What's new

Black Friday 2009 sales thread (DVDs/BDs/videogames/HDTVs/players) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF

How do these "Lightning Deals" work? Are they one-day sales, or do you have to buy them within some short period of being posted?
Near as I can tell (and recall from last year), they should probably work just like the Lightning Deals you already see in your Amazon Today's Deals page (in the upper-right section w/ different deals for different time periods throughout each day).

IOW, you won't be able to make use of such deals across different groups/periods to make one combo order.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I picked up one of the Dynex 32" LCDs at Best Buy and it is a decent TV. One thing to be aware of, there are actually three models at that price and 2 of them have no digital audio output. I was amazed. I mistakenly got one of those at first. So, if that is important to you and you are considering that deal, be certain to get the one with 2 hdmi inputs (and "130" in the middle of its model number) instead of three. The digital output was far more important to me than the extra hdmi.

This TV is not suitable for use in my good HT. From what I've seen, no LCD will make me happy with the black level, but it will be great in the living room.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The Walmart sale on the 19 inch Sansui is actually tempting for the kids rooms. I can get rid of the tube t.v.s and hang em on the wall.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The best deal I've seen is Walmart's Infamous/Batman/Batman + the PS3. If you don't have a PS3 yet (and you should!) this is the way to go. Shop around for the amazing BlueTooth Remote and you've got a great start right there.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm hoping for some unannounced sales on the Pansaonic BD80 Blu Ray. I missed the good prices on it last week, so I'm now waiting impatiently for some killer Christmas price drops.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if there is a list of all 30 $10 Walmart blurays that are on sale? I have done google searches yeilding no results. I may stand in line if there are a few I want.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Shad R

Does anyone know if there is a list of all 30 $10 Walmart blurays that are on sale? I have done google searches yeilding no results. I may stand in line if there are a few I want.
http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/wal-mart-black-friday-ad.html

Scroll down to the Movies section.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Dave, thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. The ad says there are over 30 to choose from, but they only show a handful. I'm looking for a complete list of all the movies, if there even is one.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Near as I can tell (and recall from last year), they should probably work just like the Lightning Deals you already see in your Amazon Today's Deals page (in the upper-right section w/ different deals for different time periods throughout each day).

IOW, you won't be able to make use of such deals across different groups/periods to make one combo order.

_Man_
Yes, you *can* take advantage of deals across groups/periods for combo orders. I've done 2 so far. One yesterday and another today.

As far as how they work... they changed the rules a bit after the Dell Laptop Lightning Deal debacle and now a Lightning Deal *can* go OOS even if you have it "claimed" and you'll not get it. So waiting across time periods (or even a few seconds) can be chancy for "hot" items as they could sell out before you check out with your "deal". Basically it's now just like a Gold Box deal but you *have* to have "claimed" it before you get the special price.

I think it's really lame and just a bit unethical for them to do it this way now. It's like going to BB/WM/OM/etc. early on BF, getting that coupon for the laptop/TV/etc. and then when you go to pick it up mid-morning (but before the cutoff) they tell you "sorry, we've sold out and you don't get one".

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by BobO'Link ">[/url]

Yes, you *can* take advantage of deals across groups/periods for combo orders. I've done 2 so far. One yesterday and another today.

[/QUOTE]I guess one can always opt to make use of their current free trial for Prime to counter the limitations of these lighting deals -- if you don't want to keep Prime, just make sure you cancel before the free month is up.

I haven't bought anything from those deals so far, but I did just go ahead and signed up for the free trial in case I find a good deal I want to jump on asap (and not have to worry about ordering enough to meet the standard free shipping requirement).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

_Man_
I've read where lots of people did just that just in case. Of course the free shipping is computed on the "before" Lightning Deal price so you can frequently pick up a couple of items and still get free shipping on an order way under $25 total. One of mine cost $7 after all discounts were taken off and qualified for free shipping as the pre-discount total was ~$35.

RyanAn

Screenwriter

They are likely wrong unless they tend to watch all their stuff in very brightly lit rooms -- or play loads and loads of video games or like the rather digitally video look of many/most of them.

_Man_
Hey! They are all serious gamers, but I'm not sure their lighting preferences. They are all about LCD and say Plasma is icky. ;0 I always wanted to go DLP, but then I heard from one friend that people are saying it's not all it's cracked up to be. I really don't know, so I'm asking around. Haven't really been steared wrong that often on here. heh.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
A lot of BB doorbuster and BF deals are live on line already. I just ordered Monster Vs. Aliens, Madden 10 and Need for Speed: shift. Order finalized no problem with the BF price.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Here's hoping Amazon will match those BB BF deals soon enough. BB charges a bit much for shipping, but Amazon has free shipping OTOH.

And at just $10 for the Wolverine BD and $8 for Wrath of Khan BD, I could go for those, if shipping is free (or very nominal).

_Man_

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Man... I'm on so many sites at the moment, seeing if I can save myself some effort in a store tomorrow after my shit at 9am. My list of stuff to get:
GPS - a good one, that's not outrageously priced
HDTV - A GREAT one that's not out-of-date and will last a good one (and be cheap)
120 gig PS3 with optional games/blu-ray for $299 or less
Cheap Cheap Cheap Blu-Ray's
If anyone knows of any secret places, send me a PM. ;0

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For anyone interested, J&R's BF sale includes the Sony S360 BD player for just ~$120 according to the email I received from them. However, their BF sale doesn't kick in until tomorrow, so you won't see that price until some time tomorrow.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks