What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Sam Posten said:
That's not empirically true Michael, be careful. There ARE GPS tools that stream the maps to you and in those cases the answer is a resounding and expensive yes.
True. But for a full featured GPS app like TomTom that includes the maps, you'll only be using data for Google searches and the traffic service.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/240#post_3910564

Lastly, I am concerned about data. Will I have to subscribe to
a data plan to use the GPS and how much will it use?
I've got the 200 MB data plan and use TomTom regularly, including with Google Searches. Maybe traffic uses a bit? I'd be surprised if it was significant.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5694/tested-battery-life-on-the-new-ipad

A teaser of their coming review

Hot on the heels of our Retina Display analysis we have some more data for you: battery life of the new iPad. The chart above is our revamped web browser battery life test that we introduced in Part 2 of our Eee Pad Transformer Prime review. Despite the huge increase in battery capacity, battery life seems to be a bit lower than the iPad 2. The drop isn't huge but it does echo what we've seen in our subjective testing: the new iPad doesn't appear to last as long as the old one.

The drop on LTE is in line with what Apple claims you should expect: about an hour less than on WiFi.

Now for the killer. If you have an iPad on Verizon's LTE network and use it as a personal hotspot (not currently possible on the AT&T version), it will last you roughly 25.3 hours on a single charge. Obviously that's with the display turned off, but with a 42.5Wh battery driving Qualcomm's MDM9600 you get tons of life out of the new iPad as a personal hotspot.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess their priority was to make sure the iPad can be used as an LTE mobile hotspot that consumes my data plan budget for the next 20 years on just one full battery charge.

_Man_

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Question about using the iCloud to sync Apps and other media between devices.
I have the new iPad and an iPod touch. Since I got the iPad I have been purchasing some new apps. Supposedly these are supposed to automatically wirelessly sync with your other devices, but I can't seem to get it to work (and I do have the latest software updates for iTunes and the iPod). I know that for the iPod the instructions are that it needs to be connected to a power source, so I am plugging it into the wall. But, I can't seem to get anything to sync because the iPod indicates that my PC needs to be "available". The Sync Now option is grayed out because of this. Anyone know why this wouldn't work? My PC is on and connected to my wireless network as is my iPod

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
WillG said:
I have the new iPad and an iPod touch. Since I got the iPad I have been purchasing some new apps. Supposedly these are supposed to automatically wirelessly sync with your other devices, but I can't seem to get it to work (and I do have the latest software updates for iTunes and the iPod). I know that for the iPod the instructions are that it needs to be connected to a power source, so I am plugging it into the wall. But, I can't seem to get anything to sync because the iPod indicates that my PC needs to be "available". The Sync Now option is grayed out because of this. Anyone know why this wouldn't work? My PC is on and connected to my wireless network as is my iPod
Go to Settings/Store and make sure Automatic Downloads is enabled on both devices.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are you trying to do basic wireless sync or actual iCloud sync?

I've tried wireless sync w/ my PC and seems like I actually need to have iTunes running on the PC for the wireless sync to work. Unlike hardwire connection, iTunes does not start up automatically (to initiate sync) at least in my case.

Anyway, since I have an ancient WiFi router, wireless sync is much slower than I can bear -- actually, I suspect it's slow for more than just that reason. And having to leave iTunes running for it to work makes it kinda pointless as I'd never want to leave that resource hog running unless I need to use it (to update my library, explicitly do a sync, etc.) and then exit as soon as I'm done.

And then, I'm not so sure how much I can trust the wireless sync working behind the scenes while the iPad's being used -- it probably works ok, but very slowly, and I wonder if things may temporarily disappear while the iPad's in use and synching, depending on what changed.

No idea about iCloud sync though...

_Man_

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
WillG said:
"Sync" might be the wrong word for what iCloud does. There's Automatic Downloads for Music, Apps, and Books purchased in the store: buy something on one device, and it auto-downloads on the others if it's turned on. Devices will backup to iCloud. For everything else, "the truth is in the cloud": your documents are stored there and you can pull them down whenever and wherever, but it doesn't try to keep them in sync across devices.
Sync over Wi-Fi is specially called "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync"; it has nothing to do with iCloud. It requires a wired connection to a PC at least once to establish the relationship (which you have already done, otherwise you would not have a Sync Now button). After that, the PC has to be on, with iTunes running.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sadly, the issue iCloud sync and iTunes sync are not nearly as clear as they need to be. This is a failing on Apple's part.

iCloud sync does the things shown in the iCloud section of preferences. Basically your personal data. It also gets data pushed to other iCloud savvy apps, like Address Book on the mac or Calendar entries on other iOS devices. It can also include data for third-party apps that take advantage of iCloud. This is useful because contact edits I make appear on my laptop automatically, and Calendar entries my wife changes on her iPad to shared calendars appear on my iPhone within minutes.

iTunes sync, wifi or USB, is copying data to your computer, like apps, music, books, and so on to your computer. This also enables home-sharing between multiple accounts: My wife buys an app on her iPhone. She wifi syncs to her iMac. My MacBook Pro is set to automatically copy new purchases from the iMac. Then when I wifi sync, the app my wife bought is automatically installed on my iPhone. It's like Christmas, seeing what apps randomly appear on my iPhone :)

And if enabled and you do a USB iTunes sync, it can also do a full backup of your iPhone's state.

All three of these coexist. I've read MacWorld articles on it, and I'm still confused.

To WillG's question: yes, iTunes must be running and its computer on wifi for iTunes WiFi sync to work. iCloud sync doesn't require any computer, just your device is online. It automatically happens when the devices gets plugged in (maybe that's a setting? that's how mine is set)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'm glad I read the forum feedback section before I bought one of these things. One of the reasons I was thinking about getting one of these things was so I could read and post to HTF when I was sitting in bed or on the couch, since this is the forum I frequent most.. The idea was to use a tablet so I could stop having a 10 pound laptop/desk replacement sitting on my lap; however, after reading that HTF is barely operable on the Ipad, I'll definitely have to hold off on purchasing one of these devices. I was debating on buying an open box 64 gig Ipad2 for 600 or so or going with the new one, but now........
I wonder if this site would work OK on an android device like the Samsung tablet running Firefox?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Edwin. I am lying in bed right now and replying to this post on my iPad.
Don't know where you got the idea that the HTF was barely operable on an iPad. For the last 2 years, I've been doing more and more posting, if not all with the iPad.
Though I have seen other sites that use an app like tap touch to post on their forums, I've not tried that. Using the built in browser Safari seems to work to do most posting. Though I don't do much posting of images with it when I post. I think it can be done.
I have noticed a few posts that link to YouTube videos that I can't see on the iPad. But I should be able to see those. So could be a glitch.
Bottom line, I would not let what you read discourage you from trying an iPad. It's become indispensable! And with the popularity of the iPad, more and more sites are getting iPad friendly.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Can you read and reply to posts on HTF? Sometimes. Usually it's a really crappy experience tho. It crashes Safari constantly and the interactive crap they keep foisting on us make the screen bounce all the hell over the place. It's a miserable experience at best. Don't even get me started on how stupid it is to not be able to disable tooltips on mobile.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I haven't noticed any more or less quirkiness then browsing the site on my MacBook or Air. I can post and use the site just fine on my iPad.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/270#post_3911196
Can you read and reply to posts on HTF? Sometimes. Usually it's a really crappy experience tho. It crashes Safari constantly and the interactive crap they keep foisting on us make the screen bounce all the hell over the place. It's a miserable experience at best. Don't even get me started on how stupid it is to not be able to disable tooltips on mobile.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I sold my first generation iPad last week. My daughter has my new iPad waiting for me when we get to the States next month.
For me, on the first generation iPad using the Atomic Web Browser, I was able to browse HTF just fine. I really enjoyed it. However, using the iPad keyboard was painful for posting. As a result, I mostly read and didn't post much. (OK, I don't really post that much anyway, but the point is the iPad is not great for writing longer posts).
I have a zaggmate bluetooth keyboard for iPad that I used from time to time. When I used it, then there was no problem writing. I'm guess I'm more comfortable with typing than pecking. And by the way, the iPad with a keyboard, for me, is still a lot better than using a laptop or netbook.
So, when I get to the States I'll probably get a case for the new iPad that has a keyboard. I'm really interested in what Ron has to say when he posts his review of cases/covers for the iPad which he mentioned he was going to do in another thread.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So, when I get to the States I'll probably get a case for the new iPad that has a keyboard.
The new iPad has voice recognition and can take dictation. So you can just speak whatever you need to post (although there will likely be some cleanup work that will need to be done) It's works pretty well for things like google searches, or ordering products on amazon etc.
To WillG's question: yes, iTunes must be running and its computer on wifi for iTunes WiFi sync to work. iCloud sync doesn't require any computer, just your device is online. It automatically happens when the devices gets plugged in (maybe that's a setting? that's how mine is set)
Yeah, I believe I had everything set up right , had my iPod plugged into a wall outlet and iTunes open on my PC, but it seems that the device hasn't been finding my PC as "Available"

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
WillG said:
The new iPad has voice recognition and can take dictation. So you can just speak whatever you need to post (although there will likely be some cleanup work that will need to be done) It's works pretty well for things like google searches, or ordering products on amazon etc.
Oh, that's right! I forgot about voice recognition. That may just work. Do you think it can decipher my thick South Georgia accent? :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
WillG said:
Yeah, I believe I had everything set up right , had my iPod plugged into a wall outlet and iTunes open on my PC, but it seems that the device hasn't been finding my PC as "Available"
Had you plugged the iPod into the computer first, and turned on WiFi syncing? After that, the iPod should appear as a connected device in iTunes whenever it's on the network. That's all I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks