What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official STAR WARS DVD Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Played the cantina scene and surrounds are still swapped. Lock up and freezing is fixed though.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
I fortunately haven't had any problems with this set. I spent the day at home, sick today, so I gave the trilogy a spin. I'm still amazed over the PQ on these three discs, and especially with ANH. I love it!
biggrin.gif

Karl B

Grip
Don't suppose anyone knows of an e-mail address for FOX so that I can check if my replacement has been issued? As I'm in England I don't fancy the prospect of having to keep phoning to find out.

Thanks.

*** wahoo! replacement arrived this lunch. Fingers crossed it works... ***

I got my replacement copy of ANH in Monday's mail. I haven't had a chance to watch it though. Hopefully the problems have been corrected.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
quote:I thought Ron Epstein said a representative from THX was going to come here and talk about the audio problems? Any word?

Hark back to the days of the Van Ling TPM workshop that never happened--the one that was going to show us there was no edge enhancement. To be fair, I guess they could have shown us no edge enhancement was applied (as I have heard or rather read), but some other process in encoding left the appearance of edge enhancement. Hey, I don't care how it got messed up, I just care that it's messed up. It's okay, though because we'll be able to buy it again with a fixed up transfer when it's re-issued. It is the way of the Force.
smile.gif

Dave Farley

Second Unit
quote:Hey, I don't care how it got messed up, I just care that it's messed up. It's okay, though because we'll be able to buy it again with a fixed up transfer when it's re-issued. It is the way of the Force.

You're probably right on the Van Ling workshop comparison. Things have calmed down so LFL and THX would probably like to just let the complaints fade away without answering to it.

I'm hoping things get fixed on the next release. Let's hope that new problems don't pop up next time.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I do remember Van Ling doing a chat here and had a technical THX rep available for questions about the Phantom Menace EE and none of the complainers showed up for the chat. So I guess they figured no one showed up for a chat why bother with setting up workshops and such. So there was a chance to get questions directly to THX but no one bothered to show up for the chat.

Karl B

Grip
Well, bad news, folks. For me, at least. Tried my replacement copy of New Hope last night - it still has the same picture stutter as my previous two copies from the retailer, and in exactly the same place.

Checked the disc and there seems to be nothing that indicates this is a Version 2/re-pressing, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Whilst I'm impressed and grateful to FOX for shipping me another disc, I do feel a little miffed about the whole thing. Looks like, in this instance, I should have bought the Region 2 set!!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Have you tried it on another player? Maybe your player just doesn't like that disc. That happens from time to time. My Zenith 318 will not play disc 2 of Lawrence of Arabia for anything, won't even begin to play it. My panasonic RP82 plays it with no problem at all. My guess is you're expierencing a similar problem. Try it on another dvd player and it may well work.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I noticed those grey boxes around the Tie Fighters in ANH as well. I guess those "grey boxes" are from the compositing of the super imposed image of the Tie Fighter. Before watching the box set, I used the "THX Optimizer". Once I noticed those boxes, I reset my settings to what they were prior to using the THX optimizer and the boxes were no longer visible.

It is a callibration issue.

Karl B

Grip
Greg-t,

Yep, checked all three on 2 other UK players (one was a real cheap player too) and they all played ok. But on my US model Pioneer that ain't so. Which is annoying as it's the only disc I've ever had a problem with (figures it's Star Wars, but hey, c'est la vie).

Course, it could be argued that everyone's copy of New Hope that freezes is actually fine as I personally don't have that problem on my player - mine's a different fault in a different place.

So I guess my main main gripe is this thing shouldn't happen in the first place. If I pay good money for a disc, then I don't expect to have to buy a different player just to watch it.

Moan over.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Received my corrected disc and am happy to find it's smoothed out the sticking point of my original, which occurred late in the film...around the point where Tarkin is told the Death Star is nearing the Rebel Base (via intercom), etc. Used to freeze there, every time. Nice to see it slide on through there now, no trouble.

My Toshiba still gets a wiggins at the 26/27 juncture; keeps playing, but causes the counter to freeze and for me to lose control of the player (all remote commands are ignored).

Still, it's fine and dandy on everything else. Playback, at least, is seamless.

Otherwise, apparently no further transfer or audio tweaks.

Bottome line:

Nice of Fox to provide this service, especially since outfits like Amazon stopped issuing replacements for these some time ago.

--Jack

Amitai

Auditioning
Incidentally, can someone please tell me the correct layer-switch point of Star Wars episode II (region 1 NTSC)? My player performs the switch at 66:29 (chapter 28), but I read on a website that it's supposed to be at 66:26...

Dave Farley

Second Unit
quote:I do remember Van Ling doing a chat here and had a technical THX rep available for questions about the Phantom Menace EE and none of the complainers showed up for the chat.

I remember something about Van Ling making an offer to let people travel out there so they could prove that no EE was added. They mentioned an interest in looking at what people were describing so they could understand the complaints better. Of course, the average person isn't going to travel in order to get an explanation on their $10 DVD. They probably didn't add any edge enhancement but something caused it to appear that way. You didn't even need a large screen to see the problems with that DVD.

I wonder why no one ever showed up here to address the concerns over the new box set?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I also got a replacement Ep. 4 disc and unfortunately mixed it up w/ the original defective disc --> I can't tell which is which! I brought both to work where I have a DVD-Rom drive, but all the files I looked at (on both DVDs) were created on 6/16/2004. Is there a specific file (or place) that I should look at on the DVD to see which is newer?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
That's what I'll have to do.

From looking at other similar threads, the VOB files on the replacement Fox disc should be newer, but they're not. Both say created 6/16/2004.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I definitely noticed the Black and White shot of the Stormtroopers guarding the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars last time I watched it. It's the (relatively) close-up shot around the time Leia says "You came here in that thing. You're braver than I thought".

It's really pretty obvious since it cuts right to a wider shot from up above. Quite clear that there are color values in the wider shot and none in the tighter one.

Very strange. How could a mistake like that even happen?

Is that the video question that THX was supposedly going to address?

I'd like to hear Lucasfilm explain that as intentional. Guess I shouldn't say that since that's probably what will happen.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Just noticed while watching ROTJ a faint green horizontal line across the top (where the image and the letterbox meet)....Anyone else ?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I see that on pretty much every scope film. Faint blue or green lines. Top AND bottom of the film image. Didn't notice anything more prominent than usual on Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks