What's new

*** Official "STAR TREK: NEMESIS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Good lord, Knowels sounds like one his freakish talkbackers. Well Im still there no matter what, the trailer got me pumped and the story sounds real good. The only sad thing that may come from these negative reviews is that it may very well turn people off in which case if Nemesis makes less than Insurrection it could be the end of the Trek movies.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I think most of the people ragging on Knowles in this thread should really do their homework on the man. Yeah, he can be childish at times, but he likes what he likes and he writes accordingly.
Great for him and I still find his writing adolescent hence why I choose not to read it and more importantly ignore it. I have no doubt the man is passionate about movies and he can have any opinion about anything that he wants. I truly don't care which is why exactly why I said "To hell with the Star Trek review" portion of his little article and focused squarely on his writing ability (or lack thereof;)).
It seems as though you enjoy Harry's writing. More power to you! My opinion won't matter to you either way then. However just as you are able to express your feelings on liking his reviews, I am equally able to express my disdain for what he writes. I don't need to bother doing "homework" to see that in my opinion the man can't write worth a damn. Even worse he hides it by unending expletives and sexual innuendos that have ZERO to do with the movie he is reviewing.
I don't need to read high art in writing for a film review. Nonetheless when "FUCK" or "SHIT" is used as the most pervasive words in your vocabulary to describe a film? Well your opinion, at least with me, holds less and less wieght.
Thats my opinion and I feel the right to express it just as you have but I digress. No need to bother spending anymore time and energy arguing the merits of Harry Knowles in a review/discussion thread for Star Trek Nemesis.
So anyone else going opening night? I know I'll be there:).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I used to be a HUGE(and I do mena HUGE) Trek fan.

And I was just saying the other day I doubt I'll go see this.
Berman should have been let go a long time ago and Picard should have been killed allowing the rest of the cast to get more involved. Oh gee, yet another movie focusing on Picard and Data, while everyone stands around and does nothing.Riker, Gordi and Worf havent done a damn thing since the series ended.

Say what you want about The Motion Picture but at least it was about "New life forms and...... Boldly going where no one has gone before" instead now we have "Only we can save earth" stories.

Generations stank,Voyager blew chunks,Insurrection I cant even bring myself to comment on(and Stewart was VERY involved with "ok-ing"the plot of that nightmare)and Enterprise is a fucking embarassment.

Its depressing to see what Trek has become.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
hahaha this thread is halorios, should be renamed 'lets bash Hairy Knolls' (or is it Grassy Knowles?), well I'm still going to see Nemesis no matter what Hoary Nails says, I'll make my own mind up, the last one 'Insurrection' was ok, I enjoyed it but it wasn't one of the greats, 'First Contact' was the best Trek since 'Undiscovered Country' and much better than some of the episodes.
Maybe Nemesis breaks the 'even numbered' rule, lets wait and see.
As for Heary Nills reviews, I sometimes read them for a good laugh, I have nothing against him, he is um passionate about movies, he either really hates a movie and wants to kill everyone involved or really loves the arse of it. And it does look like it might be sour grapes on Hireys part, no invites to the set or premiere maybe?;)

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
There hasn't been a genuinely great Star Trek movie since Wrath of Khan, in my opinion. There have only been two that I even consider good/entertaining since then, and neither of those are TNG movies. I just don't think TNG ever had what it takes to cut it on the big screen. The TNG cast is so flat and devoid of any charisma that they always seem to suck the life right out of the films they are in. Maybe that's why their movies never seem like anything more than overblown television episodes. At least when the TOS cast made a bad movie they still had their natural charisma to fall back on.

Suffice to say, I do not think Nemesis will be breaking the streak for the TNG cast. Even though Harry Knowles is pretty much a raving fanboy with zero credibility as a journalist, he does represent the main part of the target audience these Trek films aim for. Knowles is a huge Trek fan, and a sci-fi fan in general, so if he has such a negative reaction to the film then I think it is safe to say that it will not do well with general audiences either. If this movie is as bad as it looks to be, then hopefully it won't do much business and it will prove to be the final nail in the coffin for the Trek movie franchise. Paramount should fire Berman and just let Trek stay dormant for at least a decade. Maybe by then somebody will actually be able to think of a fresh approach worthy of the Star Trek name.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I read Berman said there would be another Star trek movie no matter how Nemesis does.

I love to see someone take over for Berman,put Riker(maybe with Shelby and Gordi) in the captains chair and carry on with him and forget about Picard and Data.

A better idea than Enterprise.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I love to see someone take over for Berman,put Riker(maybe with Shelby and Gordi) in the captains chair and carry on with him and forget about Picard and Data.
I've been saying this for awhile but I think we honestly need a complete and total break from the Federation and humans all together.

I would love to see a show completely based around a Klingon ship for instance. Could you imagine the possibilities and character archs that could be created when dealing with a warrior race like the Klingons. Explore thier heritage so forth so on. I just wish they would let us explore the Star Trek universe from the vantage point of something other than a human being.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
What really bugs me about Knowles is that he goes on and on and on about how he's a fan yet keeps himself at arm's reach from the masses. This didn't use to be the case back when he or someone else would stumble on a script for something and talk about it. Now, it seems that he wants the best of both worlds - to be both fan and insider. While I do appreciate the site being more fact than rumor now, I just wish it were the result of more research and less press junkets.

To stay on topic, I didn't read Knowles' review of the film. I will go see it, the following Thursday. I've given up on seeing films on opening night. Too many BM eaters talking through the feature, be it amongst themselves or on their friggin' cell phones.

De

Cell phones make a rude public even ruder.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Mancow(a radio dj) was doing his regular segment on Fox & Friends this morning. His last comment was that he saw the movie last night and it stunk. And he was bummed by it because he is a Trek fan.
When will Paramount wake up and fire Berman & Braga???

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely a Star Trek fan, and will see Nemesis at some point in time. The thing i'm worried and upset about the most is just the timing of this release. This time of year for this year and the next will be dominated by Lord of the Rings. No kind of scifi/fantasy film will be able to hold its own. Nemesis should have been release in the fall or maybe next spring.

oh well.

~Jason

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
As someone who has seen it, I'll back up Scott and say that Nemesis is a tepid film. Awfully thin, especially for a Star Trek film.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The sad part is that even if this tanks and we get a long hiatus on Star Trek movies, that just means we'll have a long hiatus and Berman and Braga will be back all the same after ten years. Really, these guys can't get a job anywhere else so I guess it's smart of them to hang onto it as long as possible, but really, why is Paramount keeping them, don't they have the authority to boot them?

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
As long as Berman is involved in Trek, it will continue to be as pathetic as it's been since he weaseled his way into control of it. He has no clue what makes for good Trek, good SF, or a good movie.
Period.
I read a leaked script for Nemesis earlier this year and it read really badly. I know the ship sequences (and particularly anything involving combat or conflict) will be amateur and totally non-cinematic; only Kahn ever did good Trek ship-v-ship combat. Raise your hand if you were sitting in the theater for the infamous JOYSTICK scene in Insurrection? How many times has the ship separated drive/saucer in the movies (too many)?
Let's start a pool of how many times the bridge crew will rock around on-camera as if the ship were getting the crap pounded out of it, intercut with repeated shots of the Romulans firing, without returning fire. Better, let's start one that guesses how long the pounding will go on before our fearless heroes finally react and save the ship at the last possible instant … which will be after you've concluded the ship would have been destroyed due to the combat hits (VI was really bad about this; the end fight was the cloaked BOP hammering Enterprise for several minutes straight before the clever ending).
I told a friend earlier today I was probably going to see it, but reading this thread, and having thought on that comment, I realise if I pay for a ticket, they'll assume I like their movie. That I feel they should make movies like that.
No. No. Hell no.
The sad fact is Trek fans have to let go and let the whole thing crash into embers before reembracing it, just to get Paramount to listen. They put Trek stuff out, we pay for it, bitch and moan about how bad it is and how much better we feel it could be, then go and pay for the next thing that comes along. It has to stop somewhere. Paramount obviously isn't going to stop funding the movies or make them really enjoyable and of a good quality; they keep giving Berman cash to do more of them. They keep letting Berman handle the franchise, big and small screen, and he keeps not getting it. This isn't just a few films, he's been involved since VI I believe, and since DS9. I don't even have to really give examples, the Trek fan base can point to the silly and disappointing stuff for me.
The fans have to speak up by not going, by not funding, by not paying. Because if we do, even if out of a fond sense of remembered nostalgia, the only message that comes through is "they're fans, they'll go regardless". Make them listen. Don't go on Friday. Don't go the next week. Don't go when it hits dollar theaters. Don't buy it on DVD.
Maybe rent it, but do so on DVD so the studio doesn't see the cash (since last I heard rental houses weren't profit sharing on DVD rental like they did/do on VHS).
It's the only way to get a GOOD Trek film again. They have to see the money go away.
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the best bits in the film come during a rather extensive space battle/chase/dogfight sequence. Alas, those moments don't run long enough, but I was pleasantly surprised at the relatively exciting (if few and far between) action scenes.

And yeah, this one's Picard and Data all the way. A few cast members get some cursory dialogue tossed their way, but none of them really figure into the plot in any important way.

Plus Data sings.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The best thing about DS9 was Berman's relative lack of involvement. Of course, when DS9 ended and they tried to bring over DS9 people to Voyager that all went to hell rather quickly and most of them ended up leaving because Berman wouldn't allow anyone to mess with Voyager and (horror of horrors) actually make it interesting.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Harry Knowles has zero influence on me. And that dreck at his site he calls "writing"? Where I work, any editor would issue a kill fee to Knowles and not run the piece. Knowles would never have gotten anywhere but for the anarchy of the Internet, a place where anyone with a keyboard can call him or herself a "critic."

As for Nemesis, I'm not all that hopeful to begin with but will definitely see it next weekend (not this weekend).

And while Rick Berman is draining the life out of Trek with his terminal mediocrity, do remember that he saved the franchise back during TNG's third season. He simply has outlived his usefulness, as Enterprise so amply demonstrates.

Seth_S

Second Unit
If there will really be another TNG movie, the Trek diehards need to organize a serious snail mail campaign to get Q in it.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I dunno. There is always someone saying they should do a "Q Movie." But really, what can you do with him? I think he's the hardest to write into a film (though apparently he actually had a scene in "First Contact." Don't know if it was filmed and cut or written and then cut or what though). He's not really "menacing" anymore (if he ever was) and given how badly the film humour has been written lately I really cringe at the thought of really badly penned Q one-liners.

You're not going to have him and Picard trading blows. He's always the round-about adversary, getting them into odd situations but never the real direct threat (except in a few instances). I think it's been shown he has a place in his heart for humanity and Picard & the gang, so it would be kind of unbelievable for him to suddenly be immensely hostile towards them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I spoke to my brother who saw Nemesis last night and he too was very disappointed. He is as big a Star Trek fan as I and we almost always agree on Trek and his main complaint was that it was dull.
He said it read much better as a screenplay and the bulk of the blame should fall on Stuart Baird's shoulders for its listless direction. He said almost everything about it was blah with a few exceptions.
The only films worse in his opinion were The Final Frontier and Insurrection.
I'm really bummed as I was extremely looking forward to this being a great Trek. I will see it this weekend but my expectation have been seriously lowered.
Perhaps that is a good thing....
:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks