What's new

Official Panasonic DVD-S97 Specs (Faroudja is back!) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
quote:It may also be possible that just because the unit doesn't have an Open/Close button on the remote that it still may have that feature if you can find out the descrete code for it to program into a universal remote or use another Panasonic remote that has it to Learn the code to a learning remote.

It has already been confirmed by someone doing extensive testing of the S97 on another forum that the discrete open/close code works with this player -- he was able to use the remote from another Panny player to open the drawer.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Scott
thumbsup.gif

matt-f

Second Unit
Unless a person doesn't have don't have natrually oily hands, then finger prints wouldn't be an issue on silver chrome. In most cases, the finger prints are visible because of this.

Non-chrome, nothing to worry about.
------
Scott, that someone is Paul from AVS!! Seems like the same tradition that Panasonic uses the same codes for all the players to use. That why I use my RP91 remotes for several models of Panny which I own.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Matt, yes, Paul has been doing a fine job testing out the S97 on AVS. And I see he's chimed in on this thread, too. Terrific job on your testing, Paul. I've been reading it with great interest.
thumbsup.gif

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone,

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words! Maybe the AVS FAQ thread is a bit much but I've been waiting for this player since the introduction at CES. Just wanted to get as many questions answered as quickly as possible and have some fun.

Hopefully, any Panasonic remote with tray open/close is going to work. The remote from the Panasonic LCD TV was able to open and close the tray.

As with all my equipment I want to try to keep it looking as new as possible. Repeated contact with fingers will, inevitably cause wear. The first sign will be an increasingly shiny look on the buttons where they were repeatedly pressed. After time the paint will wear or begin to deteriorate by skin oils.

As I look at my keyboard that is only slightly over a year old, certain keys and a spot on the space bar is getting "shiny" -- it used to be matte.

The AVS is fairly busy but if you have any questions ask away!

LewB

Screenwriter
I have access to the Panasonic Employee Purchase web page thanks to a deal with my employer (IBM).

This puppy just popped up on their employee site as available to be ordered. The availability checker said it would ship in 1 business day
thumbsup.gif

Order is in
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

matt-f

Second Unit
Let me rephrase it! =)

Does the Employee Purchase webpage also list the player from 2002 like the DVD-RP82, XP30 and XP50?

David Judah

Screenwriter
I got mine a few days ago, but I haven't had alot of time to play with it. Paul has all the technical stuff covered(great job, btw), so I'll just give some of my subjective impressions.

It is replacing an RP-91 going out to a 3 yr. old Mits Diamond set, so I'm not using the upconversion via HDMI, just 480p component.

It definitely has a different overall look than the RP-91 picture-wise. I would describe it, for lack of a better word, as more film-like, much like the Denon players. It has taken some getting used to, since I've had my RP-91 for so long, but I will say that for well done discs it is superior to the previous Panny flagship. Better handling of video material is welcomed, even though it doesn't make up a big part of my collection.

One interesting thing I've noticed is it more readily shows flaws in some discs that I've run through it than the RP-91 did. I'd liken it to some speakers that uncover flaws in the source material more than others. What you get is what's on the disc, warts and all. That can be a mixed blessing, although I'd rather have it err on the side of more faithful reproduction, because the discs we know that were exceptionally done are even better.

I like the smaller remote, as well. Menus are intuitive and easily navigable. The only real problem I'm having is I can't get it to continue at the same point I left off at when I turn off the unit--it always starts back at the beginning. Maybe there is a setting I'm missing, since I haven't had alot of time to tweak it.

All in all, I'm very pleased with its video performance, so the venerable RP-91 is now in the bedroom. In the next couple of days I'll have a chance to run some DVD-A's through it.

DJ

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
quote:I like the smaller remote, as well. Menus are intuitive and easily navigable. The only real problem I'm having is I can't get it to continue at the same point I left off at when I turn off the unit--it always starts back at the beginning. Maybe there is a setting I'm missing, since I haven't had alot of time to tweak it.
If it functions like the remote on the SC-PM39D, you have to press the "Picture Memory" button each time to save your last viewing point. It works fine for me, as long as I remember to press the button before I stop the player.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Thanks, Gary--I figured it was something like that. Too bad it doesn't function like the RP-91 in that respect, but it's nothing too critical.

Just a couple of things to add:

The load time and layer change is much faster than my old Panny.

Also, I don't see the MB some are complaining about. Maybe it is more display dependent.

DJ

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi David,

Thanks for your imput reguarding the S97. You can also use the RP91's remote to use the player too.

I definately will be using my RP91's remote mainly because of the design.

matt

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
David,

I would be interested in other picture quality comparisons between your new S97 and old RP-91. I am in the same situation -- I would only be using it for 480p, too, since my Toshiba 16x9 TV does not have a DVI or HDMI input.

Specifically:

[*]How does the zoom/scaling for non-anamorphic widescreen material compare between the two players?
[*]How does the quality of pillarboxing of 1.33:1 material compare? Paul mentioned there was a degradation of picture quality on the S97, but I'm wondering if it looks worse than the RP-91.
[/list]

If the RP-91 still outperforms the S97 in those two areas, I'll probably wait for a better player, since I'm still a few years away from upgrading my current Toshiba 16x9 CRT display to a DLP set.

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking to replace my current DVD player so I'm becoming more interested in the Panny DVD-S97 that I just may buy it through One Call. However, what are people's experience purchasing from One Call? The other thing is I want to read a few reviews from those who already own it although I know it'll probably be a while. How much of an improvement will I see on my Sony Wega. I currently use a Sony-NS715P.

I'm also wondering what is the street date for the S97 is?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Matt,

I have two remotes now like the RP-91. One from it and the Technics DVD-A10. I actually prefer the 97S remote. It's smaller and less bulky, although it could be problematic in the dark, since there's no big menu button and glow in the dark function buttons.

Scott,

Quality-wise the scaling is about the same going from memory(the RP-91 is already in the bedroom). I ran a few of the non-anamorphic discs I have through it and it is similiar to the RP-91 in the Auto setting. It also gives additional options--preset zooms such as 16:9 Standard, American Vista, and Cinemascope 1 & 2. To round out the added functionality it also gives a manual zoom so you can tailor it to your tastes.

It's the same for 4:3 material. Nothing stood out as worse from what I remember from the RP-91. It handles the material the same way plus you get the presets and manual control that allows customization in small increments.

I would hesitate to say it's better since I didn't A/B them, but from what I remember it's not worse, and with the manual zoom, it gives the 97S the overall edge, IMO.

I've had a chance to run DVE and Avia through it now, plus some more discs from my collection and I'm becoming more impressed with it. As I mentioned, it does have an overall different look than the RP-91, which might take a little getting used to at first, but with the better de-interlacer(most noticeable with video based material), quicker load time & layer change, and more customization options, it's a worthy successor to the RP-91.

I'm still wondering about the macroblocking that some have mentioned. It's not an issue for me at all, and I've been looking for it. I'm curious if it is more a function of the DLP, plasma, or LCD displays than the DVD player itself. Paul, do you have any thoughts on this?

DJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have purchased numerous items through OneCall without any major issues. I even received a call once about a week after a purchase where they were just checking to see if I was satisfied with the equipment. The only downside is they do not have a very liberal return policy (it's for defective equipment only), so make sure this is the device you want before ordering from them. They will not accept a return simply because you do not like the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks