What's new

***Official ET on DVD Discussion (Gift Set, Packaging, Features, Etc) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Having checked out New Line's site I'll say we are DEFINITELY talking apples and oranges here. The 4 disc is set at $40. The 5 disc comes with various gimmicks (though I like them) to bump up the cost to $80. However, you can buy the 5th disc seperately for $20, so it's not like They are FORCING anyone to buy an $80 set to get a version of the film - or any other DVD as it stands.

I'm quite happy with New Line's price scheme.

I'm quite displeased with Universal's.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
According to the press release posted by Ron in this thread, it seems that we will indeed have to shell out $70US to get the original theatrical version.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'd like the original but I don't want a big box full of nonsense to get it.

I will pay $14.99 or something on Black Friday for the SE 2- disc version. I won't watch it anyway, I just want it so my daughter and I can watch it some day and don't have to wait out some ridiculous moratorium.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm with you there, Dan, but I thought the "terrorist" line was NEVER on home video. I have read it was cut out of the very first VHS release. Anybody know for sure??
I had the first VHS release for a long time, and there was no terrorist line in there, and if you ask me they should have kept the whole line out for the re-release instead of re-dubbing it. "You are not going as a hippie," sounds extremely stupid in any context, and especially considering that the mother probably was a hippie. Don't get me started on the rest of the changes.

I really, really hate complaining, because it is terrific that they are actually releasing the original version. And I didn't try to look for things that bothered me in the new version; I just honestly disliked it. That being said, I'll probably go with the ultimate set if I can find it for a good price somewhere.

I'm sure we'll have this discussion again on Star Wars; Lucas will finally cave in and include the originals, and we'll complain when they're only available in an "ultimate set." The "ultimate" set of E.T. looks like it will be worth whatever prices most retailers sell it at, but it is disappointing, when the majority of people I've talked to (many of them casual fans) have told me they prefer the original versions of Star Wars and E.T., that they will force the people who want the original version to buy a higher priced set.

I know that studios milking customers for all the money they can get out of them is nothing new, and we fuel that fire with every impulse purchase we make, but it just seems that this time, the manipulation is a lot more blatant.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I'll probably get it (at a discounted price). Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to get the remastered soundtrack; a masterpiece and must-have in my opinion.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Seems silly when common sense would have said:

2 disc normal version (2002 update): $22.95 MAP
3 disc ultimate edition (1982&2002): $29.95 MAP
Collectors gift box uber-bloated ver: $69.95 MAP

I think Universal is probably worried about flooding the market (Although look at Jurassic Park, what were there 10 versions?!)--- but it seems that they're missing a healthy chunk of fans who want the 1982 version but not the super collectors editon.

I would say 90% of this forum falls into that middle category-- would rather have the 1982 version but not willing to pony up $70 to get other stuff they don't really care about.

Ugh. Yet another situation where Universal will point to the lack of sales for the $80 collectors edition as a sign that people didn't really care about the 1982 version (when the box office numbers for the rerelease should have shown them EVERYONE wanted the 1982 version!).

Sad.

-Vince

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The Ultimate Collector's DVD edition will include a wide-screen version of the 2002 film, the original 1982 theatrical release...
The above excerpt from the press release also troubles me.

Note that the word "wide-screen" preceeds the description for the bastardized version, but does not preceed "the original 1982 theatrical release."

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Rain: I think it's to suggest that it will NOT include the FF version of the 2002 film, and it's implied that the 1982 version would be OAR. I'm thinking if it were otherwise, their sales would be dangerously close to zero. Remember the "limited edition" Star Wars Episode I in widescreen that was supposed to sell out by the first weekend? I NEVER see that on the shelves anymore :D :laugh:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Universal but you just lost a sale. :thumbsdown:
ET is a borderline title for me so there is no way I'm bending over for this. :frowning: All I want is the original un-PC Widescreen version on DVD. For me its not worth the uber-premium cost just for all the other junk they're throwing in. As for the cheaper priced PC version, you couldn't pay me to watch it.
I hope this doesn't become a trend for the future. :frowning:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Rain,

DVD File confirmed with Universal that the 1982 theatrical cut in the box set will be widescreen. Hopefully it will be a solid anamorphic transfer at that, and of course, the true ET theatrical cut and not the home video version. If it's the latter and/or has a highly questionable video transfer, then they are really taking the piss.

That said, I AM buying the set, I love E.T too much and accept I am one of the chumps Universal is depending on buying that set.

Dan

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...and accept I am one of the chumps Universal is depending on buying that set.
I hear ya. I'm a chump too. They have us over a barrel.

But this whole thing is being done very tastelessly if you ask me. It's a blatant money-grabbing scam.

And I tell you, if that "original" version isn't exactly that, I'm going to make a huge fuss when I return it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sigh. I'm really up in the air about this. I hated the new version of the film and would only purchase the original version. However, (and I don't think I'm alone in this) I don't just have $50 or $60 to spend on a dvd set just so I can get the original version. Bad move on the part of Universal's marketing department. Shame shame shame.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I haven't made up my mind yet on the E.T. gift set. I imagine I'll be able to pre-order this from DVD Planet for under $50. Considering it contains 3 DVDs and the remastered soundtrack CD (which I've been meaning to buy anyway) that really doesn't seem too outrageous.
It's not so much that it could be priced in B&Ms for under $50. It's the fact that this will still be app. $30 more than the 2 disc set. So for those extra $30, you get a CD, a senitype and the other version. Senitype is a throwaway, many people probably already have the soudntrack on CD from the 80s, so $30 for another version of the film......Sorry.....not when the 2002 cut/set is going to sell for under $20 and IMHO will sell for $14.99 in most B&Ms.....

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I feel that Spielberg misled the public when he assured us that both versions would be available in the same package. While this is technically accurate (for the $70 version), there was no mention of a standard-priced version with only the new cut of the film.
:thumbsdown:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
When I can buy both versions of Legend on DVD for $16US (albeit in Universal's sh*tty case), it makes no sense to pay four times as much for one version of ET. One has to wonder how Universal can manage a way to screw up a really great idea. With Legend, it was the case, with ET, if this news is true, with pricing the version people want beyond what most can afford to pay.

I don't need another copy of the CD, it came with the LD.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Hopefully it will be a solid anamorphic transfer at that, and of course, the true ET theatrical cut and not the home video version. If it's the latter and/or has a highly questionable video transfer, then they are really taking the piss.
I would be shocked if Spielberg suddenly re-inserted the terrorist line after 20 years.

DJ

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would be shocked if Spielberg suddenly re-inserted the terrorist line after 20 years.
If he doesn't, then it's not the "original theatrical version" and Universal may expect at least one copy to be returned for this reason.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Everybody who cares in the least about film--specifically ET--would rather have the original version than the revisionist version. But at $70!!?? I could do without the revisionist version, soundtrack, script, and collectible senytype, but there is no other option? What a scam!!

Mark

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
"E.T. is the must-have family film and one of the most requested titles not yet available on DVD," said Craig Kornblau, president, Universal Studios Home Video.
E.T. may have been one of the most requested titles, but people weren't requesting the 2002 version. The $70 set sounds like a nice package, but I can't say that I would buy it if the '82 version were available separately. Warner Bros. has put out these deluxe sets without this kind of tactic. Disappointing, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks