What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official "X-BOX" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
This is a system for Real Men. Not the cute electronic lunchbox that the Gamecube looks like or the fragile PS2. X-box feels big, heavy, solid, and it purs when you turn it on.
"Real Men" don't need big toys, only Small Men. ;)
All kidding aside I think I'm going to have to pick up one of these bad boys but that doesn't mean that I won't need a Gamecube to play the new Perfect Dark game either.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
If nothing else the XBox has ushered in the era of 5.1 gaming.

Once you enter this world of aural immersion going back to stereo is going to be a tough task.

Graphic capabilities have improved with each new console and is expected. Playing a game in DD and/or DTS is a whole new experience and pushes the gaming experience to a new level.

'Course my opinion could change once some 720p or 1080i

capable games show up!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, look at the posts a few messages above yours.
I can verify that ONLY my Princo CDRs will play in the Xbox. Other audio CDRs I made using TDK and the newest Verbatims do not work. :frowning:
Dammit, Princo CDRs are expensive.
I will be testing with CDRWs next.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
CDRWs do indeed work with the Xbox. Too bad there aren't any 80 minute CDRWs. :angry:
I used the Maxell CDRW brand.
Looks like the DVDROM in the Xbox does not have the extra laser to read CDRs. Certainly makes piracy a little more difficult I bet.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Interesting observation: Audio CDs are played back at 48Khz, as reported by my Yammie DSP-A1 through the optical output.

So, looks like the xbox upsamples from 44.1Khz to 48Khz. I noticed an audible difference between playback from my Panny RP-91 DVD player and the xbox. I like the Panny's playback better.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I thought that the XBOX was quieter than both the DC and the PS2. Definitely during disc access, not sure about "idle" time though.

-Dave

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Both Memorex and Verbatim make 80min CDRWs.
Awesome!
My Xbox is quieter than my DC. Michael, maybe try turning off your HT...the Xbox does output ambient "computery" sounds, y'know. :)
I do notice that the fans seem to get louder the more you play....variable RPM fans?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Of all the disc based consoles, I heard the GCN is the most quiet and the X-Box is nearly tied with it. Guess that was wrong.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
My Game Cube and Xbox are about the same. My Halo disc is a little off balance and gets pretty noisy sometimes.

Dean

DaveM

Grip
I too just picked up an Xbox yesterday after telling my self that Game Cube was the route I was going to go. But after playing my brothers system last weekend...Halo, Project Gotham, and NFL Fever changed my mind. My take on noise is that the Xbox is quieter than my DC. The fan on my DC is very noisy and drive access is very loud as well. Of course when I play the DC I pull it out of the TV stand/entertainment center and set it on the floor. The Xbox is on the side of the TV on a pedestal. So both are out in the open when in use. The Xbox driver sounds no louder than my DVD Rom drive in my computer, which is not that loud..compared to the four case fans and the fan for my Geforce3. Enough typing...back to Halo.

DaveM

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
From the Anandtech article it seems as if Microsoft chose a lot of the devices to keep the noise and heat down to a minimum. Even if it sacrificed performance somewhat.

James St

Supporting Actor
For those interested. I got a Memorex CD-RW to read on my X-Box. I'll try copying tracks and experimenting this weekend.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
O.K...I need some help with this..I havent had a chance to check out the component cables for the Xbox yet.I have a 4:3 T.V. set with component video.My question is do you also need the HD pack to hook up the component cables? Thanks for any help.

CraigR

Agent
Andrew,

Yes, you need the HD av pak for component cable hook up. You can use the unshielded component cables that come with the pak or use your own cables. But you still need the HD pak to hook up your own cables. You can opt to buy the Monster cable solution but will need to buy the 400 and 100 link. The xbox HD AV pak sells for $ 20 and the Monstercable solution retails for $ 65 and $ 39 for the two items.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One thing that MS did that I like is the HD pack. It has all the things for doing all the different outputs right there. Though it would have been cooler if they had just included it with the X-Box.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
One thing that MS did that I like is the HD pack. It has all the things for doing all the different outputs right there. Though it would have been cooler if they had just included it with the X-Box.
Well, you know what sucks? For some damn reason, my TV's wideband component input will not support a 480i signal...so when I boot up the XBOX, the dashboard (which is 480i only) is just a crazy wavy picture until the game starts...then it's a beautiful progressive scan image. This sucks because when I want to rip songs I have to switch AV packs. I bought a second HD AV pack when I was having the 5.1 problems since I was hoping it was the AV pack and not the XBOX.

Anyway, I now have a new XBOX and it works perfectly. So anyway, I have two AV packs and one runs to a switch box then to the wideband input. When I need the dashboard, I switch the AV pack in back of the XBOX (easier than switching inputs on back of TV) and this pack runs to another switchbox and to the standard component input. Dammit, I have a wiring nightmare!

Anyway, to those with a GC, how is the GC set-up for progressive scan. I've heard it it's not through the dashboard. Someone told me you have to hold down "b" when a game is starting and that some games (like Rogue Leader) have the option in the game menus! That #@$! sucks! I want to get a GC, but that is going to be DAMN NIGHTMARE for me with how my TV is set-up. Is this true?

Aaron

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I have it bad.

I pre-ordered an XBox, and received it ON LAUNCH Day via FedEx, and had NO PROBLEMS with any of the shipment.

However, at the risk of my wife leaving me, after a long discussion, we agreed that the XBox would be my Christmas present this year, and I would get NOTHING else, but the worst part is, I CAN'T PLAY IT until Dec 25th!!!!

I have DD/DTS receiver, 6 Speakers, a 36" HD Ready XBR TV, and all the right connections to make it happen. I went out and purchased the HD pack, an extra TOSlink cable, and a TOSlink splitter. I am rip-rarin' to go, but I have a month before I can play.

I'll be at my in-laws house until Dec 31st, too, so once I do get to open this bad boy, I'll have to suffer playing it on a no frills 32" TV with no surround sound. Bummer.

I've already got Halo, DOA3, and Munch's Oddessy (came with the Bundle that I bought), and I've pre-ordered SSX Tricky, and I am sure to get either Tony Hawk2X or PGR for Christmas from dear ol' Mom-in-Law.

This is the biggest test of patience I've ever dealt with.

Good thing I have a PS2 and MGS2. Oooohhh yeah. Almost finished with it the 1st time through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks