What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: Dead Man's Chest Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
why not just make a movie named Jack Sparrow? the rest seems to be excess baggage =).

seriously, i never got people's fascination w/him.

anyway, saw this a few weeks ago. it was OK, not terrible. semi-entertaining. dunno why there's pages+pages devoted to what amounts to popcorn flicks.

i wonder what will happen next year... spiderman3 vs. POTC 3.... very interesting battle.

PS the bit with keria knightly vying for attention on the beaches of caribbean sea was very immature and very amatuer acting. it was... just.. uncomfortable and plain out BAD for a professionally done film. anyone else notice this besides the audience i was in?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, even though I didn't really like this movie, it is obviously a huge hit. In it 3rd week it has already passed 300 million. Does anyone think that it has a chance to pull in Titanic numbers?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think 400 mill is in the bag, but even though the rest of the summer season doesn't feature any serious challengers, I think a Titanic-like run is very unlikely. Like George Lucas said in "The Beginning": "It's one of those things, no one's gonna beat it". Titanic has the kind of all-encompassing appeal that action flicks lack. It hit the right chord at the right time. It's The Beatles of film, not in quality (sorry, I'm only a casual fan of the film), but definitely in its ability to reach across demographics.

Would love it if it happened (in the battle of Jacks, Sparrow beats Dawson :D), but if Titanic's ever unseated, it'll happen at the hands of a film we won't see coming, like when Star Wars appeared out of nowhere in 1977. Or like when Titanic itself overcame the "bomb" rumors and surprised absolutely everyone.

Incidentally, does anyone else think Kate Winslet would have made an awesome Elizabeth?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Maybe it's been discussed, but at the end of the film, does Will suspect that Elizabeth killed Jack or does he think she was cheating on him with Jack(which I figured but didn't really see discussed much)?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think he decided she was cheating, and that her distraught state was due solely to grief at Jack's death and not guilt.

ChrysMathison

Auditioning
Real Name
ChrysMathison
did anyone else that heart shaped locket in Tia Dalma's place was the same as the one on davy's organ while he was playing it, and that played a song when Will stole the key, and happens to be the same heart carving on the dead man's chest as well? Coincidence? wanna see what others think of this theory!

ChrysMathison

Auditioning
Real Name
ChrysMathison
oh on emore thing, i am going to see this for the 3rd time tomorrow... see if i missed anything. Anyone have any suggestions for certain things to look for? i have seen it twice so now i can really pick it apart ya know?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ricardo, I like Keira Knightley in the role, but Kate Winslet would have been devastating. But then, she always is. Keira is a better foil for Orlando, who I like. But he's rather limited, and she'd act him straight off the screen.

Ricardo is correct. What beats Titanic, you won't see coming. I'll show a graphic in the BO thread illustrating TPM (a huge summer blockbuster) vs. Titanic.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I noticed it. It reminded me of Natalie Portman's infamous romp in the sand in AOTC...except Portman was more believable.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Ricardo's right--when Elizabeth kisses Jack before tying to the mast, there's a shot from Will's POV where he sees them kissing, but he doesn't see what's really going on. I liked how they set up the conflict between them at the end there: he thinks she really prefers Jack and is sad at his apparent demise, while she's sad because of her guilt but can't explain that to Will.

As for the romp in the sand bit--are you guys specifically referring to where she pretends to faint? I thought the point was that Elizabeth really is "acting," and that the guys won't stop their fight because she's done it so unconvincingly. Seemed pretty funny to me.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i thought it was unprofessional. it just gave me the willies to see the film go into that direction.

ChrysMathison

Auditioning
Real Name
ChrysMathison
well i just saw it again for the 3rd time.. and the lockets were definately the same. And when Tia is talking about the woman that broke Davy's heart she was talking her up ALOT. Just the way she spoke about "her" gave me the vibe she was talking about herself.. She has been involved for a long time too. She is the one that gave Jack the compass back in the day, gave him whereabouts of the Flying dutchman, brought back Barbosa, it sedems as though she i shelping keep tabs, or track down herself Davy Jones maybe? I am almost 100% sure she is the women that broke his heart after seeing it, but what role she will play in this next film is a good question..??

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
PS i was dragged into seeing this movie again by my friends last night. i can confirm the locket is the same.

one thing i noticed during my 2nd viewing, the surround work on POTC2 is extremely well done. the jungle scenes in canibal land had many jungle noises in the rear right and left panning back and forth. it's a very active mix. anyone else noticed?

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
As for the fainting on the beach--after re-viewing the first movie, you might remember that Elizabeth "faints" quite a few times to divert attention. (Remember Jack's hanging scene in the end?)

On second viewing of DMC, did anyone else get the impression that after a while for Elizabeth, when she looked in the compass, it pointed to Jack? She was frustrated with it after they got underway after Tortuga...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it wasn't the faint itself, it's how it was done. it's been a while since i've seen the 1st, but it flowed better. the 2nd one, even after 2nd viewing just digusts me when it gets to that scene and my friends agreed. it was terrible, a lowpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks