middle of the night. The feeling that somebody will pass that foolish law and come for you. And your children. Take you all away.

Not only does a story or two get told, the first movie is happily married to the sequel in almost every respect; except Michael Kamen. They learned their lesson and moved on to John Ottoman, who also edited this amazing cinematic masterpiece(take that John Williams)! Pyro's now got dark hair and is a darker character than the playful classroom torch. Other than that, everyone from the first production is back with a better script, more action, more sex? Yep X2 has quite a few make-out scenes! What does that tell you? It's even good as a date flick! Honestly, I don't think any movie this year will surpass X2 in it's ability to deliver everything you wanted and more including the kitchen sink.

All the characters get equal play time here. It's not just Wolverine's story any more. Nightcrawler is introduced to us in an amazingly spectacular manner. Bobby aka Iceman witnesses his own family turn his back on him. Rogue is more developed(winky). Magneto is an absolute mad man. But there is another: Stryker. Another mad man bent on ridding the world of mutants and he essentially pimps everyone in this movie. Brian Cox puts in a fine performance. Jean Gray, wow she's developed so much she's becoming a force to be reckoned with. We see the incredible powers Xavier possesses. I can go on and on but I won't.

If X3 is better than this movie I might have to wear a pair of Depends to the theater.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I'm vey much in agreement with Carlo's review. The film has a nice "epic" quality to it, with a good balance between action and characterizations. I was drawn into the drama.
And I am in agreement with you! Wow. Great flick, the summer starts with a Bang! :star::star::star:1/2 / 4.

--
Holadem

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Saw it last night. Absolutely incredible; I was floored by the character development in the film. Jean Grey, in my 30+ years of reading the books, has always felt like the heart-and-soul of the story, and this film does wonderful service to that concept.

Tied for my favorite 'comic-book-film', with Unbreakable.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Good, solid movie. Superb cast and great FX.
Greatest comic book movie ever? Nah. Not to me. This all boils down to who your favourite character(s) were growing up. I rank this one third behind Spidey and Superman.

After the buildup Magneto had in the first movie - felt his character was pretty wasted in this one.

X-Men biggest strength and weakness is the number of characters. It's a smorgasbord of superpowers and you don't get to know any of them that well. Works well in a comic book medium but feels too busy in a movie.

3.5/5

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Saw this today, I thought it was much better than the first film with some enjoyable, thrilling action sequences. I liked the main characters more this time, the climax took up nearly half the film, but I loved it.

The music was functional and did its job, but nothing special, it's been an hour and I can't remember the music at all. I didn't think much of Michael Kamen's score for the first film, but it grew on me and would have preferred him do the score for the sequel.
Looking forward to the dvd.:emoji_thumbsup:

I saw the Matrix Reloaded trailer before X2 started and that 3 minute trailer blew away everything I saw in X2, can't wait to see that, it looks incredible.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I took my wife to see it yesterday for Mother's Day :) She didn't like the first one very well, but loved this one, saying it was 10 times better. And she WAS an XMen comic fan at one time, collecting the Wolverine series from issue 1. (BTW, mid-40s with a college age son...)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Very solid movie. Great acting and the action was superb. Deep and thought provoking and I actually cared for these characters. This one is gonna be hard to top. Wolverine steals the show. I'm an official geek now.

:star: :star: :star: :star: of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
This movie owned me. Enough said. :D

:star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2 of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Ok time for a little negativity... ;)

(moved to discussion thread for spoilers. sorry everybody ;) ) To sum it up though not great just average.Lots of stuff irked my tater.

Of course as a hardcore fan of the comic Im not as forgiving when it comes to certain changes. Especially those done seemingly without good reason other than to put the directors spin on things. I dont want Bryan Singers X-Men, I want MARVEL comics X-Men. Its to big a propety for him IMHO, hes more somebody Id imagine doing Daredevil or Punisher, not X-Men. Of course Id love to hear what you guys think,just please dont flame me! :D

Luis S

PhilipW

Second Unit
Luis,

How long have you been reading the comic?

Personally, I think the two movies have been prior to comic timeline as far as the ages and concept. The end of the second movie, where they are talking to the prez is more of a "we know you know we're here and we're here to stay". More of a coming out point.

I don't think it is to be based off of today's or even 20 years ago when they were a developed team. That's why so many of the ones you see in the comics are being introduced as students. They didn't want to throw all of these mutants at the audience and say we're the Xmen. Nobody (non comic fans) would have know who was who and it would have flopped.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Luis, those spoilerized comments truly belong in the Discussion Thread for X2. You should consider cutting from this thread, and posting in that other thread for some discussion of your points.

Now, we return you to the reviews. Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks