What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official "X-BOX" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
Well, I just bought an Xbox bundle, which included an extra controller, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, and DOA2. Hope it's as good as I've heard, and that I get it by Christmas!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Well I got my XBox today even though I told myself I would wait until next year. Isn't self control a wonderful thing? :)
Anyways, hooked it up via Monster component and optical cables and am having a go at Halo, the only game I've picked up so far. An hour or two into it and it seems pretty well done, though I'd give my left nut fot a keyboard and a mouse. Guess I've spent too many years playing FPS on PC's. I'm slowly getting used to the control scheme, but the awkwardness is taking me out of the game a bit. I'm sure it'll become natural eventually though.
The next game I'm gonna pick up is Project Gotham since it seems like another solid title. That or wait and get Final Fantasy X for the PS2 first and then move onto Gotham.
So far so good though, and hopefully some more kill app titles come out for the XBox soon.......

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Me too, I am used to controlling the "gun" in FPS with the mouse, so Halo has been difficult for me. I am stuck on the level where you have to:

>>Stay with the survivors

>>Protect the human survivors

>>Wait for an evac dropship to arrive

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
For what its worth, I have mine waiting for Santa for awhile but they are no where in my hometown to be found. I have convinced my oldest daughter (13) that we wanted to get her one but never could find one ;) Most of the Xbox software is gone, saw my first DVD kit last night @ 11:23 pm @ TRUS. Wanted to get it but my daughter was with me. I (@40) managed to spend $169 for more toys for myself while there... :b I guess we never grow up! I can't wait much longer to play this thing!

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Well Im the latest person here to get the xbox. I just

got it today for christmas along with Halo and Oddworld.

I am having so much fun too. I just want to go buy a Game Cube now but everywhere I called the past 2 weeks its been sold out. I think I should be able to get one though now after christmas. Anyways Xbox is awesome.

-Mike

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Finally hooked mine up today. Visuals were SO MUCH BETTER then I was expecting. I was almost in shock when I saw DOA3 in 16x9 Progressive Scan widescreen on my 55" Mits.
I love this system already. FINALLY a system with full progressive scan and digital 5.1 surround support. The DD 5.1 does not feel half-assed like on my PS2 either.
It was also fun powering up the system and enabling 480p, 1080i, DD 5.1, and DTS on the X-Box dashboard.
Heavy little sucker too. About twice what I was expecting it to weigh. MS states that it weighs about 9 lbs or so, but it feels heavier to me. I like the little green circular light on the front too. :emoji_thumbsup:
No, I am not a Microsoft salesman -just a happy X-Box owner. :D

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am very pleased, too. I FINALLY got to "crack open" the family's Christmas Xbox! I picked up an extra controller, DVD remote, Halo, Munch, NFL Fever and rented Max Payne, DOA3 and NHL 2002. So far, so good.

About the only negatives I have is that the Xbox fan is fairly loud (at least it's pretty noticeable when playing at a low audio volume), I find the controller vibration to be a tad anemic (compared to the PS2), and during playback of the non-interactive demos on the OXM demo disc, the audio/video has a tendency to temporarily stutter and hiccup. I cleaned the disc (which did not look dirty to begin with), but it didn't help. Since it does not happen during games, DVD playback or CD playback, I assume it has more to do with the way the OXM disc is made? In any event, I will keep an eye on it. Has any one else noticed this?

Gary

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Progressive Scan Pack???

Odd, as there has been no buzz at all about such a thing.

I don't doubt that you saw it, but perhaps it was something other then a progressive DVD package?

Could have been a 3rd party HD A/V pack, and they could be calling it a 'progressive scan pack' -I suppose Microsoft could have called the HD A/V pack a progressive scan pack, as it does output a progressive signal.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Gary Cianciosi, a lot of people have had problems with the OXM disc...especially #2. I have skipping movies & the Oddworld demo freezes on me, too. There may be a bad batch of discs.
A possible update in progressive scan for DVD movies news: in the Feb. '02 issue of Official Xbox Magazine, they make this announcement: "Last month we reported that the Xbox would be able to update to play Progressive Scan DVD movies. In theory, it could be done, but it turns out that the Xbox is not going to do this. We were wrong. Our bad." FWIW...
Update on my universal remote & Xbox: I haven't found any hidden features, but it sure beats the Xbox remote nonetheless. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dan B

I opened my x-box Christmas day and was suprised how big it was. I love it. I got SSX and Halo. I had never played any SSX before, and I really am enjoying it. Halo is amazing. I've got it hooked up via component cables so the progressive scan will kick in on my Mits 46 in widescreen set. However this locks the set in stretch mode, so Halo graphics look good, but I do see a few jaggies here and there. What makes the game great are the AI of the enemies. This game is great, on the third level I was using my sniper rifle with night vision to take out guys that were all the way across the horizon. Some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

My brother isn't a real big video game fan. I finally got him to play coop with me mainly because most of my own marines were pissing me off and getting killed. The problem now is he won't stop. We played all day yesterday, in the fifth level he got the tank and I stole a ghost. We unleased hell on people. It was priceless. He is proclaiming it the greatest game ever, and he hates everything. In the third level we would quit playing and start the level over just so we could storm the beach again. What a game

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
My brother isn't a real big video game fan. I finally got him to play coop with me mainly because most of my own marines were pissing me off and getting killed. The problem now is he won't stop. We played all day yesterday, in the fifth level he got the tank and I stole a ghost. We unleased hell on people. It was priceless. He is proclaiming it the greatest game ever, and he hates everything. In the third level we would quit playing and start the level over just so we could storm the beach again. What a game
Same thing happened to me. One of my good friends has never been a video gamer. All he does is complain if we just sit in and play games all day. He came over with a few friends yesterday and we played 4 player Halo for about 7 straight hours. His exact words were "I hate video games but this is the most fun I have ever had!" What a game.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
I am 24 years old and a product of the the video game generation. My parents have never understood my facination with videogames. Well, this xmas I brought my Xbox to my moms house to have her play. She and my step dad loved amped. It was funny, she kept calling it the "Ibox". haha.

Anyways, it was a trip to see her playing and laughing and getting into a game like that! It did help that they have a 60" Tv with Dolby surround I must say.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Just got the high def pack yesterday....Boy...this system rocks the house in 5.1! Component video is sweet too.I just wish i had a widescreen TV. Any rich people out tere wanna get me one as an early Christmas gift?:)
I also got the DVD kit,and was suprised to find on all movies i have,it plays seamlessly through the layer changes.
A very nice suprise indeed.
Can't wait to see Panzer dragoon,shenmue 2,Jet set radio future, and NFL2K2 on this system!

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Gentlemen,
Drop your linen and stop your grinnin'! XBox is in the HOUSE!
Opened mine up on Xmas day, connected to the Mits 55" widescreen via the HD A/V pack. Whooohooo! Dolby Digital is the shiznit!
I've gotten Halo and May Payne, both of these games are excellent, graphically and audibly. I'm more into Max Payne now...I can't believe sometimes that this is just a game.
I've finished the first Chapter: The American Dream and it was the bomb! The graphics, sound, story and voice acting on this one is top notch.
I've only started Halo, got through the first level and started the second. I'm diggin it, but I'm going to have to hone up more on it later.
I had a little snafu when I first hooked up my XBox, I used the HD inputs on my TV and forgot to switch the signal type to Y/Pr/Pb (had it on RGB) and my games were all green! I told my girlfriend that I had gotten a faulty HD box. Whew, glad that's been resolved. :)
Troy
Xbox heaven

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OK, I want to buy my x-box sooner or later, now that xmas is over and I got my HALO for X-mas, trying to search through the posts over here, I'm looking for the following setup:

X-box

2 controllers

mem unit

S-video

DD connection

I have found that there is an A/V pack which has the digital output (Toslink) and the S-video cable. I will have to buy a Toslink cable but the A/V pack includes an s-video cable? I also found that I can get a splitter in Radio Shack since my one Toslink input is taken from my Dish501 receiver.

Does the X-box come with 1 controller or do I have to buy both controllers and the mem unit. I have not even seen the box yet so I'm not sure what's included with it so forgive me if this seems like the 5000000th person asking this.

Thanks,

Jay

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I had a digital camera to take a picture of what I saw. I swear it said Progressive Scan Pack in bubble wrap. I'll probably visit the same stores in the next few days and take a quick pick.

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

The xbox comes with one controller.

You only need to buy a memory card if you plan on moving your game saves to another xbox. Otherwise you can just save it on the hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks