What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official Warner Chat Discussion See Post #2 for Chat Transcript Link. (1 Viewer)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
There were 48 Bowery Boys films.

I would have no problem seeing them released out of chronological order; certainly, that's what Warner did with, for example, the Astaire & Rogers films, and nobody complained. Just give us some Slip, Sach, Chuck, Whitey, Louie, et al, and we'll be happy, Warners, honest!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

This was shown on TCM a few months ago but it's also turned up on countless PD labels including Alpha, Treeline and the one mentioned by Paul.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I wouldn't sell the sales potential of these films short Michael. Granted, they're not going to sell like a Disney classic, but there a lot of B movie fans out there of all ages who have pent up desire to get these films on DVD. "Grey Market" dealers have sold thousands and thousands of Bowery Boys, Charlie Chan, B-Westerns, etc titles over the years and these things turn up on ebay as well. Warners wouldn't be releasing these if they think they wouldn't sell.

Steve

Danny Burk

Second Unit

Also true in the case of films with missing footage. A good example is Chaney's 1928 WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS. I believe it's missing an entire reel, but it's still an *excellent* film and deserves release. It's been shown at classic film conventions; I've seen it, and while of course one wishes the additional footage were present, I'm very glad to have seen what does exist (roughly 85%) rather than never be able to see it at all. It's certainly not ruined by the missing footage, and a bridging title or two (not present when I saw it) would go a long way toward smoothing things out.

I suspect that the missing footage is, at least in part, a reason why this film has never been shown on TCM. Perhaps WB assumes that no one would be interested in buying a DVD with an incomplete film, but there's not a Chaney fan I know who wouldn't love to have it, complete or not, and it would surely be a nice addition to an upcoming Chaney collection.

On a totally different note...hmm, maybe the MGM "surprise" noir is NIGHT MUST FALL? I think it's something of a pre-noir, and IMO this would be a good opportunity to release it...it's a great film, for those who haven't seen it.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Historically, the Dore Schary regime at MGM gets a bad rap, and, yes, he down-sized MGM by ending the Golden Age of musicals as the the star system and their contracts were running down and out, but there are some fascinating and unheralded film noirs from the fifties that would make terrific (double-feature) dvds: John Sturges' JEOPARDY and THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA; Anthony Mann's SIDE STREET and THE TALL TARGET; THE MAN IN A CLOAK; THE BLACK HAND: TALK ABOUT A STRANGER; CRY TERROR! and THE DECKS RAN RED; HOLIDAY FOR SINNERS; RIGHT CROSS; BORDER INCIDENT; CAUSE FOR ALARM; THE UNKNOWN MAN; THE SELL-OUT; BANNERLINE.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Danny, I also thought about Night Must Fall as the surprise MGM title in the noir box set. Wonderful movie, but I guess they wouldn't put 2 Bob Montgomery's pictures in the same collection.

DavidBC

Second Unit
I couldn't participate in the chat (seriously considered calling in sick, but just couldn't in the end;) ), and I was sad that no one asked my question about

Katharine Hepburn

There's a ton of RKO and MGM stuff that could be released. I hope they're seriously looking at her movies for a potential box.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm absolutely ecstatic from the news that they will have all their silents that are on my wishlist out by the end of 2007. "Greed", "The Crowd", "The Big Parade", and "The Wind" are the last of my absolute favorite films that have yet to be released on DVD. Wonderful, wonderful news, and thank you Warner!

CameronMcC

Second Unit
i was just so happy that they answered my question about Carbine WIlliams with "we were just looking at that" Gives me hope that it is being considered for real. With such a massive library, no doubt many favorites get passed over every year.

And another Chaney set....WOWEE, didn't see that coming. The Chaney TCM archive is one of my favorite dvd's, and the Keaton disc was also very well thought out. I'm not a hung Laurel & Hardy fan, but am considering the new disc on those past merits. Any silent film on dvd is good news, and Warner had a truckload of that the other night.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
You know, one thought....

Now that some of the TCM Archives releases have been out for a while, I wonder if it would be a good idea to release special "bare-bones" editions of single films. Like, release separate editions of The Cameraman, The Flesh and the Devil, and The Unknown - but with only the extras linked to that film (commentary and photo gallery).

This is why I've held off on Buster Keaton... great set, but I really don't want to pay for Free & Easy. :D

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm gonna wager that The Big Parade and The Crowd come in a TCM Archives release for King Vidor. The question is whether they can put another 1 or 2 Vidor films on there as well - La Boheme? Show People? The Patsy?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Michael,
Warner is certainly doing some excellent work for those of us, like yourself and me and others, who have a wide variety of films we wish to own from the studio. But it continually boggles my mind that you sometimes can't 'fathom' that not everyone out there buys everything or anything, and the majority of customers only have very specific and individual titles they're anxiously searching for and are not full-blown movie addicts who will watch anything. It's really that simple. :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I am also curious as to what will be included in the Harlow boxset. Warner did reveal that there wouldn't be separate Harlow/Gable or Gable/Crawford sets, but that the films these stars made together would simply be apart of each stars boxset - I guess it would be a matter of deciding if Red Dust should go into the Harlow or Gable set, etc. Harlow's last film "Saratoga," which also featured Gable, should definitely go into the Harlow set. Well, at least I know they're coming, but we knew this from last years 2005 chat. I had hoped that we would get more specifics this time around. However, I am excited about the things scheduled for the rest of 2006. WHV is doing outstanding work.

P.S. - I am happy that "Secret Six" (Wallace Beery is really the star of this one, with Harlow/Hable in supporting roles) is being released, but has anyone heard anything about "Beast of the City?"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There will be a May 16th release date for The Green Mile SE. The second Bette Davis Collection is scheduled for May 30th. Look for the John Wayne collection on June 13th. Also, the Clark Gable and John Ford collection will be in June too. Expect the Stanley Kubrick SE dvds on September 5th and the Forbidden Planet SE on October 3rd. The 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty on October 10th. I expect the Superman Ultimate Collection to be released on the first Tuesday of either November or December.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for those dates Robert!

I would also love to see this title on DVD too, but I'm actually hoping for a separate release for this so that they can add the 1964 remake with Albert Finney as an extra.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Some other things overlooked here:

Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy

Esther Williams - isn't a set supposed to come out this year?

More Garbo- Where's Susan Lenox- Her Fall And Rise? Love? As You Desire Me? Two-Faced Woman?

Lupe Velez' Mexican Spitfire series from RKO

Eleanor Powell musicals- what about Born To Dance and the Broadway Melodies of 1936 and 1938?

A Jane Russell Signature Collection- she was to RKO in the 1940s what Ginger Rogers was in the 30s. BTW, Warners has only scratched the surface regarding the RKO holdings, but I suspect that perhaps it has to do with a lot of titles that need restoration from a library that have had a lot of owners over the past 60 years!

All above illustrate what I posted earlier about Warner Bros.' vast holdings- they have an embarrassment of riches and only so many man-hours, facilities and personnel to get things done to satisfy viewer demand. We do get impatient, but on the other hand we know that for the most part when classic titles are released by WBHV, they get the absolute best DVD treatment from a major studio!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Robert, just to confirm...so we can expect the upcoming SEs for 2001, Clockwork, Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut to be packaged together in a boxset?

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I love everything that Warner's is doing, the one question I wish people would have asked but no one did, are there any plains to issue a special edition of WOODSTOCK, the original edition of course could have been alot more, maybe do it in the original aspect ratio with the different ratios from single frame to multi screen in the 2.35 letterbox, like they did with THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT, is that at least in the works???

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Haggai,
No, I misspoke and have changed my wording.:b The four 2-disc SEs will be coming out on that Tuesday.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks