What's new

*** Official HD support, 5.1 & 16:9 Game Survey Thread (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
anyone try Tiger Woods 2003 for PS2? i'm hoping it's 16:9 and 480p, but i'm not holding on too much hope for it, since Tony Hawk 4 was 16:9 and 720p for xbox but not for ps2.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Shenmue 2 Xbox

16:9: NO! (and it looks horrible stretched)
480p: Yes
5.1: Only in cutscenes (DD5.1)
720p: No
108oi: No

Dan B

Screenwriter
That's really misleading how it says that it supports HDTV on the Shenmue box, but it's not even in 16x9, let alone a resolution higher than 480.

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
I know it's not out yet, but I thought since it's such a high profile title maybe someone knows about any HD support for Metroid Prime for GCN? I'm assuming 480p is likely, but what about 16:9? I can't wait for this title, but I sure hope I don't have to play it stretched.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
does Shenmue 2 really look that bad stretched? i don't even have an xbox yet but have yet to find a ps2 game that looks really bad stretched.

any word on specs for Tiger Woods 2003 for ps2 and xbox?

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Yup. Even better than Halo does, since you can system link 8 boxes and only have one player per screen for some 4-on-4, non splitscreen action.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
does Shenmue 2 really look that bad stretched? i don't even have a
Thats a very difficult question because this is something that is very subjectvite.

To me, it looks awful. Ryo looks really short and fat and the stretching "blands" out the textures to me, not too mention it accents the "jagginess" that is left in the game.

When I switch my Tosh to "normal" view with the bars on the left and right, the game looks fantastic. Nice and smooth and the textures are really nice. Any stretching done just deteriorates the picture quality to me. Again this is subjective as you may find the picture perfectly acceptable.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think most games look horrible with a full stretch. The hybrid stretch/zoom modes are sometimes ok, but any game that has humanoid objects looks awful when not in the correct aspect ratio. The proportions of a human are so easy to identify that any distortion is glaring.

-Dave

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The hybrid stretch/zoom modes are sometimes ok
Well thats my point with Shenmue, even the hybrid stretch modes dont look too good. They cover the map up #1, which is needed for getting around in the game along with the other things I noted in my preious post.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Chris, if you wouldn't mind posting some impressions of Transworld Snowboarding, please do so. I saw the movies on the latest OXM disc, and while this isn't my favorite type of game, it looked pretty good.

-Dan

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well that sucks....my tv locks into full with a progressive signal so i'll be out of luck with Shenmue 2.

this, coupled with the fact that House of the Dead 3's gun not working with hdtv's, is delaying my purchase of an xbox, which was supposed to be this weekend.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Tetris Worlds XBox
Custom Soundtrack: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Playing to Rob Zombie last night was pretty damn cool :)
Mike

Seth Bohlen

Auditioning
does Shenmue 2 really look that bad stretched?
I don't think the game looks bad at all stretched. If you have a zoom/stretch mode on your television that doesn't zoom in too far, it should work well enough. I use one of the theater wide settings on my Toshiba and all the maps, icons, etc. are visible, while the stretching is minimal. Also, the graphics are not as bad as some of the reviews I've read have stated. Some of the character models are pretty bad, but overall it still looks pretty good.

Seth

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
X-MEN: NEXT DIMENSION (X-Box)
480p: yes
DD 5.1: During cutscenes only. 2.0 during gameplay.
16x9: no
Online: no
custom soundtrack: no

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks