What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From a recent report I read, having 4G access could
very well eat away at those data plans quite quickly.

I have to find the article, but basically it says that
watching a single 1080p streamed movie could wipe
out your data plan in 10 minutes. Faster photo
downloads would also take a toll on the data plan.

So, essentially, with 4G, you will be eating up data
much faster than 3G.

I plan to just use my data plan for simple browsing
and email when at all possible.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ron-

If you got full flow 4G, you could use 2Gb in 3.40 seconds. Roughly.

That's where something needs to sort out on this; when they mention "and you can use it as a full speed LTE Mobile Hotspot" well.. yes.. for not a lot of data, or that extra $10 per gigabyte (AT&T) would kill you quickly.. Actually, if you just download one big game - like that Dungeon one they showed, I'm guessing 1Gb or more based on prior versions.. there goes 1/2 your data plan.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
From a recent report I read, having 4G access could
very well eat away at those data plans quite quickly.
I assume you can toggle on/off the 4G access in favor of a WiFi connection?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Unless you decide to surf the web and/or download much more just because it's faster, I don't see why it should matter whether you're using 4G or 3G.

I'll say this. If I'm paying per GB for the data, I'm glad not to have Flash automatically enabled for web surfing...

RE: the AT&T plan changes, not sure I like their approach at the low end. Will 250MB ever be useful enough? I'm thinking I'd rather pony up the extra $5 for Verizon's 1GB if/when I need it although they only provide 2GB for $30 while AT&T provides 3GB. Do they both offer additional GB for $10 each or do you have to re-up using the same basic plan rates, which cost more for just an additional GB?

_Man_

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Question,
I got my pre order engraved and then decided not to (resale value)
I can go into my order and edit the engraving, but it seems I cannot completely remove it. I tried clearing all the text and using spaces as characters, but it does not seem to work. Anyone know how I can update my order to skip engraving completely?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Steve_Tk said:
What's with this name? The New iPad. Some are calling it iPad 3, others are calling it iPad HD. Branding is huge, names are huge, why call it this?
False premise: the title of this thread is wrong (or misleading with title caps). It's not "New" with a capital N, it's just "new". "New" is not part of the name, it's just an adjective. Look at the big billboard image on apple.com: "The new iPad"; as it is pretty much everywhere else on the site. Some months from now, they may drop the adjective, and then when they release the next one, they'll bring it back.
Branding is the point; that's why they're dropping the number. Now it's simply iPad, like iPod or MacBook. iPhone could very well be next. I posted a plausible theory earlier.
Apple officially/technically calls it "iPad (3rd generation)". That's what it says on the order.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ken, if it makes you feel better, I will change the title of the thread.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As I'm thinking about what I'm going to type, I realize that I'm mostly answering my own question already, but I'll ask it for those who own iPads:
I already own an iPhone 4 and would like to avoid paying yet another monthly bill with AT&T (or Verizon). I will be buying my first iPad with this revision and I'm trying to judge if I'll be disappointed if I buy only the wi-fi version. My rationale for going wi-fi only is this:
I live in Los Angeles which has wi-fi spots all over the place. My workplace does as well. Whenever I travel for work, I usually get wi-fi where I go, paid for by work, and the convention centers also have wi-fi.
I figure it will be similar to what happened when I vacationed in France last year with my iPhone and did not buy a France calling/data plan. I could only use my iPhone where we could find wi-fi (which in France is less than in L.A.) and I was perfectly okay working with those constraints.
Given that, does it seem like a safe bet that I can buy a wi-fi only one and save some cash (which I'll actually use for the 64GB version, whereas I'd have to buy the 16 or 32GB if I choose to have a data plan).
Thanks!

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/60#post_3904502
Also, I decided not to go with the 4G since I can always just generate a WiFi hotspot with my iPhone whenever I need to.
If the new iPad is the same as the iPad 2, by not getting 4G you will also not get a GPS.

Regarding the poor quality maps in iPhoto, apparently Apple is using data from the OpenStreetMap Foundation and not Google. Terrible move IMHO.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/08/apples_new_iphoto_for_ios_uses_openstreetmap_data_in_place_of_google.html

-Keith

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh and regarding the naming convention, I think this is Apple sending the message loud and clear that this is their "post-PC device". They don't number their PCs (Macbook Pro 3? iMac 4?) etc. so why would they number their iPads. I'm sure they'll have internal revision numbers, like if you go to system preferences you'll see Macbook 6,2 or iMac 4,1, but outwardly they're just called Macbook Pro / Air / iMac. Likewise, these will just be known as iPads from here on out, at least that's my guess.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
mattCR said:
I agree.  The name thing is terrible.  People tend to take these as somewhat of a status symbol in a lot of ways.. saying "I have the iPad3" is an instant indicator you have new hotness; saying "I have the new iPad" almost makes it sound as though you're too dumb to remember the name "I don't know which it is, it's the new one.." Because what happens when the next one comes out "the NEWER iPad?"  Then what do they call this one then? I'm in total dislike over the name thing.. but didn't stop me from ordering.
Interesting thing about the naming when you flip over any iPad or iPhone it never says iPad 2 or iPhone 4. It just says iPhone or iPad. They can call the device anything they want or even change its name if they choose because of this.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Carlo Medina said:
As I'm thinking about what I'm going to type, I realize that I'm mostly answering my own question already, but I'll ask it for those who own iPads:
I already own an iPhone 4 and would like to avoid paying yet another monthly bill with AT&T (or Verizon). I will be buying my first iPad with this revision and I'm trying to judge if I'll be disappointed if I buy only the wi-fi version. My rationale for going wi-fi only is this:
I live in Los Angeles which has wi-fi spots all over the place. My workplace does as well. Whenever I travel for work, I usually get wi-fi where I go, paid for by work, and the convention centers also have wi-fi.
I figure it will be similar to what happened when I vacationed in France last year with my iPhone and did not buy a France calling/data plan. I could only use my iPhone where we could find wi-fi (which in France is less than in L.A.) and I was perfectly okay working with those constraints.
Given that, does it seem like a safe bet that I can buy a wi-fi only one and save some cash (which I'll actually use for the 64GB version, whereas I'd have to buy the 16 or 32GB if I choose to have a data plan).
Thanks!
Can't you purchase the one with cellular and just not switch it on until you go on a trip or whatever? I have a atandt iPad2 and I only use the cellular part when I'm traveling abroad. I pay by the month. Shut it off when I'm not using it. Saves money that way.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/90#post_3904644
If the new iPad is the same as the iPad 2, by not getting 4G you will also not get a GPS.

Regarding the poor quality maps in iPhoto, apparently Apple is using data from the OpenStreetMap Foundation and not Google. Terrible move IMHO.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/08/apples_new_iphoto_for_ios_uses_openstreetmap_data_in_place_of_google.html

-Keith

Blarg. OpenStreetMap sucks. Right now there are two mapping systems worth anything.. Google and Bing. MIght as well just commit to one or the other

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
mattCR said:
Blarg. OpenStreetMap sucks. Right now there are two mapping systems worth anything.. Google and Bing. MIght as well just commit to one or the other
So wait. Did iOS 5 get rid of Google Maps already?

_Man_

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
So I have been paying for the 250mb plan with my iPad 1 forever and only exceeded it a few times. I restricted my use to web browsing when not on WiFi but it is nice to know I can get to the internet when I need to. 4G isn't going to change that unless you already exceed it because your streaming or whatever. The only way I would see exceeding it is if I change my use because of the faster data transfers.

Originally Posted by mattCR /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/90#post_3904613
250Mb at 4G speed is 30 seconds worth of data. Come on, isn't that enough for everyone?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How much data does the iPad burn up using it as a GPS device?
Was thinking of using TomTom or Navigon for iPad.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/90#post_3904727
How much data does the iPad burn up using it as a GPS device?
Was thinking of using TomTom or Navigon for iPad.
As far as I know, that would be dependent on what the nav app was doing. In other words, an app could use the GPS without using any data at all. I seem to recall reading about the TomTom and that only its "live" services, such as traffic, need data and it wasn't a large amount.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread