What's new

***Official World Series Thread***: Diamondbacks vs. Yankees - your pick? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
quote: First of all Batista was not warming up to come into game 3.[/quote]
The Baseball Tonight staff at ESPN would disagree with you. They basically have echoed the sam thing that I've been saying. They disagreed with the starting of Schilling on 3 days rest. And most would agree that if Schilling had rested, he pitches a complete game. So, in effect, my 'harping' has quite a basis and is in fact, not 'way off base'.
Look at the stats on pitching someone on 3 days rest. Those pitchers are 1-9. Stats don't lie. Just in case you need some solid info, just tune into ESPN Baseball Tonight or research this on several baseball databases that are available. As far as arguing the point about pulling Schilling, I'm pretty sure the reason he was pulled is the fact about the short rest.
MikeM:
biggrin.gif
How true, how true.
I suppose there's just going to have to be a point where we agree to disagree. NY fans won't concede the fact that the poor management actually let their team back into it. But, I've been saying it for years - the main reason that the Yanks are always contending is due to Torre; he's the best manager in the AL, if not the entire league.
Btw: the Yanks win in the 12th ; 3-2.
------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!
[Edited last by John Thomas on November 01, 2001 at 11:41 PM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'm stupefied.
If history is to be trusted, Kim's career will spiral into the toilet from this. It's rare a pitcher recovers from these types of failures, not to mention back to back.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Dana, buddy, stop shouting. You're hurting my ears!
wink.gif

Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
never give up= 2001 Yanks. My hat goes off to them. Like I've benn saying since October 1996, NEVER COUNT OUT THE YANKS.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Ok here is where the inexperience screams for the D-backs. I can not believe that the MVP candidate Luis Gonzalez had a guy on 3rd and nobody out with a 3-0 count and looked at 2 strikes down the middle. What the H E double hockey sticks was he thinking?!!!
eek.gif
That 3rd run that they never got in truly came back to haunt them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Gonzalez looked at 1 inside strike that painted the black, swung at another inside strike that painted the black, fouled one off and then just plain missed the pitch for strike three. Give Mussina credit for not giving into Gonzalez.
I don't really blame Kim (though he's basically toast, and won't be seen in any meaningful capacity for the next 1 or 2 game(s)) because the D-Backs left so many men on base. It's a team sport, and to lay it all on one guy just ain't fair.
And give credit to the Yanks for coming through in the clutch.
But I still think the D-Backs will win with home field advantage and having both Johnson and Schilling up for the next 2 games (I don't think the bullpen needs to even show up because both of those guys will finish what they started).
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

RicP

Screenwriter
Yahooo Indeed!
laugh.gif

One more to go...and as the cliche goes...this one will be the hardest to get.
I am still astonished at what has happened the last 2 nights. To not win this whole thing now would be a waste of the 2 greatest baseball miracles in history.
And how about that celebration for 21!! We're gonna miss you Paul...You've been the best!!! Thanks!
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Oh man. Why can't MLB get rid of the yankees instead of the twins. Divine Intervention From Beyond doesn't exactly make for a competitive season.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, I don't want to pay for a new stadium either.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
all i can say is... WOW.
but to take a step back, this is what baseball is all about. finally we have a real series. i mean last year, Yankees Vs. Mets - it had the makings for a great series (NY vs NY, the holy grail for chrissake!!!), but the Mets weren't up to it, and as big a Yankees fan as i am, i'm also a *baseball* fan and the fact that the series was never in doubt was disappointing. *this* series is like the Twins/Braves series except the fact that the Yankees are in it makes it so much more sweeter.
how good is Rivera?!?!? i'm more of a pesimist than an optimist and whenever a guy is THAT good statistically i'm just waiting for the shoe to drop... DAMN! but this guy is unbelievable! he deserves the money he held out for at the beginning of the season.
too bad for Kim - i really feel for the guy. Kudos to Grace and the catcher going out to console him.
kudos to the Yankee crowd chanting O'Neill in the ninth!!! like i said, this series has had EVERYTHING. this is a series to remember.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Absolutely unbelievable!! The 2001 Yankees are the luckiest team in sports history. The series should be over. The DBacks should be going home winners, instead they've got to go back to Phoenix and win two more games. I think they can do it, they've got the two best pitchers in baseball right now coming up. And there is no possible way for Kim to give up another 2 run, 2 outs, bottom of the 9th homer.
If Kim played for a South American soccer team, I think he'd be killed by the fans the instant he stepped off the plane. You have to feel sorry for the guy. You know they won't bring him in again, but I'd love to see him get the save in the 7th game.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
Optimus Prime Films

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Arizona wins it in 7!
I also must say Brenly should've kept Schilling in, he was dominating the Yankees again and had kept his pitch count low.
On FOX's "The Best Damn Sports Show", John Kruk said Kim was a "trick" pitcher, the longer he was in there, the more hittable his pitches were. I agree, it's like he was just lobbing the ball up to the plate.
Brenly should'nt have brought Kim in again last night either. The D'backs starter was doing a VERY effective job. Morgan or Swindell should've been used.
Ah well, Randy Johnson is up next then Schilling again. If they can pitch complete games, the Yankees are finished (GOD I HOPE SO! I truly detest the Yankees and their ridiculous payroll.)
------------------
Sign up for a "Return of the Living Dead" special edition DVD at the following URL!
http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/ROTLD.html

RicP

Screenwriter
GOD I HOPE SO! I truly detest the Yankees and their ridiculous payroll.)
Ah yes the patented "anti-Yankee" excuse when they can't think of anything better. Let's blame...um....the Payroll!!! yea that's the ticket.
Funny how you never hear them say anything about how PISS POOR the Red Sox or Dodgers or Mets were this year with their "ridiculous Payroll".
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Well, game 6 is going to separate the men from the boys. The Snakes still have the paper advantage with Johnson pitching. If they don't choke, they win. I say they'll end up finding a way to lose.
What no one mentioned about last night -- the winning run should have been out number 2. The throw home was totally perfect, it had Knoblauch beat and the rookie catcher dropped it. The difference between the teams so far -- the Yanks find ways to win and the Snakes find ways to lose.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks