What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got to an Apple store yesterday, and played with the new iPad for the first time.

My first reactions were:
* Gorgeous screen, as I expected. Big improvement over the iPad 2, which I never cared for.
* Still prefer the Kindle as an ebook reader due to weight. But this screen is highly readable.
* The back was noticeably warm to the touch (not hot...)
* Not as zippy as I expected. Noticed some sluggishness to switching apps, and sliding around the home screens.

Spent a few minutes with iPhoto. I understand the critiques of it. It's not an obvious app. But I like it.

Probably get one after the house is sold this Spring. I just need to check that some work stuff works on my wife's iPad.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
TomTom app works very well on my wife's new iPad. Didn't get around to choosing a mount for it, but since someone's usually in the passenger-side front seat, especially for our current trip, we're able to make do by sitting it (w/ its SmartCover in stand position) on the front, slide-out cupholder of our minivan (w/ sporadic help from the front passenger).
Driver can't really see it w/out looking down toward the cupholder area, but that's usually not a problem w/ the generally solid voice directions.
Interestingly, I find that it's easier to get a consistently useable, if not full strength, (Verizon) LTE signal here in the DC metro area than their regular 3G signal -- 3G wavers all over the place here, especially where our hotel's located in Crystal City. Guess that's probably because there's not nearly as much contention for LTE signal as for regular 3G. Signal for both can be spotty down underground in the Metro, but at least you can a signal (most times) vs none at all in NYC subways (except in rare locations).
_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Dropped by for a quick bite at lunchtime before making our final run thru town and heading back home.
Very quiet for workday lunch hour, but I guess that's the norm outside DC itself. And other than a few references here and there, particularly out front, doesn't really live upto the name for me. Maybe it's a lot different in the evening (or if I'm into meads)?
Liked the chilli on fettucini though -- too spicy for our kids, but just right for my wife and I.
_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They don't really push it, it's not meant to be a fan destination, it's just a nice little restaurant and one of my faves for a 'mom and pop' type place, albeit a fancier one. They have good selection of stuff on tap and a nice variety of tasty meals. Can't ask for more than that!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My house is sold () so I was looking at new iPads on Amazon...but Amazon doesn't have any iPads for sale. In fact, caveat emptor if you shop Amazon, since iPads are listed at inflated prices from third-party vendors.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Played with one for the first time yesterday while SO was in some store. It was warm, not hot, but warm. I'm sure if I was not used to the iPad2 then I wouldn't notice, and I wouldn't not buy it because of that.
The new screen was great. I use my iPad as my ereader and it was a huge difference. I'm going to wait till iPad 4 or 5 to upgrade. Our next computer will be the iMac. So sick of PCs. After using a product that annoys me for years and years, it seems it might be time to try a Mac.
And I used HTF on my iPad all the time, works fine. I would never say don't get an iPad because HTF is a quirky forum. HTF doesn't work well on my PC at work.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/270#post_3918619
My house is sold () so I was looking at new iPads on Amazon...but Amazon doesn't have any iPads for sale. In fact, caveat emptor if you shop Amazon, since iPads are listed at inflated prices from third-party vendors.

Congrats! You should definitely reward yourself w/ a new iPad.

Yeah, I was wondering about the Amazon thing when you mentioned using Amazon GCs(?) earlier.

If you still have your Discover Card, you can get 5% cashback thru their ShopDiscover portal at the online Apple Store (last I checked).

I may opt to swap the eventual iPhone 5 w/ my wife for her new iPad this summer although I'm still loathed to be tied to a $30/month data plan w/ Verizon indefinitely -- I'm not too sure, but it seems like they might've cut off corporate discounts for data plans now.

If I don't do that, I might consider grabbing a cheap RIM Playbook to tether (via BT) to my company BB Tour and see how that goes...

_Man_

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I picked up a new iPad last week, 64gig AT&T. The Retina Display is fantastic...I've had nary a problem with it unlike people on another site who have been returning them for yellow and green tints on the screens. It is also a powerhouse...the free Yellow Submarine interactive iBook that choked on my iPad 1 ran without a glitch on the new iPad. This is a marked improvement over the iPad 1!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, Amazon does sell iPads, but it is third party resellers at inflated prices (but you already said that).
The best place to buy an iPad is through Apple!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was looking to Amazon specifically because I have Amazon gift cards and I no longer have an Apple discount.

(And the iPad sellers on Amazon are really skeezy)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm having a little shopping crisis: which iPad to buy? I can get one -- my wife tells me ;) -- but I'm torn over what I want and cost because all my money is about to go into the crazy house pricing here in NOVA.

I want the $829 top-shelf model (64 GB, Verizon 4G). But I probably should reduce the cost.

To cut $200 off the price I've got three basic options:
* 16GB 4G
* 32GB Wifi-only
* Rob bank. Buy what I want.

This would mostly be my new home computer; primarily living-room use on wifi. But there will be some business travel, so maybe some Airport and Hotel use. I'm not really sure what I'll do with it. At home, web surfing. On travel, watch some TV or Movies, and web surfing.

Thoughts?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got one day business trip this week, and thought it might be nice to have an iPad to take with me. Walked into BestBuy this evening and asked if they had any iPads, and walked out with a 32 GB iPad wifi black :)

I wanted to hit the $600 mark, and felt I needed storage over infrequent cell 4G. Getting it setup right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks