What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (2 Viewers)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Edwin-S said:
I took the time and googled the Macbook Air though. It certainly does look nice, but the limited availability of a wide range of useful Apple software and the need to use Windoze extensively is what really stops me from buying Apple products. It's a Windoze environment where I work. Apple products won't work.
I have used a MacBook Air at work, a Windows shop, and it worked just fine. I had Parallels and Windows XP installed for the couple of programs I had to run under Windows. Other than that, the Mac did everything I needed it to do.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can tell you for certain some smart covers do not not work.

The Sena Classic Folio is supposed to have the energy-saving activated cover.

I ordered one. It did not work for me.

The company is aware of the problem with the iPad 3 and has a replacement on the way to me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nelson Au said:
Sam, that's interesting. The Smart Cover from my iPad 2 is working fine on my new iPad.
Mine was bought the day iPad2s went in store, when did you get yours?
Also, for those who have been asking: I -did- successfully transfer my unlimited iPad subscription to another, and no I did not make any money from doing so. It wasn't that complicated and could have netted me a few hundred dollars on Ebay but I did not want to get in the middle of a fight should AT&T somehow rescind this transferal.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I had the same thought. Hard as I tried, I just could not get the iPad 2 on the first day as I had with the iPad 1. So I didn't get the iPad 2 until 4 months later. So Apple must have made the changes to the Smart Cover magnets within that time frame.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't know about Edwin, but my work involves vertical -- even monolithic -- dev and integration centered around our rather large in-house framework/platform built on top of .NET/SqlServer (w/ other legacy-and-otherwise wrinkles thrown in), so there's not much chance of using a Mac-anything at least to do the actual dev work that I do.
However, that doesn't stop certain minorities of folks from using Macs for things like web design work and certain kinds of prototyping, etc. if/when they can clearly justify the departure from corporate standards. And I'm guessing many folks in other major divisions/branches of our company also use Macs, eg. news/media work, education, etc.
Still, the cross-platform thing can run both ways to a fair extent, so we may actually have iPad apps dev-ed on Windoze machines using iOS SDK and emulators (and a small number of iPads for prod testing and presentations/demos).
And although I say my work requires Windoze machine, that's mainly just the actual dev/testing environment itself. Probably doesn't completely stop me from using a Mac to remote into my actual dev box or the test environment. Just not so workable though if/when I need to do something locally on my own machine rather than merely remoting to where the actual action is.
So yeah, it really depends. Plus even if I can run Mac for my own machine, I'd have a hard time convincing the business to pay for the extra software (and whatever else) just for my isolated Mac -- and I'm not about to dish out my own $$$ for that. Also, doing that isn't very team-friendly anyway unless you generally only work alone...
_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
You misunderstand my post. I'm saying that most people will see these devices at a big box retailer and pick the cheapest one they can get. Once they are 'hooked' they will start exploring other apple products at the actual apple store. It's a virtuous circle.
And I'm not going to rehash the "a mac laptop won't work with my company's internet" except to say that you are quite mistaken. There are tens of millions of people doing exactly what you say can't be done. Three different ways. With pure OSX systems, Parallels/VMWare virtualization, and Bootcamp. Each offers their own advantages. If you want links I'll provide them.
Ugh, sorry, I have to use that VMware shit to run XP as a virtual machine on a Windoze 7 box, and I don't particularly like it. It feels like it takes forever to boot on the XP side just so I can run one inventory program. It is a pain in the ass getting Allen-Bradley software to operate in an XP partition on the Windoze 7 laptop that I'm using, which is why I prefer to use an ancient Dell laptop that they have. At least with the Dell turtle, I know that A-B's software will run like it is supposed to. I could just see more problems running their stuff in a partition on an Apple box. Not to mention, the chances of me convincing them to buy an Apple product, when their whole environment is MS Windows, is nil. I could buy my own, but I think they would have real problems putting their licensed software on my personal machine. Not that I'd mind having a suite of programs costing thousands on my own laptop.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Getting back to the subject in the title. Has there been any more info or reports of heating problems on these new Ipads. What about the reports of lousy wi-fi performance? Any more news on that? I'm still leaning toward getting one of these things for personal use, but I want to make sure that it isn't going to suffer XBOX360 syndrome or require using 3 or 4G cellular service to get decent wireless performance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Edwin-S /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/210#post_3909717
Ugh, sorry, I have to use that VMware shit to run XP as a virtual machine on a Windoze 7 box, and I don't particularly like it.

The problem is you're using that shady street-merchant knock-off, "Windoze". It's like Sorny and Rollex. You got to get the real thing, Windows ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
LOL.
I totally agree w/ Edwin about being reluctant to use VMWare for anything of real consequence, and I'm actually the Comp Sci guy here too. ;-)
Truth is VMWare -- and I assume that's just the general term bandied about here -- will probably never be reliable and/or fast/efficient enough for the Windoze world. Bad enough we're using all sorts of 1/2-baked, MS-spawned/inspired bloatware hackjobs for real work. But trying to run them reliably on somebody else's VM architecture will just be asking for trouble. Heck, I don't even know how much I can rely on running MS's own OS in their own VMs -- a couple of my dev team's continuous integration WS dev test boxes (one for older 32-bit dev and another for newer 64-bit dev) use such a config sharing the same physical machine and it sucks badly.
Yeah, if all you're doing is firing up some flavor of Office suite type apps to create a resume, crunch a few numbers in Excel or throw together a quick and simple PowerPoint presentation, sure, VMWare will likely work fine -- heck, that was possible in certain Unix environments way back when NT was still just vaporware, and I actually used that in some sort of back-office automated fashion. But I'm not being paid to do clerical work though. ;-)
I'm also aware that there are 3rd party dev tools for .NET and SqlServer among other needs I have. But they are rarely all that adequate, if at all powerful enough, to replace the core tools. They can make great supplementary/complementary tools, and I use them for that. But doing all that dev work on a Mac just won't be feasible if at all doable at least in my case. Even if you can reliably do all that inside a VM hosted on a Mac, why bother since you're bound to run into VM-related performance issues in that scenario.
RE: booting into separate partition for XP, again, why bother? I can't see that really worth the hassle. If I don't bother jailbreaking the iPad or doing all sorts of rooting of my NookColor, why would I waste my time/effort switching back and forth w/ a duo-boot setup? If the Apple advantage means that much to me, I'd probably be better off just getting a separate machine for each usage instead -- at least one of them should be paid for by the business anyway in that case. In fact, isn't that precisely why we're here in this thread anyway? Nobody here is trying to convince anyone else to just stick w/ a laptop (or desktop or smartphone) instead of getting an iPad afterall.
As Sam often likes to point out wrt photog gear, just use the right tools for the right jobs already. Would be silly to shoehorn all sorts of MS-centric stuff thru the pinhole of VMWare (or the duo personality disorder of duo-booting ;-) )just so one can hop on the bandwagon and id oneself w/ the current Apple fad. ;-) Don't get me wrong. I do like certain Apple-ware, but these things are all just tools for the most part. At the end of the day, real happiness and joy come from how we appreciate life and the world around us and are not tied intrinsically to such inanimate objects whether it's apple or orange. Woe is me on that day when my happiness and joy hinge quite so much on the name of a fruit (or other techno-geeky dessert ;-) )...
Cheers! :)
_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh... Getting back to the specifics on the new iPad...
RE: overheating, it does seem to run a tad warmer than I'd expect and we haven't been playing 3D games (or another high powered games) on it. Still haven't tried 3/4G/LTE yet either -- will probably get to that next week before we go on vacation.
After getting used to the back button on the NC (and certain other software, including web browsers), I found the lack of one on the iPad to be a tad annoying at times. The saving grace though is that multitasking gestures seem user-friendly enough to start weening me off the use of a back button, which itself isn't always ideal anyway.
BTW, I haven't checked the manual (nor googled) just yet, but is there a (easy) way to zoom w/ the camera? Doesn't seem like it though I'd thought yes before buying.
Also, wish some of the restriction settings allowed easier access and/or greater flexibility in how they work. For instance, would be nice to not always have to go thru the whole Settings app to enable/disable certain things. Likewise for turning on/off WiFi (to save battery power). I guess there are apps for that, but thought we buy the iPad for a more complete experience w/out having to patch up all sorts of missing features and usability quirks. Seems odd to not be able to turn on WiFi on-demand/on-the-fly among other things...
_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ManW_TheUncool said:
. Likewise for turning on/off WiFi (to save battery power). I guess there are apps for that, but thought we buy the iPad for a more complete experience w/out having to patch up all sorts of missing features and usability quirks. Seems odd to not be able to turn on WiFi on-demand/on-the-fly among other things...
_Man_
The complete experience is that you don't have to turn wifi on and off manually to manage battery life.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Edwin-S said:
Ugh, sorry, I have to use that VMware shit to run XP as a virtual machine on a Windoze 7 box, and I don't particularly like it. It feels like it takes forever to boot on the XP side just so I can run one inventory program. It is a pain in the ass getting Allen-Bradley software to operate in an XP partition on the Windoze 7 laptop that I'm using, which is why I prefer to use an ancient Dell laptop that they have. At least with the Dell turtle, I know that A-B's software will run like it is supposed to. I could just see more problems running their stuff in a partition on an Apple box. Not to mention, the chances of me convincing them to buy an Apple product, when their whole environment is MS Windows, is nil. I could buy my own, but I think they would have real problems putting their licensed software on my personal machine. Not that I'd mind having a suite of programs costing thousands on my own laptop.
Right, you are using crap hardware and blaming the virtualization software :rolleyes: On even my air Parallels boots Windows 7 in under 20 seconds, it stays running for weeks/months at a time, and I can flip to it in it's own full screen window (NOT A SMALL BOX) in 1/4 of a second.
I understand the trouble getting an employer to invest in tools, the mentality of 'get the cheapest we can to do the job' is pervasive and I wouldn't work for a company that thinks that way if I could avoid it, and so far I'm doing pretty well on that front. That's a different story than saying it just won't work, which is where you seem to be,
I can see it's pointless to try to overcome your preconceived notions so I'll just stop here.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Edwin-S said:
Getting back to the subject in the title. Has there been any more info or reports of heating problems on these new Ipads. What about the reports of lousy wi-fi performance? Any more news on that? I'm still leaning toward getting one of these things for personal use, but I want to make sure that it isn't going to suffer XBOX360 syndrome or require using 3 or 4G cellular service to get decent wireless performance.
It's all bullshit sensationalism to get pageviews.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was outside the other day sitting on my deck with iPad in lap.

Mind you, it was a warm day and the sun was shining on me.

However, my new iPad definitely got much warmer than the old
one would have. I was rather surprised (prior to the recent findings)
just how hot the back cover was getting. All I was doing was surfing
the web. After some time, I decided to shut the iPad off out of concern.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ManW_TheUncool said:
LOL.
Truth is VMWare -- and I assume that's just the general term bandied about here -- will probably never be reliable and/or fast/efficient enough for the Windoze world.
As Sam often likes to point out wrt photog gear, just use the right tools for the right jobs already.
/shrug. Turn my words on me if you like but I can claim the same thing in this case... All I can say is that my actual experience trumps your supposition. And no, Parallels and VMWare are two distinct products with different focuses and strengths and weaknesses. Try Parallels 7, you might be surprised at how well it runs. I've run Skyrim in emulation on a MBP at usable framerates. We aren't talking chickenfeed excel spreadsheets and email here bud.
It's like my favorite t-shirt says "While you were complaining about it I built something" =)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't know anyone who pushes their devices more than me and mine hasn't gotten above lukewarm.
My co-worker was curious about the problem and played MW3 on my new iPad for 25 minutes with LTE cooking, it didn't get above warm to the touch. and it was certainly no warmer than my iPhone gets while it is charging. We considered it case closed.
http://www.marco.org/2012/03/20/consumer-reports-sensationalism

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Mine gets pretty warm, but not outrageously warm. I guess compared to a laptop, I don't notice.. it's far less then that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been using both my iPad 2 and new iPad surfing, using an app called Sketchbook Pro, Mail, and playjng videos and was surprised to notice the iPad 2 got warm with all the news about the new iPad getting hot. When I compare both, the new iPad might be a tad warmer running the same apps, but not a lot. Certainly not as hot as my MacBook Pro gets using a totally CPU intensive application for my work while running Bootcamp. Funny thing is when running this application called Keyshot, the fans kick on pretty quickly. It also runs natively on the Mac side, so once I do what I need to on the Bootcamp side, I flip over to the Mac side and it still gets warm, but probably half as hot. I'll have to get an IR temperature sensor and measure it and the iPads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks