What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official SIN CITY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

IINM, swastikas are Buddhist symbols and since Miho is Asian one might assume she's a Buddhist. Dark Horse Comics also reprints a Japanese comic called Blade of the Immortal and the hero is a samurai with a huge swastika on the back of his robe, so Dark Horse has a run a disclaimer on every issue assuring people that it's a religious thing for him and not a Nazi symbol.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but coming out of the theater I suddenly felt like playing Max Payne or Max Payne 2 again.

As for the film itself, I loved it. The visual style, inner speech, acting and music worked really well together.

Also I finally got to see the Revenge of the Sith trailer on-screen.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Unfortunately the Nazis appropriated the Buddhist swastika; on the Nazi's the legs point in the opposite direction. So sadly any time a Buddhist swastika is seen the majority of people are confused.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, the shot of Jack falling to ground head-first (towards the camera) with a swastika in his right buttcheek just struck me funny.

I'm damn glad I didn't watch the Best Buy Sin City promo DVD before seeing the film first because it probably showed more than I'd want to see, but afterwards, it makes for a nice tasty treat, especially the "Making of" vignette.

Also, I chuckled when Frank Miller showed up as the priest in the confessional, and meets a violent end.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw the film again, and finally noticed that short scene where Hartigan shows up at Kaddie's looking for Nancy, and asks Shellie if she knows where he can find Nancy Callahan. Both actors are composited together, and it's only if you're looking for it that the compositing is apparent (due to Brittany Murphy's comment about not ever meeting Bruce Willis during the shooting of the film, and only meeting him in the flesh at th film's premiere). Hartigan's lighting has a slight blue-ish tone to it, and that's what tips you off of the compositing of Shellie in the scene.

BTW, here's a page where someone did a comparison of scenes from the comic books and from the film:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I saw this yesterday, and am very pleased. This is one of the few movies in a long time that lived up to my high expectations.

some thoughts:

-I had no problem at all in the pacing of the film, I actually found that it raced in places, as opposed to slowing down. The novels delibratly spread out a lot of action, as oposed to the film that just roared out of the gate.

-Loved the naration. Miller has never attempted realism in the novels, but an over top romantism that just oozes out of this film ,including the dialog. This film reeked of the underlying obsession that the books had, as well as the stories and protaganists that live in them. This obsession is what gives it the great film noir on steroids feel that it has.

- Surprised that the end of the "Hard Goodbye" segment didn't utilize the effect of a negative image when the switch was thrown! It was such a cinematic moment on the books, I thought for sure it would be in this, seeing how slavish they were on everything else. Anyone know if they tried it and it just didn't work due to the black and white with grey tones, as opposed to the hard B&W in the books?

Loved the film, I think it's Rodriguez's best film, and can't wait to see the DVD with these stories complete and fleshed out.

Mike.P

Second Unit

Funny you should say that, before I went to see it on Friday, I was trying to describe what it was like to my friend, who has never watched any noir or read any of the novels.

I basically said "Remember how Max Payne was? It's sort of like that style, I guess".

Guess I wasn't alone on this thought!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Personally, I loved it. This was some great stuff. I kinda understand Robert's beefs, since the Marv stuff is some of the best stuff in the film, but I think it is all good.

I took the wife and almost regretted it. It is a bit too hard core for her tastes. To her credit, she did sit through the whole thing, and she did think it was pretty good, getting around the ultra violence.

If you are someone who can't handle people getting dismembered and dying in various disgusting ways, this isn't the film for you.

Jason

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"swastikas are Buddhist symbols"

In the old Shaw Bros Shaolin films, they could be seen as designs on the brick on the temple walls.

Glad to hear the scene when Marv goes home for his gun will be on the DVD :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This is a film made for CAPAlert (thanks to CHUD for the heads up). Here's their review. I don't mean to tease them, but their review is blindingly funny :D

Some quotes:
Yeah, pretty much :D

Final Score (just like Blutarsky):

They were surprisingly calm about it, so kudos to them. I love the quotes though.

Good stuff,
Chuck

P.S. Plenty of viewers are new to Sin City through the film. Whether you liked it or loved it, the books are better. I loved the film, wholeheartedly. but man, it reminded me of how good the books are. Even the bad ones are pretty good, and the good ones are great!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's classic, Chuck. I was wondering what the CAP people would have to say about it a couple of days ago. I also agree with you on the books vs. the movies. Like Hellboy, the movie is a great entry into the books. I suggest that if you like the film, you should definitely go out and get the new printings of the books.

:D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A quote overheard by a friend of mine at a movie theater about Sin City:

"What a jolly romp through Victorian England."

:D

Jason

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'm not overly familiar with the original graphic novels (read the first one years and years ago) and I'm hoping someone in the know can clarify this for me-

On another forum I saw a mention that Clive Owen's Dwight is the Josh Harnett character post surgery (the movie did mention he had reconstructive surgery). If this is the case, though, wouldn't the ending of the movie with Harnett and the Gilmore Girl violate this continuity?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Loved it. The Hard Goodbye stole the movie.

Only thing I had a problem was, in TYB they kept mentioning how bad the Bastard smelled, yet he hid in the back seat of Hartigans and Nancy's car.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Bruce does say--I think in voiceover--that "the smell followed us all the way home" or something like that, right when they make that trip to his place, which accounts for that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hartigan had YB's blood on his fingers, and he thought that was the stench he was smelling while driving the car to the motel.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

No, that's not correct. Before he got his new face (in A Dame to Kill For), Dwight was a classic "menacing bald-headed figure". He didn't look anything like Hartnett's character. Nor, for that matter, was Dwight a hitman. I've read some reviews that referred to him as a serial killer (?!) but he was actually a lowlife private detective who made his living photographing cheating husbands and such.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I've heard of Sin City years ago, but I never got around to picking up any of the books. I think Matt's quote accurately sums up my situation perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks