What's new

*** Official PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: Dead Man's Chest Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
But I would note that in the very same scene as the one where she made her comment, Jack also made a comment about Elizabeth making a choice. And then, immediately after Jack proves Elizabeth right, Elizabeth turns around and proves Jack right.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if anybody picked up on this at all, but Jack wasn't willing to give up Will that easily to Davey Jones. Remember, the first thing he says after Davey tells him he needs to harvest 100 souls is, "Alright, just hand back Will, and we'll be on our way."

Instead, Davey keeps Will in "good faith" payment. So it's not so clear cut that Jack is a total asshole who doesn't care about others.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think Jack's plan was to find the heart and then free Will as part of the bargain. Of course, since Jack didn't know the key was on Jones himself, that would have proven to be just about impossible without Will's own plan. But still, I don't think he was REALLY selling Will out for good.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't think the film allows any doubt of that. In his three days to find souls, he finds 4 (in a comedic scene). His focus is on finding the bargaining chip...the heart. With that, he intends to absolve his debt, get Will back, and maybe even get Bootstrap freed. His focus is never on selling out 100 souls to save his own (would he???)...it's on renegotiation of the "deal". Jack's biggest strength is that people assume he'll do anything to save his skin...and he will. But their definition of anything is anything simple or selfish. Jack's smart enough to go beyond that.

That said, the film isn't terribly clear about all of this. But it's there :)

Any word on an Art of... book?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Did anyone notice the scene in Tortuga where the Mayor is being dunked (a nod to the ride of course) is actually a deleted scene from the first film?

On the second veiwing I took in Monday I noticed something. When they first go see Voodoo Lady and offer her the Monkey, you actually see Barbossa's Boots as if he is lying down on a bet or something and the Monkey crawls towards him out of camera.

I loved the movie. I saw it Saturday the 8th during my first Day Ever in Walt Disney World. Wonderful movie to start me and my girlfriend's vacation. The next day at the park we rode the ride with the new additions.

Oh, and I'm engaged now. :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I ran to the restroom in the middle and missed why the compass worked for Elizabeth and not Jack, explain please! Thanks

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The compass is a magical device that shows the holder the way to the thing that he/she most desires. Jack gave the compass to Elizabeth after telling her the only way to get Will back would be to find the chest. Since she wanted to save Will more than anything, her utmost desire was to find the chest.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Congrats, Adam :)

Got viewing #2 in today. No longer so convinced of Jack's overall plan after handing Will over to Jones. He'd already told William the key was on Jones himself (I'd missed that the first time around), so if he really expected to see Will again, it all depended on Will's sneakiness, which, as far as Jack had seen in their previous adventure, wasn't his strong suit.

Dug the cannibal sequence even more this time. No way would I cut it from the film. Sure, it's a detour from the main plot, but it's comedy gold. The audience I saw it with (largely children) were rolling in the aisles.

Also appreciated the team-up of Elizabeth with Pintel and Ragetti. Not only as the perfect illustration of how often the characters in this series switch allegiances with no hard feelings afterwards, but also because it gave P&R the chance to show their skills with the sword. I mean, they're excellent comic relief, but at some point one wonders why Jack (or the even less tolerant Barbossa) would keep them around for years if all they're good for is making fools of themselves. "Sword!"

After watching the film knowing Barbossa would return, it's amazing how obvious his presence is in Tia Dalma's house. Jack the monkey standing at the foot of his bed was right there in the audience's faces.

Jack's last stand was even more affecting the second time. Everything, from the almost admiring smile he gives Elizabeth as he calls her a pirate, to his typical smirking defiance in the face of certain death. "'ello, beastie!"

I was glad to see Barbossa's return took people by surprise again. Lots of talk about that on the way out. "Was that really Barbossa??" and such. Thank goodness marketing didn't give it away.

All in all, it's The Empire Strikes back in the 18th century. Man, I love this movie.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I found this to be disappointing

Biggest laugh for me was watching Sparrow run across the beach from the natives. Found that really amusing. The way he was running,he looked like something right out of a cartoon

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw it.

Totally nonplussed. To the point where I don't actually CARE what happens in the third.

This movie remembered to have FUN (and not just PLAYACT at having fun in a big hurry) all of maybe 3 times total. The rest of the time, it just felt like an infernal slog. Jack was unlikable, Elizabeth as well--hell, I felt more for NORRINGTON in this film than I did for either Will OR Bootstrap Bill.

I dunno. Maybe a second viewing will change the opinion, but for all the perpetual motion going on, this movie, if I could describe it in one word, felt "Inert."

ChrysMathison

Auditioning
Real Name
ChrysMathison
i am excited i just joined this website, and i have wanted to discuss this movie with anyone at all. You guys all seem like the best to do it haha. now I get to comment. ha i'm psyched.
I really enjoyed this movie. Ya the cliffhanger blows at the end, but think about it, it's very original. they were prob trying to steer away from having people walk out of this one saying "ya saw it coming" Cuz i doubt many can claim they did with this ending. Very original i thought...for this series anyways..

but ok first off, the Kraken DOES hunt the black spot. I saw it for the 2nd time tonight and in his meeting with bootstrap, jack is told that the hungry beast hunts anything with the mark. He is ALSO able to be called. It's not a question of one or the other, Davy can call him and send him hunting both.

Alot of people think jack wants the heart to bargain to call off the Kraken, but i think there has GOT to be more to it. With Jack Sparrow, there always is doesnt it seem? Something else he wants to use it for.. Not sure what though...
espeically because he was looking for the key to the chest before he even met with Bill and knew he NEEDED it to call of the Kraken. Unless he just knew his time was up, that is why... but i still think there is more.

one thing that upset me, was that how did davy not see them rowing away as the Pearl went down with Jack? Same with Jack rowing away... Elizabeth SAW him leaving, and realizes they will have to defeat the kraken without him, but then 5 minutes later chains him to the pearl saying it's after him not the boat... makes no sense to me ya know?
another thing about her, is that i think she is more clever than most give her credit for. I think she plays minds games with jack, by saying what she did, she made him think. (about him doing something nobel and good) IF he did that, he would be rewarded. is that maybe why he really came back... maybe she just planned on screwing him to save her and Will from the start of that conversation maybe? Reeled the great jack sparrow right in perhaps?

to those who said the trading company is just doing what it needs to is totally bogus. They make it a point in the movie to show how corrupt it is. Saying Loyalty is no longer the currency of the relm, but that CURRENCY is the currency of the relm. Bennet says that i believe. Which, i think makes them the number one bad guy in POTC3. They will all have to team up in one way or another to take bennet and his corporation down. (Just a theory)

To those saying JAck may be the bad guy, is bogus. he has always seemed like it some way or another, but does he not always have another plan in mind? Keeping himself and all the "good guys" in tact? He still has things in mind... he knows what is gunna happen.

Whoever said this is just a long trailer nailed it... good call.

k one last thing ha, i think the Tia is the gal that broke Davy's heart theory is right on. Or she was involved somehow... The locket in her hut, is the same locket as the one on Davy's Organ while he plays it.. anyone notice that? EXACT same.. I'd like to hear some feedback on my thoughts!! thanks.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I love Jack, but his code of ethics doesn't extend as far as "keep everyone safe". He avoids violence against innocents, certainly, but saving his own neck is always foremost in his mind. That seems to be changing by the end of Dead Man's Chest, but "sacrifice" wasn't a word he'd been very familiar with up until that moment.

Good call on the locket, I'll have to look more closely next time I see the film. The poor contrast in the theater keeps me from making out too much detail.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I finally this on Saturday. I got a really strong Back to the Future 2 vibe from it: it's got a lot of good stuff, but the tone is a bit screwy and the plotting is too convoluted and inefficient, not to mention the cliffhanger ending and the fact that they shot the third movie at the same time :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Chrys, there's some nice pics at http://wherestherum.com/spoilerpictures.htm. Most are for DMC; but there's a few that are definitely from the next film, including

-Jack dressed in Asian pirate garb

-Chow Yun Fat showing off his "pirate" teeth.

-Many Asian extras with appropriate costumes.

-Johnny Depp climbing aboard a ship, and (apparently, the detail's not good enough), talking to Geoffrey Rush. The Asian extras around them suggest this takes place in the third film, and that it's not merely an outtake from the first film.

ChrysMathison

Auditioning
Real Name
ChrysMathison
wow awesome. I love spoilers so thanks. haha I hope they don't toally bottom out and bomb on the 3rd film. I wonder if they will continue after that. I know depp said he would love to do more, but i wonder if it wouldn't be overkill if they did too many..? I'd love to get a hold of a script from the 3rd movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks