Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 2, 2010.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Bea Arthur was a TV star. Looking at the IMDB, she was in a total of 6 movies (the majority of which are forgettable). I don't mean it as a slight in any way but given the sheer number of people in front of and behind the camera who die in any year, there was no reason to acknowledge such a small contribution to films.

I don't know if the Emmys do a tribute to the people who have died but if they do, she should definitely be recognized there due to her body of TV work that ran over 5 decades (including two very popular long running series).

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

They do, and the 2009 broadcast included tributes to both Bea Arthur and Farah Fawcett. It's available on YouTube.

I know this probably doesn't matter to most people here, but the 2009 Tony Awards included a tribute to Bea Arthur, who was a major Broadway star before she became a TV star.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Michael: Much like the success of This Is It, all this discussion of exclusions is being driven by the emotions of fans. Not altogether two different things...

4. Michael Reuben

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I agree that there must be disappointed families and friends every year concerning the Memory montage, but they did blow it by not including Farrah. No one else has said it, but I will: had they not included MJ, there would have been at least a small to-do that it was a racist decision not to include him.

Since it was a movie industry tribute, it would have been more appropriate to include Farrah and not MJ, IMHO.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Maybe a few people would have grumbled but since he wasn't a movie star, I don't think there would have been any problem. I think he was included because he led the way in making videos into mini-movies and, most importantly, he was one of the most famous people of the last century (which is a lot more attention grabbing than a black and white still of a 1950's makeup artist) so he got included in the tribute.

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Gee. It's too bad Bea Arthur and Farrah Fawcett-Majors didn't have some new Blu-rays or DVDs that needed selling. They too could have received a tribute like that towering figure of cinematic innovation Michael Jackson. I mean, what the hell, it is not like an entertainment career that spanned 50 years (in the case of Bea Arthur) was nearly as worthy of recognition as Michael Jackson's huge contribution to the cinematic arts with such astounding innovations as "Thriller". I mean, I knew from the first time I saw it that "Thriller" would be destined to join such greats as "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Casablanca" as a beacon of great cinematic art.

Maybe they were "only" TV stars but Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur were still actors and their careers were largely tied to the film arts. They deserved to be in a tribute to departed film people more than Michael Jackson, who mainly made his living in music arts that weren't even film related.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah but not primarily in motion pictures which is what the Academy recognizes. I'll agree that they both should been there before Michael Jackson though.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

If the tribute hadn't included MJ, I could accept the argument that Farrah shouldn't have been included. His bizarre inclusion changed that. Farrah wasn't a big movie star, but she did make a few semi-notable flicks and did get a Golden Globe nomination for one.

MJ didn't do squat as a film actor. Nor did Bea Arthur - she had a more substantial film career, but she didn't make sense as someone to mention at the Oscars...

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Thriller revolutionized an entire sub-genre of short films. It basically turned the music video from being concert footage or kitschy studio dress-up winks at the camera to an art form. (The Beatles notwithstanding. Outside of their feature films their "music videos" were not telling a story like Thriller does.)

His merit as an "actor" is certainly questionable, but as a contributor to film history he's pretty significant. Thriller was just added to the Library of Congress for preservation to boot.

11. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

I must say I don't get the obsession everyone seems to have with this "In Memoriam" segment and who it didn't include. Just goes over my head, I guess.

12. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

I think all four (MJ, Farrah Fawcett, Ricardo Montalbon, and Bea Arthur) should've been in the segment.

I mean the Oscars is already bloated as is ... and they're trying to save a few seconds off this segment? Disrespectful IMO.

Cut it out from somewhere else like those ridiculously long dance numbers that have nothing to do with the nominated movies.

Michael Jackson deserves to be there because "Thriller" is still the quintessential movie-music video-short film hybrid, not to mention "Smooth Criminal" and other stuff he did, both of which brought Hollywood into MTV. How many filmmakers since then got their break making movies because they did music videos first? Thriller and Beat It (hello, West Side Story) were the game-changers that created a bridge between the two mediums.

13. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor

Montalban was in last years 'in memoriam'.

I wouldn't look for consistency or rules or anything; they pick who they pick. They didn't include Gene Siskel because they weren't doing critics except they included Manny Farber last year. When George Harrison died they put him in the tribute and in the past they included Phil Hartman and John Ritter. So if someone figures out the criteria, feel free to share.

14. Michael Reuben

As has been repeatedly noted in this thread, Montalban was included in last year's segment. Can you provide any prior example of someone being included more than once?

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Lots but you could say the same thing about commercials.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

How hard is it going to be to find you on the Blu-ray, Scott?

It's being released tomorrow!

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The only thing Tarantino's movie stars with the Italian original is the title and WWII. His original conception of the movie would have hewed much closer to the Italian film, with a who's-who of action stars playing the five surviving American POWs. As for his "homages" to other works, I guess that's left up to the viewer to weigh.

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Quote:
    I absolutely agree about the applause thing. Save it for the end.

I disagree that nobody remembers The Wiz. That was a pretty iconic film of its era.

As for John Hughes, I think there are two main reasons why he warranted a special tribute: First, he basically had his own genre, which many people consider to be the identifying genre of the '80s (talk about iconic films!). And second, he died quite young and unexpectedly -- that doesn't make him more important, but that sort of tragedy plays big in Hollywood (for lack of a term in better taste).

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Clearly, Mike, you need to pay a visit to Dr. Funkenstein for a funkjection of groove.

(To be honest, after 30+ years, those strange accordion-lookin' dudes still creep me out. . .)