What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why is the Keynote video link in the first post directing me to an advertisement for "The Wild Bunch" BRD on Amazon? I want to find out what they mean by "retina display".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, that was an interesting video. I had to jump ahead and get past all the boring garbage at the beginning. I mean, I couldn't care less about their boutique store openings or how many Iphones and Ipads they have sold. All I wanted to find out was what was new in their product line. One thing I can honestly say, the only thing Apple does better than name everything I(new name here) is marketing. By the time the video was finished I wanted one, even though about all I would do with it is web surf and probably not much of that, because data charges on cell phone networks are brutally expensive in Canada. It certainly wouldn't do much for me workwise, unless it could run AB controllogix, RSView32 or RSview visual studio, which I highly doubt it can,
It would be a cool toy to own though; however, it still doesn't have enough storage at 64GB and a 5 megapixel camera seems kind of weak, considering how they kept blowing their horn about the screen resolution.

MODIA

Auditioning
Real Name
Lyle Hawkins
Awesome information posted. We are becoming an Apple Reseller this week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What happened to Modia. I was just about to welcome him to the forum.
:P

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Reviews are out:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/3rd-generation-ipad-reviews-retina-display-looks-great-and-lte-speeds-impressive/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More reviews:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/14/2870533/ipad-review
http://allthingsd.com/20120314/new-ipad-a-million-more-pixels-than-hdtv/
http://daringfireball.net/2012/03/ipad_3
http://www.macworld.com/article/1165849/review_the_third_generation_ipad.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/technology/personaltech/the-new-ipad-is-much-the-same-only-better.html
Still waiting for the Gizmodo review =p

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Michael_K_Sr said:
All the whining about the name is laughable...especially the part about it not being a status symbol because it's not called iPad 3 or whatever. The first two generations just were labeled "iPad" on the box and on the units themselves. The so-called "status" comes from people being able to recognize on sight that something is the latest and greatest...which is why so many many crybabies were pissed off when the iPhone 4S came out. Gasp...it looks just like the iPhone 4!! Absurd...
Agreed. I don't need a big glowing "iPad 3" on the back of the device to show off at starbucks. That being said, branding and naming is VERY important. People will buy crappy products just to show off with them, naturally they will want to do the same thing good products.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As I said before with their computer and laptop models, I think just being an Apple product is "status enough" for most people. No one I know has looked at my 2010 Macbook Pro and wondered if it's the 2009, 2010 or 2011 revision. Heck, most people I know with iPhones protect them with a case, most of which obscure the label designation on the back (is it a 4 or 4S?).
Since iPad is, by their own words, their main post-PC world product, it makes sense to simply call it the iPad and it will eventually become so ubiquitous that people won't really care if it's an iPad 3, 4 or 5. With so many regular updates (presumably they'll do it every year) people will settle in to a purchase pattern like they have with the iPhones (i.e. every 2-3 years). I have an iPhone 4 and have never been asked if it's a 4 or 4S, and wouldn't care if someone did ask and "looked down on my older generation phone" because I know by late 2012/early 2013 I'm going to have an iPhone 5.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/120#post_3904855
My wife's 16gb iPad 2 still has 3gb free. She doesn't use it for movies or music.
I'd get a 64gb for myself.
I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just get a 16GB (or maybe 32GB?) for my wife now. She probably won't be using it for movies and music (all that much) either although the kids will inevitably want to borrow it for movies (at least on roadtrips... that is, if using it for driving nav doesn't work out). Would probably consider going for the cheaper 16GB iPad 2 for her, if she wouldn't make use of the improved camera as well -- well, of course, there's also the issue of the better display as well...

If it's specifically for myself, I'd want the largest available (and might be ok sacrificing the mobile data capabilty and improved camera).

Still debating about AT&T vs Verizon. I can apparently get 20% corporate discount for AT&T on the 5GB-and-up plans, which means 5GB for $40, but would I ever prepay for that much though? Still, if I'm going w/ Verizon, I'd be bumping into that level as soon as I need more than 2GB (at their $30 price). OTOH, AT&T's 250MB for $15 doesn't seem to make much sense to me, especially when Verizon offers 1GB for $20, and 1GB may well be all we need (and maybe only for certain months of the year). There's also the matter of signal quality and access speed/reliability (against AT&T for where we tend to be) although that's probably less of an issue for data than for voice -- AT&T also touts tons of free WiFi hotspot access for their customers although seems like Starbucks, which now offers it free for everyone, constitutes a lion's share of that.

And of course, in both regards (for pricing and data speed/accessibilty/reliability), especially w/ 4G/LTE going forward, they may well play flip-flop much more so than w/ voice in the past, so maybe I shouldn't bother to figure out what's likely to happen a year or two from now...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are going to double the size of your apps just going to Retina. Anyone who gets less than 32 is crazy. I would get 128 if it was offered and would consider 256.
And ALL of my media is streamed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ManW_TheUncool said:
/t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/150#post_3907284
You are going to double the size of your apps just going to Retina
So my sincere question is: really? Have we seen this? I wonder if anyone is collecting data on the growth of apps with iOS version or device release.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
DaveF said:
So my sincere question is: really? Have we seen this? I wonder if anyone is collecting data on the growth of apps with iOS version or device release.
I would think that depends on whether the app will be "native" to the new iPad (and scale down for the older iPads, if same build/version). Also, it'll likely depend on exactly how much of the app is purely raw image data.

Outside of games that rely heavily on high quality image data, I would think extremely few of them would come close to doubling in size all that soon unless they come in separate build/versions for the new iPad. For instance, it'd probably be rather cumbersome for such app build/versions to be all that useable on the original iPad me thinks -- many software developers/designers might simply decide to require (or strongly recommend) iPad 2-plus hardware for such apps. So maybe most of them will wait until most of the original iPads have gone out of use in another year or two before doing that, and by then, maybe iPad 4 will also bump upto 2x (or more) the storage to accommodate the extra need as well...

At this point, I'd think the bigger issue in terms of increased storage need would be for folks who start using the built-in camera to shoot 1080P video along w/ possibly gobs of 5MP stills -- the stills alone might not be as big an issue as the videos, but if you're gonna shoot all that much video w/ it, you'd likely add to that w/ a fair amount of stills as well.

Yeah, I don't really think all that much of games on these devices, so games that double in size don't really matter much to me, especially if they decide to offer 2 versions for the 2 different display res. And if they want to market their games/apps to the entire iPad market, not just the 32-64GB iPad 2-plus market, then they'll probably need to keep offering the smaller size, lower res version anyway.

Still, I guess it's best to play it safer (for the useful life of the device) to jump upto the next level of storage, if a given choice is in doubt at all, so I guess I should go for at least 32GB for my wife, especially if there's any thought of using it to shoot some occasional video and stills...

Come to think of it, sounds like maybe Apple is trying to push iCloud in not so many words...

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
USB 2.0 only. What's with that? How much more expensive would supplying a USB 3.0 port have been? 64GB of storage seems to be small considering the increased computing requirements to drive the higher resolution screen. The review I read indicated that apps and operation of this new tablet would be a lot more memory intensive than their older units. Still it is tempting to get one. I'm just not sure whether I can justify 1000 bucks for a web surfing/e-reader tool. The other thing that keeps me back is the fact that Apple seems to be releasing these tablets on a shortened time table which obsoletes a 1000 dollar piece of equipment pretty fast. I expect the next iteration to take care of the storage deficiency.
That Iphoto app did look pretty neat, but then I would probably want to get a DSLR which would be another 600+.
So many toys to buy and so little money. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks