What's new

*** Official SPEED RACER Review Thread (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Count me in as another one that liked the film. The special effects served their purpose, but didn't blow me away. I liked it most for the story and the execution.

A good and bad thing at the theater I saw it in: I was the only one there.

The theme song at the end was terrific. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I wasn't sure I wanted to see this until I saw the trailer on the big screen, it worked better in theater. I'm glad I saw it, it's a very fun movie. I loved it. The race scenes are very thrilling though the quick cut edits were a bit distracting. I lost track of what was going on in the final race for a few moments. The cast was really good, especially Sarandon, Goodman, Ricci and Fox. I liked pretty much every thing except for Spritle and Chim Chim. Usually I don't mind kids and animals in movies at all but those two characters were on the tip of being completely annoying. Maybe I'll like them more when I see this on DVD, I'm definitely going to buy it.

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this opening night at Arclight in Sherman Oaks. I really liked the movie. Some of the people in the theater hated it. They were talking out loud at how bad they were. These people sounded very pretentious, in the lame comments they were making.

My favorite favorite favorite scene was when he won a race, jumped out of the car and did the speed racer pose from the cartoon intros. Some people were laughing when he did some of the signature stuff from the cartoons. That was pretty cool to hear. I am 29 and remember watching every episode when they were aired on MTV when I was in Junior High. This is just a plain fun movie to watch. I can't wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray. I am unsure of what people were expecting from a movie based on a cheesy badly dubbed anime before anime was cool.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I finally saw it this morning (I figured I was quickly running out of chances to do so in a first-run theater), and I loved it. Never seen the cartoon, but it seemed clear to me that the obviously goofy lines/scenes were meant to be homages to it.

I really can't understand all the venom being directed at this movie. Of the four big tentpole releases in May, this one was my favorite by far.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I saw this last night and absolutely loved it.

Never saw the original cartoons as has been mentioned.

One thing I really liked is the usage of color.

You could almst say that this was the sequel to Tron.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I loved this one two. My current favorite of the season. Just such a joyous movie. Shame it's tanking at the box office. If not for "The Matrix", I would consider this one their best film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Speed Racer". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. I found my self choking up at a couple of spots. Christina Ricci looked great. Even Susan Sarandon looked great. Racer X was the best part for me. Mathew Fox was perfect -- his part amounts to Snake Eyes in G.I. Joe.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
8/10

A great movie but a so-so film. Absolutely amazing visual sequences but paper thin characters and plot. This is fanboy wish fulfillment at its finest, and I loved every minute of it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Saw this one on Blu Ray recently, and I am very disappointed I didn't see it in the theater. Like some of you I have zero connection to the cartoon; the only time I saw any piece of the cartoon was because it aired after Beavis and Butthead on MTV so I always saw the opening credits.

Excellent ensemble cast, very likable characters, and my goodness the visuals! The racing scenes were very dynamic both in the effects and the staging.

Overall Speed Racer is a good time, which is all we can ask of our movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks