What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908458
I recently saw or read an interesting assessment as to why Androids are not doing as well as the Apple I-devices. Sorry, I don't recall the source.
The main point of the story was that Google or the Android developers are not designing apps in very great numbers. And the ones they have now are not optimized for the larger tablet sized screens. They are mainly focused on the mobile phone user. There seems to be little interest or incentive to make apps that are designed for a tablet. Given the lack of standardization of devices, I can see that being a problem. All the Samsung tablets I hear about are all slightly different sizes. There's that new Samsung tablet that serves as a phone and a tablet and uses the stylus. That one is sized between a phone and tablet.
Apple only makes the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, so there two screen sizes the app developers know what to design for. And the major reason for Apple's success is the standardization going here. The developers know what to design for and can optimize for.
As one of you guys already said so well, it just works! I love how I can have the same app for my iPhone and my iPad but each is designed for that device. So the larger screen has an optimized layout and makes the user interface and experience great. Of course, not all apps are designed for iPads too. So those are not always as good. But for the most part, it's a great experience!
That's not really that accurate. Here's what's killing android app development: fragmentation as well as secured selling point. Let's put it this way.. with Apple, if you design an app and get approved, Apple supports it universally on their platforms, they sell and manage your costs, etc.

With Google, their marketplace is messy, and you aren't assured that an app that is designed for X runs on Y. In fact, it's been fairly frequent that an app designed for say, 2.2 back when doesn't run right on Ice Cream Sandwich. And with Jelly Bean the next Android OS, fragmentation is more not less with more unique twists and tracts.

Android is the neat, cool, super geeky kid. Originally, a lot of people had compared it to Microsoft.. ie, the "good enough" and that it'd dominate the market. And android devices do cell well. But their application cohesiveness is TERRIBLE. For a developer, it's a hard target to hit and the reward structure sucks.

Meanwhile, Apple has the iTunes store locked down and profitable for vendors, and they've figured out how to push it. Even Microsoft's Windows Phone ventures - which lag behind those - makes complete sense for a developer who wants to make money, especially in comparison to Android.
It's not saying there isn't money to be made in Android, their definitely is. But for big development houses, it's hard to commit a ton of resources to android because you're going to spend a ton of time and money on "bug fixes" that boil down to "compatibility patches" as several have discovered. This is a significant added cost which can hinder development and definitely lower profitability.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Matt for that post and analysis of the Android situation. Certainly a lot of issues they are having that Apple has worked out so well.
I see in the news that 3 million iPads sold this weekend.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not being a dick here, I'm actually curious: Who besides Samsung has sold any other tablet in quantities over 3 million in their entire lifetime? Not counting Android spinoffs like Fire, Nook and Vita (not a tablet)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908754
Not being a dick here, I'm actually curious: Who besides Samsung has sold any other tablet in quantities over 3 million in their entire lifetime? Not counting Android spinoffs like Fire, Nook and Vita (not a tablet)

The not counting bit is a lark.. while Nook somewhat, the Fire has definitely sold in significant quantity.. again, though, the Fire displays why the Android system is messed up; it uses a completely customized and self-maintained setup, functioning off of it's own store, and using an ecosystem they largely control and support.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
Well, yes. I'd like these companies to engineer enough features and power into a device to get a 2 or 3 year life cycle out of it before it turns into electronic landfill due to obsolescence.
My iPad 2 isn't obsolete, just isn't the newest device. I'm certianly never going to upgrade to a new iPad every year. I don't buy a new car every year either.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mattCR said:
The not counting bit is a lark.. while Nook somewhat, the Fire has definitely sold in significant quantity.. again, though, the Fire displays why the Android system is messed up; it uses a completely customized and self-maintained setup, functioning off of it's own store, and using an ecosystem they largely control and support.
OK, count em if you want to. You still didn't answer the question =p Have they sold more than 3 million Nooks or Fires?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't know about the numbers, but I can tell you that this 1st iPad for my wife probably points to my family heading down that direction (for a tablet device anyway) going forward. B&N/Nook had its chance me thinks, and my kids (and maybe my wife) will probably continue to enjoy what little there is on the NC I received as a present, but they definitely don't seem to be doing anything worth my continued investment going forward. They seem to act like they're trying to play catch-up w/ Amazon/Fire despite hitting the market a year-and-change earlier and is on their 2nd iteration at roughly the same cycle as the 1st Fire iteration.

Although the Amazon/Fire looks promising, it also hasn't done much of anything to convince me to hop aboard thus far. Sure, it only costs $200, but so what? That's $200 I could spend on something for the iPad or something else. I'm already tied to a computer much of everyday and have a smart-if-obsoleted-phone for on-the-go basics, so something that's not a big departure from what those 2 things already provide will have a hard time convincing me. Heck, neither I nor my wife even owns an iPhone despite having owned an iPod Touch for a while and would certainly prefer an iPod something for portable music. I don't even know that I'd want to buy an iPad for myself anytime soon -- my wife's a different story of course since she's not tied to a computer (nor a smartphone) like me.

But yeah, despite being a software dev guy, who actually went to (old) school for that stuff, I don't have much desire to fiddle w/ the various Android offerings enough to start investing significantly in their ecosystem(s). I'd rather spend my time, not just money, enjoying a whole lot more than that particular flavor of techno-geeky stuff.

Don't get me wrong though. As much as I do dislike MS/Windoze -- and each incarnation hasn't convinced me otherwise -- and have occasionally considered (sorta) going back to what Steve Jobs & Co. offer, I'm probably stuck w/ MS/Windoze for the forseeable future and have no real plans to migrate anytime soon. Yeah, I can definitely appreciate the argument in favor of paying the premium for the premium solutions, but unfortunately, I can't afford to pay that premium on everything I want/need. Gotta prioritize these things, and my day job is so MS/Windoze-centric anyway, so that's an extra obstacle right there. Maybe if I finally stop spending $$$ on HT and movie purchases perhaps, but I'm sure Ron, Adam & Co. would rather I stick w/ MS/Windoze to go along w/ my HT/movie spending than to migrate completely to the Apple side at the cost of HT/movies.

_Man_

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908814
OK, count em if you want to. You still didn't answer the question =p Have they sold more than 3 million Nooks or Fires?

Yes. Amazon has stated sold more then 3 M fires before Christmas, and their guidance seems to suggest more then 5M by years end last (most estimate 6M by Dec. 31, or somewhere between 5.5 and 6). IDC estimates, based on their vendor supplies, that they've moved somewhere around 8.3M units so far.. as a guess. (all of this can be easily googled)..

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908470
That's not really that accurate. Here's what's killing android app development: fragmentation as well as secured selling point. Let's put it this way.. with Apple, if you design an app and get approved, Apple supports it universally on their platforms, they sell and manage your costs, etc.

With Google, their marketplace is messy, and you aren't assured that an app that is designed for X runs on Y. In fact, it's been fairly frequent that an app designed for say, 2.2 back when doesn't run right on Ice Cream Sandwich. And with Jelly Bean the next Android OS, fragmentation is more not less with more unique twists and tracts.

Android is the neat, cool, super geeky kid. Originally, a lot of people had compared it to Microsoft.. ie, the "good enough" and that it'd dominate the market. And android devices do cell well. But their application cohesiveness is TERRIBLE. For a developer, it's a hard target to hit and the reward structure sucks.

Meanwhile, Apple has the iTunes store locked down and profitable for vendors, and they've figured out how to push it. Even Microsoft's Windows Phone ventures - which lag behind those - makes complete sense for a developer who wants to make money, especially in comparison to Android.
It's not saying there isn't money to be made in Android, their definitely is. But for big development houses, it's hard to commit a ton of resources to android because you're going to spend a ton of time and money on "bug fixes" that boil down to "compatibility patches" as several have discovered. This is a significant added cost which can hinder development and definitely lower profitability.
But your last comments back up his statements... Bugs and no standard hardware platform. This is why even normal development houses that give away their apps as part of the mobile solution are frustrated with Android. My development teams being one of them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I haven't used mine too much so far. I'm still using my iPad 2.
I am waiting to use it too much until I can get a Belkin snap on skin to protect the back side. They are probably feverishly tooling up the molds now to make them. :)
However I may start using it more to test out these reports of iPads getting hot. In the time I have used it running one app, it did feel a little warm. But it didn't register to me it was hot, I thought it was from charging the battery.
I still have the clear protective plastic on mine, so it's hard to see how sharp images look on the screen. I can tell that text does look finer and the pixels are indeed smaller! Pictures and videos are hard to see any difference while I still have the plastic wrap on it. I'm sure they do indeed look higher resolution.
In terms of speed, I use an app called Sketchbook Pro and I don't feel any speed improvements. But I know the real improvement is the video processing for moving images in games and videos.
I'll play a video tonight of an episode of Pan Am I got from iTunes and see how it performs compared to the iPad 2 and if it gets hot. My sense the new higher performing video chip is the one that will heat up.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, last night, I went to Futureshop and took a look at the new Ipad. They had an Ipad2 running beside it so I could compare the image quality on both screens. Frankly, I thought that the image quality on the new Ipad would be some sort of quantum leap over the Ipad2, but from the short time I looked at it the boost in quality looked incremental at most. Lettering and icons did seem a bit sharper, but it was nothing mindblowing; you really had to look to see any particular difference. Casual inspection wouldn't have caused any particular difference to stand out. That being said, I would probably still buy the latest one for the faster processor and 4G LTE capability. All they had on display were the 16 GB WiFi models. I asked if they had any 64 Gig 4G models but was told they were all out. Frankly, I don't know why Apple is still bothering with a 16GB model. I think the 16GB models are going to be mostly shelf filler as I expect most buyers are going to go with the 32GB model as a minimum.
I'll make a final decision on buying one in a couple of weeks which is when I expect my income tax refund to show up.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
16gb is historically the biggest seller. Especially to new to the Apple Ecosystem buyers. It's only after they buy it that they'll decide they really need more. Again it wasn't that big a deal on iPad 2, but with bigger apps I think it will be changing with this rev.
Don't underestimate the psychological factor of being under $500 either.
and keep in mind nobody wants to stock 18 SKUs. It's actually brilliant on Apple's part, let the crappy consumer electronics big box vendors sell the entry level model and keep the Apple Store as the place where people go to get the better equipped ones, and hey while you're here have you seen the Macbook air? =p

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Edwin-S /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/210#post_3909078
Frankly, I don't know why Apple is still bothering with a 16GB model..
I'd very much like an iPad 3 with 128 GB for $499...But presumably it enables them to maintain their price points while selling the biggest advancement in display technology since LCD went mainstream.

Or as observed by Daring Fireball, Apple had these choices:
* Storage Capacity
* Battery Life
* Screen Quality
* Price points
* LTE

We see their priorities by the product released.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I switched to Mac products around the same time is Ronbo. Not sure if it was him or me that took the plunge first. There products work, work well and never give me issues as the Window's Based systems...
I am with you Ron. I wouldnt take a windows based system for free...
And Ipad.... My 68 year old mother is deathly afraid of computers is on an Ipad2... You couldnt tear it away from her...

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
My "the new" iPad has been great. The SIM card was flaky and I had to reseat it a couple times. I love the new screen! Everything is just sharper and more defined, esp vs my iPad 1. I haven't noticed the reported heat problems.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
16gb is historically the biggest seller. Especially to new to the Apple Ecosystem buyers. It's only after they buy it that they'll decide they really need more. Again it wasn't that big a deal on iPad 2, but with bigger apps I think it will be changing with this rev.
Don't underestimate the psychological factor of being under $500 either.
and keep in mind nobody wants to stock 18 SKUs. It's actually brilliant on Apple's part, let the crappy consumer electronics big box vendors sell the entry level model and keep the Apple Store as the place where people go to get the better equipped ones, and hey while you're here have you seen the Macbook air? =p
No, I haven"t seen a MacBook air. There's no Apple store where I live. I have to rely on an electronic big box retailer for Apple products. I know they do stock some desktop Macs, but I'm not sure if they stock the notebooks. The everything in the screen aspect of the Mac has never appealed to me. The idea of not being able to add so much as a memory expansion does not appeal to me. I took the time and googled the Macbook Air though. It certainly does look nice, but the limited availability of a wide range of useful Apple software and the need to use Windoze extensively is what really stops me from buying Apple products. It's a Windoze environment where I work. Apple products won't work.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have an 11" Macbook Air. Most mainstream apps have Mac equivalents and you can use Parallels or VMware for apps that don't. However, if your work doesn't support it then that is problematic. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Edwin-S said:
No, I haven"t seen a MacBook air. There's no Apple store where I live. I have to rely on an electronic big box retailer for Apple products. I know they do stock some desktop Macs, but I'm not sure if they stock the notebooks. The everything in the screen aspect of the Mac has never appealed to me. The idea of not being able to add so much as a memory expansion does not appeal to me. I took the time and googled the Macbook Air though. It certainly does look nice, but the limited availability of a wide range of useful Apple software and the need to use Windoze extensively is what really stops me from buying Apple products. It's a Windoze environment where I work. Apple products won't work.
You misunderstand my post. I'm saying that most people will see these devices at a big box retailer and pick the cheapest one they can get. Once they are 'hooked' they will start exploring other apple products at the actual apple store. It's a virtuous circle.
And I'm not going to rehash the "a mac laptop won't work with my company's internet" except to say that you are quite mistaken. There are tens of millions of people doing exactly what you say can't be done. Three different ways. With pure OSX systems, Parallels/VMWare virtualization, and Bootcamp. Each offers their own advantages. If you want links I'll provide them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is happening to me. Guess I will get myself a new cover this weekend!
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/22/some-smart-covers-not-working-properly-on-new-ipad/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks