What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'm kinda surprised that The Hurt Locker is a front runner for the Oscar. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very good movie and everyone who hasn't seen it should check it out but it didn't really stand out as the Best Picture to me. Although I didn't really see a movie that did scream Best Picture this year (I'd like to see Inglourious Basterds or Up win but I don't think that will happen).

I saw The Hurt Locker over the summer so maybe I should rent it and give it another shot.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/297692/official-academy-awards-nominations-2010-thread-announced/30#post_3656795

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wondering how many of the actual Academy voters will have seen "The Hurt Locker", as it had a exhibition half-life of junebugs, even with the onslaught of screeners and whatnot. "Avatar" probably has more viewership than the rest of the 9 other nominees combined, but will it make it dent in the ordinal voting system for best picture?

Personally, while "The Hurt Locker" was ranked high on my Top 10 list by default (kind of a weak year), it's not one of those movies I'd want to revisit anytime soon, the same with the game of gotcha that was "Inglorious Basterds", but that's just my personal reactions to these highly lauded films.

If I ever needed to stay in a fetal position for a while, sure, I'd pop in "Precious" and let it do it contortionist magic on me. Wasn't as crazy about "Up in the Air" has others, though UP was good, again, I think I'm just over Pixar's somewhat formulaic heart-tugging panache.

"The Blind Side" falls into that populist-surprise-money-maker of a movie, a story Hollywood loves to see happen in real life, but it's not a film I'll remember 10 years hence. "District 9" is this era's "Robocop", likely to be remembered, but not a truly great film, but with enough vision to look forward to its director's next film.

"An Education" is buoyed by a fine leading lady performance, but undermined by its script in the last act. Haven't seen "A Serious Man" yet, but I'll try to do so this month.

So, that leaves "Avatar", again, not imbued with the most "seemingly original" script this year, but its execution and restraint is brilliant, and it'll be a film I remember for years to come. So, I'm won't be surprised if "The Hurt Locker" wins best picture, but it won't be the one I'll be rooting for this year.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

As a life long fan of science fiction I'm just glad there was one year when 2 sci-fi films were up for best picture. I don't think it would ever have happened otherwise.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the other day that this year could shape up as something similar to what happened in '94.

2010: Avatar beats Inglourious Basterds.

1994: Gump beats Shawshank/Pulp Fiction.

Really "big" movies beat the critics favorites.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/297692/official-academy-awards-nominations-2010-thread-announced/30#post_3656820

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I was thinking the other day that this year could shape up as something similar to what happened in '94.

2010: Avatar beats Inglourious Basterds.

1994: Gump beats Shawshank/Pulp Fiction.

Really "big" movies beat the critics favorites.
True, except The Hurt Locker is the critic favorite. It is the best-reviewed film of the year:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/awards/

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Re: Bullock

I like her as a person and an actress for the type of films she does but I personally think this performance might be good for her but I can't see it as one of the best of the year and certainly not THE best of the year. Again, I still need to see several of the nominations but if Bullock's performance really is one of the best or the film is one of the ten best then there must be serious problems going on right now.

Again, I understand people loved the film and movie but I don't see it on too many people's lists of the best of the year so it's inclusion just make the overall idea of 10 noms look even worse to me than it did when it was announced that they were bumping up the number.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm rooting for The Hurt Locker as "Best Picture" and Kathryn Bigelow as "Best Director". Also, while I know it won't happen, I would love to see Anna Kendrick take home the "Best Supporting Actress" win.

Big thumbs down on the snubbing of Moon and (500) Days of Summer, especially with junk like The Blind Side making the cut.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think it was inevitable if not obligatory that a piece of populist cornpone would make a 10 field cut.

"We're not all film snobs", the Academy declares.

Still, The Blind Side being nominated isn't as stenchridden as Diablo Cody getting nominated and then winning for the abominable Juno. Cody winning the Oscar is as offensive as Milli Vanilli winning a Grammy. People are going to look back and say, "WTF?"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm, frankly, a little surprised here for all the love for (500) Days of Summer. I hadn't heard all that many good things about it.

I will now make a point to check it out.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That Milli Vanilli won the Grammy was a clear indication that people were sleeping at the wheel. The scandal afterwards did not change the fact that they shouldn't have been nominated much less voted to win. It really doesn't matter whether or not Cody was a plagarist or had her script ghost written -- it was a big pile of stinking poo and shouldn't have been in any consideration for a nomination. Even her EW columns are barely readable.

There's nothing wrong with the anaolgy unless you insist on having the part about not acutally singing included. Can't Milli Vanilli just be an example of sucking alone?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I'm pretty Astounded by District 9, why not just nominate Star Trek Then, I mean both were interesting Fun Films, District 9 added Social commentaries, but hardly either was Best Picture Material. And Sandra Bulloch, please she plays the same character in every movie she's in, maybe save for Crash I forget did she win for that?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Could it be up for the Best Lens Flare Category

Especially for 2012, the visuals in that movie were freakin' insane! On a sidenote, I really don't see how the visuals in Star Trek were any better than either of those films, yes it was a great movie but as far as visuals go those other two had it beat IMO.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would agree that the Hurt Locker would be a good choice for Best Picture, Avata was a good flick But Dances with Wolves Did win Once already.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Let's face it, she only got the nom because of the stripper turned screenwriter backstory. She's a talentless hack.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa

Yeah I'm pretty Astounded by District 9, why not just nominate Star Trek Then, I mean both were interesting Fun Films, District 9 added Social commentaries, but hardly either was Best Picture Material. And Sandra Bulloch, please she plays the same character in every movie she's in, maybe save for Crash I forget did she win for that?
No, she wasn't even nominated for Crash. I agree that she often plays the same character but I thought she was great in The Blind Side. I held off seeing it until about two weeks ago because I thought it just looked like another Erin Brockovich. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. If a friend had not really pushed the issue, I probably wouldn't have bothered to see it at all. Bullock really nailed the part. If you see any interviews of the woman she portrayed, it becomes even more apparent.

I think 10 or 20 years from now, there will be a big difference as to how District 9 and Star Trek are looked back upon. I thought Star Trek was fun, but I think District 9 is far better. Star Trek was a fresh, contemporary take on an existing franchise and Abrams did a terrific job. District 9 was more thought-provoking, yet every bit as entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks