What's new

Official Panasonic DVD-S97 Specs (Faroudja is back!) (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter

No, Shane, I have a 55908(a model year or two before they added DVI), so I'm just using 480p component.

After playing many more discs through it, as I mentioned earlier, I'm even more amazed with the detail of the S97 at 480p. Everything in the transfer comes through. My previous RP-91 really "hid" alot of artifacts by comparison. It has definitely changed my opinion about some tranfers.

Now that I've had some time to tweak it and get used to the different look versus the RP-91, I'm very pleased with it overall.

DJ

matt-f

Second Unit
AntonS,

It's already verified over on AVS that the unit can play DVD+/-RW disks even thou the manaul saids it doesn't.

The manaul also saids no PAL support however, the unit can play it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Any idea whether Panasonic and/or Faroudja are working on a firmware fix for the macroblocking? Between the S97's macrobloacking and the AE700's HDMI cropping and white flashes, Panasonic has its work cut out for having to fix defects or quality control problems. Get on the ball Panasonic! (ok the macroblocking isn't really the fault of Panasonic. Faroudja should be ashamed.)

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any updates on this? New news? Anyone else pick up the S97.

I am due for an upgrade and am considering it ...but I am concerned about the macroblocking issue. I am going to run it on a CRT RPTV (most likely with HDMI) but am hesitant to pull the trigger.

The fact that the firmware on the F-chip can be reprogrammed is very reassuring though.

Why do HDMI cables have to cost $80-$120+ though?

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I just returned mine dude to that with my panny 53 RPTV with HDMI.

HDMI cables are 30 bucks at avcable.com. Get with the program people...

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I got the S97 and no macroblocking on visible from > 1x screen size. I'm using the BENQ8700+ projector (DLP 1280x720) and feeding it a 720P signal through HDMI with a HDMI-DVI-D converter into the projector.

If I stand 3 feet from the screen, I can see some macroblocking artifacts, but they are not visiable from my viewing distance (1.5x)

I haven't done a lot of testing, but I'm thrilled with the player so far.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Massimo,
The HDMI converted to DVI-D sounds great. were you scaling HDCP compliant material to higher than 480p or did the S97S just flip back to 480p as it suggested in the owners manual.

Thanks,
Peter m.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, through the HDMI output, it will upconvert all signals to 720P or 1080i. I don't for sure if the DVDs I was using was HDCP compliant, but the following DVD all scaled to 720p and 1080i (I haven't played around with the player that much ... I'm in the process of moving).

Spiderman Superbit
AVIA
Digital Video Essentials
Shrek 1 & 2
Toy Story
HellBoy Director's Cut
Matrix Revolutions

I'm using the Monster HDMI - DVI converter.

Peter, where in the manual does it say it will not scale HDCP compliant material?

The player will not scale beyond 480p through the component outs.

One quirk with this player that took me a few minutes to figure out ... my video setting never seemed to hold after you turn off the player. I finally realized I needed to save my setting in one of the 3 user settings in the AV Enhancer menu.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Massimo,
I don't own the player but HDCP is for digital connections such as DVI and HDMI. It is meant to protect the content of copy protected dvds. I'm going to assume that Spiderman "SuperBit" is copy protected. I have an SDI Modded panny rp82 which I use with the HOLO3D PCI card vid scaler, but my connection from my vid card is component (analog) so HDCP does not come in to play.

While reading the owners manual of your player I noticed something that said if the player cannot scale, (for watever reason) which could be a bad dvd-r or a copy protected disc, The Player, would automatically dnrez to 480p. Since I don't have the player, I don't know if you get a warning or if there's anything in the window of the player that tells you what rez your sending out.

Both our Panny's have this re-master feature which allows you to uprez a cd from 44.1 to 88.2. It also has a note that says that you should check your processor because even though it may be capable of 96 it might not do 88.2.

I have a Denon 5800 which I had upgraded to 95% 5803 audio status. When I got the list of upgrades it showed things like DTS 6.1 Matrix and DISCRETE (which is on The Haunting DTS and Motown DTS and only showed up after the upgrade) so then I put a cd in the tray and turned on re-master and the face of the Denon flashed PCM 88.2, otherwise I would have said it sounds better but wouldn't know why. If I hadn't had the upgrade it would have done and showed nothing.

I guess what I'm asking is, "Has the placebo effect taken hold?" because if Panny is following the rules Spiderman should not scale past 480p through HDMI. The manual also says component is automatically 480p, so it only scales from HDMI. The question is does it scale everything.

If it doesn't and the store sold it to you under false pretenses, or more likely without full disclosure, even though its a great player regardless, you have a case for maybee a bigger discount.

Peter m.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

The player definitely upscales to 720p and 1080i on all the DVD I've tried.

There is status for the HDMI output in the Player's menu which indicates what you're sending your monitor.

On my projector, it also indicates 720p or 1080i (which-ever I'm feeding it).

That section of the manual you're referring is a feature of the player if you send a signal to your monitor that it cannot resolve. For example, if your TV/projector only accepts 720p and not 1080i, it will not scale to that resolution.

720p is definitly better than 480p on my projector (HD2+ DLP chip) with this player (actually all my other players, Panasonic DVD RP82, Toshiba SD1600 portable player, and Toshiba SD1600). The resolution patterns on AVIA and Digital VE are a lot cleaner and the picture just has more depth.

I think I should be o.k. with the audio upscalling, but I'll have to check once my HT get's installed next week. I'm using the Anthem AVM30 as my pre/pro. I'll be doing some critical listening if I like the Panny doing the re-mastering, the Anthem or none.

For those wanting to read up on the player there is a HUGE thread over at AVS forums and a much better review than I can write:

AVS forum DVD-s97 Thread

As I said, I haven't watched a lot of movies through the player yet, so I don't know if it's doing the 3:2 pulldown correctly. Considering it using the Faroudja to do the de-interlacing I think it's in good company. We'll have to wait on the Secrets review for the final word.

Cheers!
Mass

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mass,
If your panny is scaling copy protected dvd's to 720p through HDMI, I'm befuddeled but at the same time happy for you and anyone who has this player.

My Tosh 65h80 only has component in so I use an SDI modified RP82 through the HOLO3D PCI computer card scaler from Immersive which uses my ATI AIW8500dv video card with the component dongle and can scale any out board equipment like vcr/cble/sat/dvd/lsr dsc as long as its 480i, to any rez a particular display can handel.

In any case I guess we/ve found our respective scaling answers until HD-DVD comes out.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Peter m.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I guess the big question mark in my head has to do with HDCP compliant/in/outputs from digital sources. I thought that the rule was that HDCP would pass the digital signal through but ignore any scaling attempts past 480p when it came to copy protected material and just maintain a 720 X 480p res or show a no you don't screen or you would see a black screen.

Your the one seeing the picture and your equipment is telling you it's 720p or 1080i so what do I know but it's still really puzzelling.

Peter M.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Very many, including at Secrets of Home Theater, but Panny is apparently replacing this model with the S77 which will hopefully correct some of the problems of the S97 (like the macroblocking). The latest firmware updates to the S97 have apparently improved it's performance in these areas, but I think it might be wise to wait-and-see about the S77.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The 77 is not replacing the 97. The 97 will remain in the current lineup. The 97 is a great player and the latest firmware version 540 has greatly reduced the macroblocking, but I do still see some occasionally.

I find it to be an equal player to the RP82, and I myself would consider it to be better if they can completely remove the macroblocking.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Which is exactly what we're hoping the S77 will do (and perhaps deal with some of the tint issues with the upconverted HDMI signal). As it seems this player is scheduled to street at the end of this month/next month, it seems prudent to me to adopt a wait-and-see posture. It's a curious development, this "new" model that seems so similar to one that was only introduced a very short time ago... very curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks