What's new

***Official World Series Thread***: Diamondbacks vs. Yankees - your pick? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Besides All-star games, I don't recall ever seeing the teams shake hands or high-five each other after the game, or a World Series is over. That's mainly a little league tradition, and it may extend to the college ranks (don't watch enough college baseball to know for sure.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I think they do it in Football also. I wonder why the don't do it in Baseball. I do remember doing it all the way through high school baseball.
Kevin C.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
What happened to the tradition of shaking your opponets hands after the game? Do they not do that anymore?
What Sportmanship? I am reminded of the response of Woody Hays when asked about sportmanship and the emphasis on Winning.
It's not whether you win or loose that matters, but whether you win!
The D'Backs were good sports.
Also, How bout Mark Grace staring in the upcoming sequel Shallow Hal and the Slump Busters. Any Jim Rome fans out there feel free to explain.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Shallow Hal and the Slump Busters
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nice Ashley! I'll try to get the quote right. Something like,
Jim Rome: "Mark, for the listening audience who may not know, what exactly is a slumpbuster?"
Mark Grace: "Well, when a guy is in a slump and can't get anything going, he's got to go out and find the fattest, ugliest chick there is, and he's just got to lay the wood to her. It can also be called jumping on a grenade for the boys."
Something like that. Mark Grace is absolutely one of the best/funniest interviews in sports. This quote does absolutely no justice to the real soundbite.
As for handshakes after the game...During the regualr season, it is common for the team to line up and high five each other, not the opposition. At the end of the World Series, there usually is a mob at home base, or the pitchers mound. TF

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
They gave Arizona all they wanted and more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
And the Yankees didn't?
Well excuse me; add "as well" to the end of that statement. However, St.Louis never was blown out in a game like game 6.
biggrin.gif

------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Well, it was a great series even if it had an unhappy ending. I would have given the MVP award to Johnson though it was interesting that they gave it to him and Schilling.
Rivera had no problem bouncing back after the 1997 playoffs so I'm sure he'll be ok next year.
Look for Buck Showalter to get lots of offers for one year contracts.
Now that the season is finally over, I can finally get around to watching my Simpsons and Godfather box sets.
Wait 'til next year...

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Trey,
Your "take" was "above average". Our "Monkey" moved Rome to the 9-12 P.M.! slot and I have really missed him. I have not heard him over the WS and all the playoffs.
Gracie will now be one of "The Jungle's" hallowed members.
I posted a week ago about how demoralizing a six game win by the Yanks would be. The actual games went 180 degrees from my scenario which equated to one of the greatest series I can remember.
ESPN Radio with Dan Patrick is running a poll. What is better, the Yankee loss or the D'back win. As a Dodger/Braves/NL fan it has to be the Yankee loss.
[Edited last by Ashley Seymour on November 05, 2001 at 04:17 PM]

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Count me surprised that Torre didn't have the middle infielders playing double play depth with the bases loaded and one out. If so, Jeter probably ranges back and gloves Gonzalez' dink.
Hmm, maybe Steinbrenner is smarter than I thought not offering Torre a contract extension...
laugh.gif

Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Count me surprised that Torre didn't have the middle infielders playing double play depth with the bases loaded and one out. If so, Jeter probably ranges back and gloves Gonzalez' dink.
Perhaps if they had been playing double play depth, Gonzalez would not of even hit the ball in that direction anyhow. A good hitter finds the holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks