What's new

Official Warner Chat Discussion See Post #2 for Chat Transcript Link. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Jeff, I am just as unhappy as you are about the delay
on this film and the fact that the studio is merely
looking for a marketing window. I have been wanting
this title in my collection for years and having to
wait yet another is discouraging.

Still, what is one to do? If it were available in
widescreen in R2 I'd be buying it today.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
It's being released on April 25. That's pretty ASAP

Thanks, I missed that, I cant wait, the last Kelly and Donnan film...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
One can't do much can one? ;) Too bad there isn't a solution to the situation like there was with "All That Jazz". :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I am!

I've been holding out for all the single-disc Bogart snappers.

At the very least, a re-packaging of the Bogy-Bacall noirs (Dark Passage, Ket Largo, To Have And Have Not and The Big Sleep) together in a simple box collection for convenience.

And a keepcase reissue of the two Raoul Walsh films - They Drive By Night & High Sierra - would also be nice.

I definitely agree that 'The Big Sleep' is candidate for a proper Special Edition though. That's a classic Chandler-Marlowe portrayal and one that's made significant impact on pop culture and Hollywood filmmaking that carries over to this day.

A simple reissue of all of these films (and even The Postman Always Rings Twice and The Bad And The Beautiful) in amaray keepcases would be very much welcomed. But I don't see why a convenient little box set collecting all of the Warner Bogart noirs couldn't be workable. It'd just be another way of making these DVDs more accessible to those who haven't picked them up yet.

I've never purchased because I was expecting a S.E. of The Big Sleep at the very least, and made it a point early on in DVD collecting to avoid all snapper cases because I was tired of dealing with and replacing dented covers. I'd like to see these reissued as well.

The Bogart Singature Collection (or whatever you like): The Big Sleep, Dark Passage, Key Largo, To Have And Have Not, High Sierra, They Drive By Night.

I'd buy that in a second! Even just plain old reissued with existing transfers and extras.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
But didn't Warners say that they were going to avoid box sets with previously released films because people complained ? I assume they meant the Davis and Crawford sets which included some new to DVD and some already released films. Why would they put the already released Bogart films in a box set?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

People complained because they released existing titles currently available, with new-to-DVD releases.

Repackaging loose individual titles in a box is no different than repressing them for distribution when supplies run low. Those who already own them don't have to give a second thought. Those who don't but would like to finally pick them up in an easy set can do so. And those anal retentive compulsive collectors who need to have it all can pick it up for the box and do what they like with their old titles.

I'd understand why people who own a handfull of films would complain when they are being re-released with exclusive titles that they'd want to otherwise purchase. But when they are just being repackaged, there's really no reason for anyone to have an opinion. It's a reissue for those that are interested. Simple.

I wonder if this new set will compile the existing snappers or if we will finally have these films in proper amaray cases?

I just hope it's not some promotional bundle offer with a cardboard strip around the snappers holding them together but an actual box...

Anyways, thanks Warner Bros!

If you want to reissue High Sierra, They Drive By Night, The Postman Always Rings Twice and The Bad And The Beautiful in amaray cases, I'd gladly pick them all up as well!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
And a second "updated" Judy Garland Signature Collection would be welcome since we've since seen S.E. reissue of a number of those titles making it pretty obsolete.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

you are indeed.

i've been holding out on the bogie snappers for the same reasons you have. this bogie and bacall box at least makes me feel like i haven't been waiting for nothing. a very reasonable price too. good news indeed. i guess i'll still hold out for they drive by night, high sierra, and a reissue of the postman always rings twice.

oh, edited to congratulate warner on making my wait for a good edition of bonnie and clyde bear fruit as well. i'm very excited for the 40th anniversary edition.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think I might pick up the Bogie/Bacall Box -- but it's a shame that someone just bought me KEY LARGO on its own as a Christmas gift.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Anyone have a list of the Bogart films already on DVD that won't be getting reissued? Obviously the four in the Bogie/Bacall set; Casablanca; The Petrified Forest. Any others?

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

well warner was asked if they'd revisit to have and have not, key largo, or the big sleep. and they said "We see no reason to revisit the other BOGARTS, they were restored from orig camera negative, and there really isn't much else to do that would warrant creating a new edition"

so i don't know if that means those three. or all bogart films aside from the maltese falcon. i wouldn't get my hopes up. i'm pretty happy with what we've got with the sierra madre and casablanca two discs and the gangsters set though. after this bogie and bacall set and maltese falcon two-disc i'm going to be one happy bogart fan.

Jae_E

Agent
How about some WWII thrillers like Operation Crossbow, Berlin Express, Nazi Agent, and The Mysterious Doctor?

Also, does Warner have the rights to Powell & Pressburger's One of Our Aircraft is Missing?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope Warner is looking at addressing Cabaret so we can finally get an anamorphic transfer and a dvd package that's fitting for a film that won eight Academy Awards. Next year is the 35th anniversary of it's theatrical release.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
One Bogart film that awaits DVD release is THE RETURN OF DR. X (1939). It would also be a good way to pair up the unrelated DOCTOR X (1933). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks